Flitetest Versacopters came today!

dropkickjohny

Are you cool, man?
Since I can't find a more appropriate thread, can you guys take a look at my VersaCopter build?

Preface: I am an absolute RC beginner. As this build with be my first, I am learning everything there is to know at the same time. If there is anything I need to change or add, please let me know.

Chasis: VersaCopter
Motors: FX2206-13 2000kv
ESCs: Lumenier Mini 20A ESC w/ SimonK AutoShot, 5V/1A BEC
Props: 6x4.5
Flight Controller: Naze32 rev6
Rx: Spektrum AR400 4-Channel DSMX. Or, when they come out: AR7700 w/ PPM/SRXL/Remote Receiver Output
Battery: 2250mAh 3s 35c
Tx: Spektrum DX6i

One question, what exactly does a remote receiver do, and why/when would I need one?

Your build looks good so far! Here are my comments, such as they are...
  • Try and get a hold of a 5 or 6 channel receiver, otherwise wont be able to change flight modes during flight. Though for a beginner this wont be too big a problem as you'll probably spend most of your time in auto level mode.
  • Your motors and ESCs will work fine on 3s, but that setup will really shine on 4s when youre ready.
To answer your last questions. A remote receiver basically adds another receiver anttena in a different spot on your aircraft. The idea being, if your primary receiver loses signal the remote receiver will hopefully still have a connection.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
3d inserts1.jpg 3d inserts2.jpg

SocalQuad

I noticed that the boom of the versacopter is similar with the immersionrc vortex. Do you think the red motor mount will fit the versacopter?

dropkickjohny

Are you cool, man?
I just sold my Vortex, so I can't measure for sure, I think the Versacopter boom is larger diameter than the Vortex arms.

Wishy

Muse from heaven
Hey, just a question
Could i fit a zippy compact on this bad boy, and if not, whats the second best pick?
Thanks

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Hey, just a question
Could i fit a zippy compact on this bad boy, and if not, whats the second best pick?
Thanks

What mAh zippy compact is it. This frame with the 300 size fpv racer setup can likely fly with up to a 2200mAh or so, although 1300-1800mAh is advised for fpv racers.

Wishy

Muse from heaven
What mAh zippy compact is it. This frame with the 300 size fpv racer setup can likely fly with up to a 2200mAh or so, although 1300-1800mAh is advised for fpv racers.

I was thinking about a 2200 35c zippy compact. I dont plan to do anything too extreme, it's going to be my first one

Also, what type of stabilization could I get for a mobius if i want to get some good videos?

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I was thinking about a 2200 35c zippy compact. I dont plan to do anything too extreme, it's going to be my first one

Also, what type of stabilization could I get for a mobius if i want to get some good videos?

Ok a 2200 should work just fine. The versa copter will be less agile with the weight, but you will have longer flight times which is better for a beginner.

For a frame of this size generally people just directly mount the camera to the frame. Foam or velcro might be used to eliminate jello in the video. For super stable video you would use a gimbal, but even a gimbal for a mobius is probably too much for the stock versacopter. That said a gimbal on a mini quad is possible. Strapping the mobius directly to the frame should be enough for good videos.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin

I'm with snarls on this one. Just do the video from the frame. I've looked into gimbals for the mobius, but haven't found anything particularly appealing that would fit on a 250/280 sized frame.

Having it hard mounted to the frame will encourage you to improve your flying skills, which is always a good thing.

Wishy

Muse from heaven
As long as it's stable enough to fly well and get some good footage, I dont really need more. Gimbals are still pretty expensive when they are not needed, so yeah, I'll stay with some velcro and stabilizing the props for now until gimbals get cheaper and better
I know this a long lived debate, but if I want to buy a pair of goggles and an fpv rx, should I stick with less weight or get a flight cam for half a second of delay? I live in an area where there are a lot of trees, and my eyes have problems with depth perception, so I guess seeing the trees coming faster might be good?
Could anyone show what fooutage they got from a versacopter that's not as tuned as the ones at FT, since mine will not be
I guess I'm taking over this post, but oh well... This is the closest post I could find

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I know this a long lived debate, but if I want to buy a pair of goggles and an fpv rx, should I stick with less weight or get a flight cam for half a second of delay? I live in an area where there are a lot of trees, and my eyes have problems with depth perception, so I guess seeing the trees coming faster might be good?

I would get a dedicated FPV camera. With a race sized quad especially a delay in the camera feed will make it hard to fly fast and accurately. As a beginner you'll probably being flying slower, but the delay could still mess you up. Board cams are pretty light weight anyway. If you are flying AP with a GPS stabilized flight controller then flying through the recording camera can be ok. Also I'm not sure if the mobius has a similar issue, but with a GoPro if you fly through it, it can sometimes shut off mid flight.

tegs

Since I can't find a more appropriate thread, can you guys take a look at my VersaCopter build?

Preface: I am an absolute RC beginner. As this build with be my first, I am learning everything there is to know at the same time. If there is anything I need to change or add, please let me know.

Chasis: VersaCopter
Motors: FX2206-13 2000kv
ESCs: Lumenier Mini 20A ESC w/ SimonK AutoShot, 5V/1A BEC
Props: 6x4.5
Flight Controller: Naze32 rev6
Rx: Spektrum AR400 4-Channel DSMX. Or, when they come out: AR7700 w/ PPM/SRXL/Remote Receiver Output
Battery: 2250mAh 3s 35c
Tx: Spektrum DX6i

One question, what exactly does a remote receiver do, and why/when would I need one?

I am just completing my versacopter build and was having a lot of trouble with the naze32 rev6. In the flitetest build video they must be using naze32 rev5 or something because I could not get rev6 to work with cleanflite at first, it would connect but would not show an accelerometer response until I manually loaded a firmware hex file for naze32 rev6, hopefully they will have this firmware automatically available in cleanflight future versions soon but here is the link for now, good luck with your build! http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_144512912617610&key=8a24c98a696b4e5723db293f62190b87&libId=ifvskgq6010004o4000DLburp3qe0&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rcgroups.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2509020&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fcleanflight.memoryleaks.org%2Fbuilds%2Fcleanflight_cleanflight%2F2015-09-19%2F2147_805ee8c_travis_cleanflight_NAZE.hex&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&title=Got%20A%20Naze32%20Rev6%20Here%20-%20RC%20Groups&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fcleanflight.memoryleaks.org%2Fb...light_NAZE.hex

Fusebox

The versacopter will fly with a 2200, but you can feel that it is heavier. The quad isn't quite as snappy as with a lighter battery. But I have a stock of 2200's so that's what I use most of the time.

tegs: Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the board. Glad to see you got yours working though.

Well after the many weeks of hard flying, I have had some close calls. The other day I was doing super low flips. I was about 5 feet off the ground doing flips. It was awesome. I did about 5 flips and rolls at that height (showing off to myself haha). The 6th flip I did didn't work out like the others... I did the flip and over-rotated. I tried to correct but by the time I tried to correct, the right side motors were already in the dirt. Broke 3 props and twisted the motors around and in on the booms. No big deal though. Replaced the props and straightened her out and it was back in the air. No delrin pieces were broken, which was a pleasant surprise. I am glad that I bought the replacement delrin pack though. It has allowed me to get more ambitious with my flying knowing that I can get it back in the air right away if I dumb thumb it to the point of no return.

I have been enjoying reading about everyone's experience with their versacopters. I started this thread just to have discussion about it. Anything is on topic and it's not stealing the thread. Have a good Sunday everyone. Hopefully you can get out and fly. Here's a picture of my bird after the crash for your enjoyment. 20151014_183328.jpg

Ludodg

i was hoping that the Versacopter-platform would provide copy-able PID-data.
I found the cleanflight naze32-setup on flitetest.com/setups but that was for a 4s-setup.
I think it would be a good idea to also provide a basic Cleanflight-setup for the versacopter with the proposed E Power pack, as this is what beginners would likely use.
.. Or am I wrong?

Fusebox

i was hoping that the Versacopter-platform would provide copy-able PID-data.
I found the cleanflight naze32-setup on flitetest.com/setups but that was for a 4s-setup.
I think it would be a good idea to also provide a basic Cleanflight-setup for the versacopter with the proposed E Power pack, as this is what beginners would likely use.
.. Or am I wrong?

I agree 100% with you on that. I was annoyed when Flitetest made the naze setup video for the versacopter and Josh had a completely different setup in the video than what beginners would use with the power pack.