First Bat Bone Build

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Gimbal looks like it's doing well! I've been thinking about trying to build one of those as well but really need to build an issolator first. Finally picked up some stiff wire this weekend so hopefully this week I'll get something built. Of course now I need a better cam...maybe I'll get that mobius for my birthday I put on the list I gave my wife ;)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
You may not need as much of an isolator as the SSG rides on fuel tubing and is somewhat isolated in it's construction. But if you have major vibe issues, a little more isolation never hurts!

DDSFlyer

The only vibration with the SSG is the servo jitter that can occasionally enter the picture. The new FW v1.6++ rev.3 by RC911 (I think) is supposed to help with that. My advice is to get better servos than the HXT900. When you have them mounted opposite like that the servo arms don't line up exactly so I think it can lean one way better than the other. Also, some people have been using better methods to mount the tubing to the servo arms for less play (but maybe more vibration?) My results are definitely from the camera mount from FT. I had very little jello when I didn't have the SSG and I have only started to see some vibrations from the actual servo jitter of the gimbal.
It's not that bad of a build, but the specific measurements were not exactly laid out as easily as I had hoped. I still think that my front mount is off and the geometry of how this thing works isn't exactly right, but that flight came out great. Only editing for shakiness was done with YouTube's auto stabilizer and it wasn't bad before that.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
You may not need as much of an isolator as the SSG rides on fuel tubing and is somewhat isolated in it's construction. But if you have major vibe issues, a little more isolation never hurts!

Yeah, that was one of the things I liked about the SSG - it's somewhat self-issolating and I don't think my vibration issues are that bad. Heck it looks super stable just hovering in front of me. But if I hold it with the motors revved up I can really feel some rough vibes and when I put a camera on it it's jello city.

And I want an issolator anyway because I want to be able to shoot video without a gimbal as well as with. And with the way prices keep dropping I'm really thinking about building a brushless gimbal when I do get around to building one.

DDSFlyer

I'm actually waiting for Flite Test to make one to sell themselves...they hinted at that a few months ago. But they also said they were going to get us plans for The Kraken as well...Bixler

Yfz450manny

First Tricopter build (Bat Bones!)

What do u all think? I gave it a classic Batman theme. :cool:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Yfz450manny

Right on!

Beautiful build. Very clean. How does it fly?

Thanks Cranial!

Haven't really done any tuning yet but took it up for a quick flight in the backyard yesterday. Besides a little bit of high speed oscillation, it flew pretty damn sweet! Tomorrow I'll work out its shivers with some PI tuning but it had some really nice power! I'm running a 4S 2200mah 45C batt, HK NTM 28-26s 1200KV motors, APC 8x4.5MR props and HK 20A (slim) Afro ESC's rewired w/18AWG wire. I punched it a few times and this sucker shot up like a rocket! Hovers at just under 1/2 throttle.

Last edited: