Flite Fest 2022 Community Challenge – WWI “Dawn Patrol”

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
How do I sign up?

Just post in this thread what aircraft you're planning to do, and then when/if you start a build thread share the link.

I want to keep this thread relatively clean so we can manage details about the event and such, so I'd like to see people do their own build threads for us to follow along with. We'll post pictures and details for completed models as people get them built.

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
Maybe I should try to build the gotha bomber. I’m not really in the mood for building tho, I’ll just watch y’all😉

Spitfire76

I’ve started designing a 1/9th Bristol M1C for the HangarRC build off challenge so maybe if it works out ok I could scale it up to 1/6th for this one too. The reason for choosing 1/9th was mainly to comply with the motor specifications of the challenge while maintaining a reasonable wing span (41”). The prop diameter of the full scale M1 is 8 ft. 6 1/2 in and so at 1/9 scale its just over 11 “ but hoping to getaway with a 10” which the 2212 motor should be able to handle. At 1/6 it would require a 17” prop and obviously requires a much larger motor.

As far as I can tell there are no foam board builds of this plane although their are a number of balsa ones. I am trying to gather as much information as possible from documentation of the full scale M1 and have found and purchased some old publications from e-bay. I’ve also contacted a museum in the UK that has a flying replica of the plane.

https://www.baesystems.com/en/heritage/bristol-m1-monoplane

Regarding my 1/9th scale build so far I have just designed and built a prototype wing.

Attachments

• IMG_3059.jpg
    IMG_3059.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

wilmracer

Mentor
I’ve started designing a 1/9th Bristol M1C for the HangarRC build off challenge so maybe if it works out ok I could scale it up to 1/6th for this one too. The reason for choosing 1/9th was mainly to comply with the motor specifications of the challenge while maintaining a reasonable wing span (41”). The prop diameter of the full scale M1 is 8 ft. 6 1/2 in and so at 1/9 scale its just over 11 “ but hoping to getaway with a 10” which the 2212 motor should be able to handle. At 1/6 it would require a 17” prop and obviously requires a much larger motor.

As far as I can tell there are no foam board builds of this plane although their are a number of balsa ones. I am trying to gather as much information as possible from documentation of the full scale M1 and have found and purchased some old publications from e-bay. I’ve also contacted a museum in the UK that has a flying replica of the plane.

https://www.baesystems.com/en/heritage/bristol-m1-monoplane

Regarding my 1/9th scale build so far I have just designed and built a prototype wing.

Looks really nice! FWIW while we do plan to give out some awards this won't be like a Top Gun event so I wouldn't obsess about getting the prop diameter 100% scale :p

1:6th would be about 61" span and should still be pretty lightweight. Let me know if you want me to add you to participants list. If you don't have the parts or time to do a 1:6th we'd still love to see your 1:9th at Flite Fest!

Spitfire76

Looks really nice! FWIW while we do plan to give out some awards this won't be like a Top Gun event so I wouldn't obsess about getting the prop diameter 100% scale :p

1:6th would be about 61" span and should still be pretty lightweight. Let me know if you want me to add you to participants list. If you don't have the parts or time to do a 1:6th we'd still love to see your 1:9th at Flite Fest!
It was not so much the scale of the prop but rather the power of the motor/prop. The HangarRC challenge requires a "B" pack motor which I imagine is underpowered for a 61" wing span plane. My FT Storch is about the largest wing span plane that I've built and thats around 57.5 inches and even with a "C" pack motor it sometimes flies in reverse when there is a bit of a head wind. The only FF that I've managed to get to was back in 2017 when they held FF West here in California and although I would love to come to this years FF it's a bit of a trek from here. Having said that its not impossible for me to attend and so let me see how things go.

Yankee2003

797043FE-4C6A-4303-8D2B-B1D5CA0C8217.jpeg

Plans printed (Willsonman …….went to Fed Ex, decided buying a full size printer was for a later date. Thank you for the idea though).
I can start a Builduary as soon as I know what that is and how I can link it. Until then I will keep my photos here in my iPad to keep this thread clean as you requested.
Have fun guys….see you in my Builduary.

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Already this year I have committed to 4 builds for the Build-ruary challenge, am working on a design for the Hangar RC contest, and have a project lined up for the RCGroups Vintage build-off. Along with the dozen+ projects I already had stashed around the workshop, it would be very irresponsible for me to join this challenge...

So my entry will be a 1/6 scale Sopwith Tabloid :LOL:
Build log started here: Linky

Attachments

• tabloid-2.jpg
    tabloid-2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0

wilmracer

Mentor
I can start a Builduary as soon as I know what that is and how I can link it. Until then I will keep my photos here in my iPad to keep this thread clean as you requested.

Plans look great!

While not absolutely necessary all we're looking for folks to do is start a build thread (I started mine in "Mad (Scratch) Builder's Corner" as that seems to be the busiest sub-forum). Put something in the title about the Dawn Patrol Challenge and then just share your build like you would any other. Let me know when you start one and I'll grab the link and include it next to your name/model in the "participants" section above.

Happy building!

wilmracer

Mentor
Already this year I have committed to 4 builds for the Build-ruary challenge, am working on a design for the Hangar RC contest, and have a project lined up for the RCGroups Vintage build-off. Along with the dozen+ projects I already had stashed around the workshop, it would be very irresponsible for me to join this challenge...

So my entry will be a 1/6 scale Sopwith Tabloid :LOL:
Build log started here: Linky

That is just the kind of responsible decision I applaud :p. Extra points if you build and bring some scale floats. There have been a few Flite Fests where those would have really come in handy :ROFLMAO:

Welcome aboard

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
View attachment 215078

Plans printed (Willsonman …….went to Fed Ex, decided buying a full size printer was for a later date. Thank you for the idea though).
Have fun guys….see you in my Builduary.

So just a fun tip, If you are scaling up plans it generally a good idea to put in a touch of washout at the tips. This obviously worked VERY well for my 1/4 scale Fokker. Remember, air does not scale so airfoil modifications are something to consider if you are noodling around with plan sizing.

Yankee2003

Well, it's about time I write my first forum post/reply and try my hand at my first full scratch build.
I'd like to put my name in for a 1/6 scale Voisin 8. Not saying it's going to be pretty, but I'll give it the ol' college try.
We will both be going through it for the first time.
I will posts pictures of my effort as an encouragement to you. I will be trying to simplify the build as much as possible. Shooting for an FT type…fun scale…ish…flyer. I am excited to learn from the challenges.
I wish you luck.

wilmracer

Mentor
Well, it's about time I write my first forum post/reply and try my hand at my first full scratch build.
I'd like to put my name in for a 1/6 scale Voisin 8. Not saying it's going to be pretty, but I'll give it the ol' college try.

Welcome aboard! Great subject too! You'll likely be the largest entry too. With 118" span that will be even bigger than the current 1:4 scale birds!

On edit: Let me know when you start a build thread and we'll link it in the participants list. A build thread would also be a perfect place to get support from the community. @willsonman likely has some thoughts after his big Gotha build and his experience with giant scale foamies.

Last edited: