Flite Test Forum Build-Off

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I never looked at Post #2 with the entrants until now, and noticed my name wasn't on the list. I assume I was added to the list later on?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Apologies. I remember not adding it as the format was not per the instructions. I never specifically informed you that it was wrong... my bad. I've added you to the list. Apologies for the oversight.

With a month and half left I figured I would start coming the threads and updating the completion status of each project. This will make life a little less burdensome for the adjudicators.

joker24458

I should probably get back to work on the BF-109 as well.....it is done and in flying condition, but I might build a second set of wings with a full airfoil and functional flaps. Scale detail and a better cockpit would be nice too....

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
everyone-is-building-xnjihx.jpg

joker24458

My bad. :rolleyes: In all honesty I got caught up in things and completely forgot about it. Here is a simple breakdown of what to do:

1. Find 3-view, as clear and large and non-pixelated as possible (especially if scaling up plans). Make sure the plans have fuselage formers if you want to make it full fuse.
2. Scale 3-view to size. Print plans as "poster" as a quick, easy way to tile it.
3. Cut out former plans, side view of fuse, top view of fuse, and wing.
4. Cut out formers. Trim off some foam that is equal to the thickness of the foam around the former.
5. Make a + shaped section with foam that is slightly longer than the fuse (have some extra to work with). Dimensions depend on the size of the plane, I used a 2x2" for the 109.
6. Note where the formers are placed on the fuselage 3-view plans and mark that on the + section.
7. Cut + shaped holes in the middle of each former (won't be exactly middle in most cases, the plans should have the center line marked for both vertical and horizontal axis).
8. Slide formers onto + shaped section to their designated place. Glue down after making sure they are in the right position.
9. Make "stringers" that are fairly wide that fit the sides of the fuse from the 3-view and top/bottom.
10. Notch formers to fit stringers, glue stringers in place. Can add some extra stringers for more rigidity, but unnecessary for light/slow-flying builds.
11. Sheet the fuse with foam or material of your choice. Do it one small section at a time. Only use one piece of foam when there is a straight section without a lot of bend or curves. This part is tricky and time-consuming, but the more time you take on it, the better the plane will look. This is also where most of the strength comes in. Before you start sheeting, install pushrods and linkages and servos. You can do this later, but it will be much more of a hassle.
12. Moving on to the wings....if you are using an undercambered airfoil like I did, match the wing ribs to the wing root at the fuse. Use percents and ratios to scale the ribs up/down, but you can just sketch it if it doesn't need to be perfect.
13. You will need to cut out the wing bigger (chord-wise) than it looks on the plans. To figure out how much more you need, use some string (not too thick) to go over the top of the wing ribs and use that measurement for the chord wherever the rib will be (span-wise).
14. Rule of thumb with scale planes is to increase wingspan and area or tail feathers just a bit.

I hope this is enough to get you going......I will make a more detailed tutorial in the future. :)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
We are now less than 3 weeks away from the completion of the build-off. There are many projects not completed but THAT IS OK!!! Not trying to discourage folks from finishing but I wanted to emphasize that the intent of this was to encourage more building. I will also reiterate that ONLY completed AND flight tested aircraft will be judged.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I know that I will not be finishing mine in time. My "winter break" from the hobby has continued into quitting the hobby. At least for now. There are just too many projects and not enough time. (Non-RC projects.)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Scoring post (#2) has been updated with all entrants that are currently eligible to be scored. 10 days remain.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I've suspected it since early March...but it's pretty official at this point that I'm not going to finish in time :(

Due to injury and a big project at work eating all my free time progress has been VERY slow the past three months. It hasn't stalled out completely, but I'm lucky to get an hour every couple of weeks right now so most of the time I get to spend I just spend trying to figure out what needs to be done next :( Plus now the next few months are looking just as busy or busier at work and the injury is still slowing me down.

I'd much rather bow out gracefully and give this build the attention and detail it deserves than rush just to fly it in time. Can I enter the same build again next year if you do it again - I may have a chance in 12 months :D

Corbarrad

I'm afraid I'll have to throw in the towel as well. My job hasn't left me with much free time to fly, much less build. Also, my build area is stuffed with materials I bought to refurbish my living room, another project postponed due to work...
The good news is that i've officially got vacation time alotted for flite fest, so I'll concentrate my resources on that.

I suppose today is the day... I have mine all built but not flown. I'm expecting a total score of 2-3. its not a great looking plane, but it IS my first design, and I'm pretty proud of myself for that. I think mine wins in terms of cheapness. half a sheet of foam board, about 35 bucks of electronics in the plane in total. excited to see everyone surpass my plane in terms of size, score, and coolness factor.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
IT'S ALL OVER!!!

Post #s 2 and 3 have been updated.

@ SpaceWalker1992: As per rule #4 you will not be included in the adjudication. Still, your workmanship has been excellent and a joy to watch.

To ALL participants:
I want to personally thank you for your participation. These builds have done much for the forum in general for people to really stretch their abilities and observe what can be done. I honestly believe that this build-off has accomplished all that it was intended for and you, as the participants, are what made it so successful. The scoring really does not matter at this point. There are just 4 qualified entrants and by default, Noob wins the kit-built category.

An honorable mention goes to Joker 53150 for his Ryan Navion that crashed on maiden in the plans-built category. This was an exceptional build with many modifications from the plans that were appropriate to make this model more successful for flying. Exceptional build quality and detailed posts outlining problems encountered with solutions presented in detail with explanations.

As stated, the scoring will be posted by June 30th. I encourage any participant to bring their entry to Flight Fest (if attending) to further foster this community and the great things that are happening here.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
An honorable mention goes to Joker 53150 for his Ryan Navion that crashed on maiden in the plans-built category. This was an exceptional build with many modifications from the plans that were appropriate to make this model more successful for flying. Exceptional build quality and detailed posts outlining problems encountered with solutions presented in detail with explanations.

Thanks! The Navion will fly again some day soon. I spent so much time working on it in such a shor time, fiberglassing, sanding, etc that I kind of burned myself out on it for a while. It'll sit until I get a few other builds out of the way, and then it's back to the bench!

I have excuses for not flying, but that probably wont change much. Its been great to participate and see all these great designs. I learned so much about scratch building from others. No matter what I will still post the flight video. Its been really drizzly for the last few days, or else I would have gone to fly it. thanks to all of you guys for showing me what can be done through scratch building, I learned a lot of new techniques. I will definitely participate next year, then maybe my work will be comparable to your guys' work. Thanks again for motivating me to step out of my comfort zone!

Last edited: