Flite Test Forum Build-Off

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Hrrmmmm... Maybe. Maybe I'll actually build that damn DC-3 I've been talking about building. It should qualify because even though I designed it a long time ago and built one, I never mounted a motor to it. Never test flew it. Never even did a glide test.

But twin motors still make me nervous. ("Nervous" is probably the wrong word for it.)

... I'll have to think about this one. Maybe I'll even go with a different plane and start from complete scratch. (Design it, build it, etc.)

saiga556

Full of...
saiga556
scratchbuilt
34" span Caudron C.450/460
Build Thread

Close to done but not painted and electronics/landing gear not installed. I just want it to be scored, see what people think.

Thanks to whomever got my thread title changed, craftydan I'm guessing.

Also thanks to wilsonman for generating this challenge.

Last edited:
Is the electric power rule carved in stone? Maybe just sandstone, or even soapstone, and could be edited to include glow power?? My only current "semi-scale" plans are for glow....

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Could you do an electric conversion? I would like to keep the playing field a little more even by sticking to electrics. IC has another, different (not additional), layer that is not really comparable to electrics.

Possibly... Maybe I'll build it electric first and prototype my retracts, it's a plane that really needs retracts. It would be a bit heavy for electric, but I might be able to lighten it up a bit. It's currently a full sheet build. However, with a large enough motor the weight could be overcome;) I would probably have it laser cut rather than cutting by hand since it doesn't have a lot of equal size ribs and all the fuselage formers are unique. Maybe I'll get two short kits cut and one for glow and one for electric. I could go with an Army Air Corp scheme on one and a Navy scheme on another.

4781.jpg

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
rcspaceflight... I'll bite, but, please follow all the rules and create a proper entry post ;)

Roversgonmad... just a little teaser to show whats out there. I've had my fair share of compliments on my models. Its builds like that that make mine look like a 1st grader making a paper airplane out of coffee stirrers. I have ZERO skills next to that guy. One day? Nope, never.

rcspaceflight

rcspaceflight... I'll bite, but, please follow all the rules and create a proper entry post ;)

I honestly don't see how I'm breaking any of the rules. Ultimately it's up to you as contest moderator whether it qualifies or not. I'm not claiming that a Haunebu was ever flown or even built. All I'm saying is that it was probably seriously looked at and designed by German engineers which fits the current rules. But if you want to take experimental / never flown designs off the table, then do so.

I was thinking of going with the VZ-9 Avrocar, but I don't like the shape of it as much. It doesn't seem as possible to actually get it to fly.

I do openly admit to stretching the rules as far as I can. But where's the fun in completely following rules?

Regardless of your ruling willsonman, I will continue to build the Haunebu II Do Stra because it's something I've been thinking of building for a while and this contest did inspire me to actually go for it. :D (If it's a nay I will rename the thread to remove the 'Scale Build Off' portion and edit the first post to reflect the ruling.)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I think you misunderstood me. I'm saying yes, as it qualifies as an experimental aircraft of sorts. I just need you to do the proper post in this thread to clearly state your entry, per the rule in post #1.

rcspaceflight

I think you misunderstood me. I'm saying yes, as it qualifies as an experimental aircraft of sorts. I just need you to do the proper post in this thread to clearly state your entry, per the rule in post #1.

Cool! I certainly don't expect to win, I'm just having a little fun. I'd honestly be embarrassed to win anything because every other current entry is a long extensive build where as mine is a weekend project. Anyways.

rcspaceflight
Scratch Built
Haunebu II Do Stra
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?15111-Scale-Build-Off-Haunebu-II-Do-Stra