First "Flight" and first Crash

FDS

Elite member
Many UK sellers on EBay ship anywhere in the EU, standard CFC free 5mm board works great. I have done 5 builds out of about €30 worth of board, with enough for another 3-4 minis left over.
This seller had a triple layer of packaging and posts anywhere. Glue on the sheets was good too.
The tiled A plans work fine on A4 and have printed well for me on several different printers. Be sure to do a test page and measure the scale with your steel rule to check the print sizing was correct.

d8veh

Elite member
I ordered new Props and this time they are turning the right way! So finally I will be able to fly again on the weekend! :giggle:

And I am currently thinking of trying to do a scratch build (without speedbuild kit). Therefore I am researching the best foamboard to use for that purpose. Foamboard that I can buy in Germany for less than 120,-€ per Box that is...

- Robert
I bought mine directly from USA (box of 50 sheets). It was maybe a little cheaper than the cheapest European suppliers by the time i added on the shipping and duty costs.
This seems to be the cheapest UK supplier:
https://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk...liteTest/27962-/Flite-Test-Adams-Board-FT4000

Romf

Hi,

I finally got my TT in the air again! Yeah!

I had to issues:
a) The plane had a strong tendency to pitch up. I balanced it to be completely level when held up at the CG markings on the wings and the elevators were completely flat in neutral position. Any ideas?

b) When I flew with my 3 cell battery I accidentely put so much G-load on the plane, that one of the wings folded up (3 channel wing). Is there a way to given them more strength? Could I prevent that to happen with the 4 channel wing?

That's how it looked:
IMG_0256.jpg

- Robert

P.S.: I also completed a short and silly video of my maiden from last week:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The CG point given is a starting point as the wing profile can vary with each persons build. so you could try to shift the battery marginally further forward or add a little nose weight. Also you do not state if it tends to pitch up without throttle. Sometimes the thrust angle can be a little off especially if you selected a different motor.prop combination. If it glides flat and pitches up when you open the throttle then adjust the motor thrust line down a little and test again. With enough downthrust the throttle response will be neutral in pitch!

The quickest way to increase the wing strength without adding too much extra weight is to revise the wing spar from a single piece of FB with the paper laying flat to a number of narrower spars with the paper running from the bottom piece of the wing to the top piece of the wing. With the paper vertical?? and a number of the vertical spars glued together the wing strength increased markedly.

From the little the video did show I would recommend that you turn down the rates on the rudder especially and add a little more expo, (set to 35%). From what I saw you fought it well but still overcontrolled it all the way to the ground! I lost many aircraft the same way when i started.

Otherwise you did very well and you have started your progress towards the day when you will be able to fly anything!

have fun!

d8veh

Elite member
Probably not enough down-thrust on the motor. You need about 3 deg.. You should look for a difference between should when you have the motor on and when you're gliding with it off. If it glides OK and only climbs with the motor on, you need more down-thrust.

The wing folding is because you used too much throttle. The wing isn't very strong, but it should be OK for trainer-type flying, but if you do loops and dives at full throttle, it will fold. With 3S, you need to reduce the throtle, except when you want to climb and loop. If you want to loop, you must zero the throttle as the plane starts to dive down, and you can gradually increase it when you get to the bottom of the loop.

Last edited: