Flite Fest 2017 International Air Races

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
If someone is still looking for a template, I recommend the Heinkel He 100 (First flight: 22 January 1938).

Ghe100-2.jpg

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
Both Messerschmitt and Heinkel vied for the absolute speed record before the war. Messerschmitt ultimately won that battle with the first prototype of the Me 209, but the He 100 briefly held the record when Heinkel test pilot Hans Dieterle flew the eighth prototype to 746.606 km/h (463.919 mph) on 30 March 1939. The third and eighth prototypes were specially modified for speed, with unique outer wing panels of reduced span. The third prototype crashed during testing. The record flight was made using a special version of the DB 601 engine that offered 2,010 kW (2,700 hp) and had a service life of just 30 minutes. Prior to setting this absolute speed record over a short, measured course, Ernst Udet flew the second prototype to a 100 km (62 mi) closed course record of 634.32 km/h (394.15 mph) on 5 June 1938. Udet's record was apparently set using a standard DB 601a engine.

However, although the Me 209 V1 (Me 109R) officially won over the He 100 and held the world speed record for piston engined aircraft for roughly 30 years, some historians such as Erwin Hood, state that the Me 209 V1's flight was 450 meters above sea level due to the topography of where its flight was held (at Augsburg) compared to that the He 100 V8's location of 50 meters above sea level (in Mecklenburg), thus their speed comparisons are not valid as the higher an aircraft goes, the lower the density of the atmosphere is, thus there's less drag. Hood then asserts that due to his own calculations, if the He 100 V8 had flown at the same altitude of the Me 209 V1, it would have obtained a speed of 757 kph.
Read the full article.

Here a template:
he-100.gif

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I'm not sure if I'll be participating in this event yet (waiting to see what rules are set) but I've been working on a Heinkel He 100 for a little bit. Definitely going to be a nice flying airplane :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm not sure if I'll be participating in this event yet (waiting to see what rules are set)

I like the approach of 'use inspiration to build now, adjust plans later to meet rules'. 'Cause I think more than a few people could have designs complete and be on prototype builds by the time we're done hashing out the rules. :)

RCBuildIdeas

How about a Miles M-5 Sparrowhawk?

I can start it in SketchUp and adapt it to the final rules package.

I was thinking about this one also before I found the Percival Gull; I would rather not build a gull wing, so I might go with the Sparrowhawk also. I'll watch your build thread if you start one.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
For anyone looking for a racer to build...Lockheed Altair "Lady Southern Cross"
I just found this and decided to pass it along. A fun little plane. The original had retracts. Might be fun if done in a "FT MM Corsair" type build.

Lockheed_Altair_001.jpg
Lockheed_Altair_003.jpg
altair Plan2.jpg
altair Plan1.jpg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Very cool plane! I think it would make a nice racer at our scale.

After the He 100 was posted I decided to finish up the plans. They are build ready!

YWSnJnl.png

yE8YyBE.png

Michael9865

Elite member
I have a few questions to the rules. Will there be motor classes or a maximum motor size? Must the entry have a scale paint job or anything goes? How scale does the entry need to be?

For the Bixler Trophy - How about this idea. The contestants are timed making say 10 laps around the circuit. Then after two or three runs over the course the times are added up to figure out who took the least amount of time to cover the total distance. If the airplane crashes the entry is scratched from the contest. If say their landing gear collapses on landing then they have until their next heat to have the airplane/entry airworthy like it was for heat 1.

Thank you for heading this all up.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I'm working on the final touches for the design-off. Look for a new thread on that to appear sometime tomorrow.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
SO, moving on with this thread I am still looking for input to refine rules around the races. I will summarize the current input and ideas for each race.

NOTE: These are not final rules!!! This is a summary of possible rules.

Furey Cup
Spotter required with a stopwatch to get individual times.
3 pylons and a preliminary course has been designed.
Must use aircraft from the Design-off to keep size relative
Max of 4S, possible limit on mAh

Bixler Trophy
All up, last down, Endurance focused, going far and fast
Average (or total time) lap time and correction for every lap flown
Must use aircraft from the Design-off
All starts with same energy (mAh), No limit on motor/prop/ESC combo
minimum wing loading
Pace plane

Please please give your input on these. Please also keep in mind the limitations of the aircraft in the design-off. See the rules in that thread.

Attachments

• FFIAR-course.png
    FFIAR-course.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Finding very little evidence of any track layout I designed the above pattern myself. The idea being a focus on simplicity (relative term, I know) and safety. The idea is that there is just one turn into a spectator area. This area can be a focus area for flight line managers to warn spectators of. After all, this will be for speed and tight turns may cause some stalls. With a large turn center-field and further back there should be a good view of some possible stalled turns as well as opportunity for mid-airs with the crossing flight path. I do not think that there will be a real "altitude maximum" but there does need to be clean flying to indicate that a pylon was properly rounded. Diving into turns would be allowable. This same course would be for endurance and speed, unless there are any objections or better suggestions.

I wanted to balance the objective and entertainment. There is a straightaway for all-out speed showcasing as well as opportunity for mid-airs and high-g maneuvers for clapping wing events. Lots of stuff mixed in here. Having the layout established in-advance can allow folks to practice at their home fields. Therefore, the exact distance should be determined as that is still up in the air.