FliteFest 2022 Dawn Patrol - Sopwith Pup

The Fopster

Master member
This evening is the last chance to attempt a maiden in time to “join” the other dawn patrol planes. However, I noticed the wings weren’t aligned properly so it’s almost certainly WAY out of trim. So clearly attempting a maiden would be a terrible idea. Obviously I therefore loaded up the car.

What’s the worst that could happen?
😳

4C565D42-5D74-4377-953A-EC4DDB1C357F.jpeg
AAD6D61E-9191-4FFD-8BE5-2AAA67DD6D35.jpeg

CE073B8F-FADF-4F8D-ACDE-B2B6A8EC3435.jpeg

Last edited:

The Fopster

Master member
Meanwhile, back at the ranch…

I know Flitefest is a distant memory, but I finally plucked up the courage to try to remaiden my Sopwith Pup. After the first failed attempt I guessed it was a wing alignment issue and changed the incidence of one of the lower wings. But I confess I was a bit scared to try it - I’m sure I’m not the only one on here who has had that feeling?

Anyway, I put it in the car and took it to the field today, just in case. I’d decided not to bother as it was quite windy, but after an hour or so the wind suddenly died away to almost nothing. I decided to assemble it and try taxiing to see how it felt, and of course my attemp at a fast taxi got it airborne and then I was committed!

The good news - it was pretty stable, and after landing it and doing some trim adjustment it actually flew pretty nicely. I even managed an authentic scale WW1 nose over on landing. 😳

So - I guess I need to finish painting it now!

Video won’t embed, so here’s a link for anyone who can be bothered to click for proof of flight!
https://youtube.com/shorts/mxueTRqmG_s?feature=share

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Meanwhile, back at the ranch…

I know Flitefest is a distant memory, but I finally plucked up the courage to try to remaiden my Sopwith Pup. After the first failed attempt I guessed it was a wing alignment issue and changed the incidence of one of the lower wings. But I confess I was a bit scared to try it - I’m sure I’m not the only one on here who has had that feeling?

Anyway, I put it in the car and took it to the field today, just in case. I’d decided not to bother as it was quite windy, but after an hour or so the wind suddenly died away to almost nothing. I decided to assemble it and try taxiing to see how it felt, and of course my attemp at a fast taxi got it airborne and then I was committed!

The good news - it was pretty stable, and after landing it and doing some trim adjustment it actually flew pretty nicely. I even managed an authentic scale WW1 nose over on landing. 😳

So - I guess I need to finish painting it now!

Video won’t embed, so here’s a link for anyone who can be bothered to click for proof of flight!
https://youtube.com/shorts/mxueTRqmG_s?feature=share
That flies beautifully!! And a very authentic nose pose on the landing, well done.

The Fopster

Master member
In your reply box there's a smiley face and next to it there are three dots with an arrow pointing down. Click that and a drop down will appear and you can select "Media" and then paste in your YouTube link.
Just get an error message when I try about “can’t embed that format”. It’s a YT “short”, whatever that is…

The Fopster

Master member
Paint and markings started. Paint is just rattle cans, and markings are sticky vinyl hand cut with the kitchen scissors! It will look fine from 5 paces. If you’ve got very long legs. 😆
83B8FD5C-7634-499B-9B3A-D79F8B44F326.jpeg
651A2FE4-9FD9-4BBD-ABF7-2E9BAC58DEBD.jpeg

The Fopster

Master member
Paint and basic markings are done so now I can at least get an idea of what it’ll look like “finished”. I’m really pleased with it - it’s captured the look pretty well. For proof I’ll also share a picture of the full size which I saw yesterday in a museum. Now for the wing struts and rigging…
42E1359C-AD95-4F62-BA83-FEBA912D047C.jpeg
7B9DC029-50F8-43EB-A902-26CCC329B40A.jpeg
BA4AF7AB-5C4B-4BC4-9224-FD32214ED8AB.jpeg
C0A15DC5-344B-4F9D-95CE-8A8BB2030168.jpeg
743A689E-0BDF-4824-989B-AB10A03CCFCF.jpeg

cyclone3350

Master member
Paint and basic markings are done so now I can at least get an idea of what it’ll look like “finished”. I’m really pleased with it - it’s captured the look pretty well. For proof I’ll also share a picture of the full size which I saw yesterday in a museum. Now for the wing struts and rigging…
View attachment 230500 View attachment 230501 View attachment 230502 View attachment 230503 View attachment 230504

I replicated that very Pup a few years ago myself. Looking gorgeous. (y)

cyclone3350

Master member
Thanks. I just searched the forums to find yours - wow! Lots of fantastic scale detailing on that thing. How did you dothe rigging - did you find a good way to make turnbuckles?

Thanks. I used 3/32"/2.5mm brass tube and eye pins to make the turnbuckles. I wouldn't say it was a good way to make 'em, but it worked. Unfortunately, it didn't make the move from Il to Ga in the states very well, so I will be doing a rebuild sometime in the future and may try another way to make the buckles.