First FPV setup Advice

Ace2317

So I'm looking into getting my first FPV setup. I really want to do goggles, mainly for the portability and immersion. I'm leaning toward the Fatshark Teleporter V3, the cheapest set of goggles. I also know that the antennas should be upgraded to circular polarized. However, I don't know much else of anything I may need, problems I may encounter, etc. My two main questions are as follows.

One, any advice to someone looking into their first FPV setup would be greatly appreciated. What problems did you encounter?

Two, are there any issues with the Teleporter V3 that I should know about?

You guys rock. I'll take any advice I can get! Thanks in advance!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The Teleporter kit is a good inexpensive set, but kinda low end. The goggles work fine but they're about the botom end (small screen/FOV). The pilot cam that comes with it has a bit more lag than I'd care for . . . So about the only thing that would survive an upgrade path is the VTX.

The HK Quantum DIY kit with VTX/RTX and camera is cheaper, the gear is very interchangable and functions well, with the bigest single downside being the kit's screen -- size is fantastic for immersion but the resolution is low. As such, on an upgrade path it's the only thing that wouldn't survive (although the VRX might become redundant), and it would more easily become a guest monitor than the teleporter goggles. There is quite a bit more assembly/soldering/cablemaking involved with this kit, however -- not bad, but not plug-n-play.

The Preditor kit is a good midrange goggle with a good camera and VTX. IMO, it's a better deal than the Teleporters in the long run, but at their price I wouldn't buy one untill you've had a chance to try a flight on one -- some people dont' care for goggles, and most won't know untill they've tried it out -- not that bad of a hit on a teleporter, but a preditor . . . best to check first.

For high end, I'd point toward the Skyzone's, but at ~$500+ if you don't want everything in the whole package, probably best to go with a midrage set.

Ace2317

Awesome! Thanks a lot! I really feel like I will prefer the goggles, but I don't know for sure. Looks like I have some more research to do. So if I were to go with Predators, would there be anything that would really NEED an upgrade? I saw you said it's better overall, so would it be basically plug and play?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
pretty much.

The upgrade path will depend on your taste and desire, but there are those who are perfectly happy to stick with the preditior goggles.

Upgrading the camera can give you better low light vision, view angle or slightly higher resolution, but on the whole the stock cam performs well. Upgrading the VTX can get you a bit more range and penetration in foleage, but it performs well stock. there's a good chance you'll end up buying another pair of these anyways, if you eventually want to outfit a second airframe.

If the kit you buy doesn't come with them, do get a pair of circular polarized antennas -- a good set of antennas will dramaticlally improve the system.