Foam wing DLG electric

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Pretty, and would be distinct in the air . . . one caution: black + sun can be bad for foam composites. Even the nicer cancer-foams will off-gas when heated, which is trapped under the glass. A black wing left unattended in the sun on a warm day can start to delam.

This is affected by climate ("hot" can be relative), so YMMV.

Yet another thing you might start considering . . . hangar rash. You've put a lot of work into that wing, it probably deserves a set of wing-bags. lots of ways to do that, but getting an old car sun-shade (the reflective bubble-wrap kind) and folding/stitching makes a nice set, cheap. Being reflective, they also serve well as wing covers between flights.

bracesport

Legendary member
Yip, I noticed when painting the wing heated up while drying for a moment in the sun! Wing covers, another great idea

I just printed the graphics on the photocopier to make a painting template and scrounged for some dazzle paint in the workshop - we shall see how this turns out!

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
That's very cool looking!!

I just subscribed to your youtube channel griff - you are way ahead of me!

Way to go!

Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 11.47.17 AM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
A bit of post-Christmas build action today and the closer I get to the finish line the further away it all seems. My last build with foam and tape took a few hours compared to this one which is taking weeks! This build is getting a bit out of control!

Painting the wing graphics went reasonably well, masking tape cut from my templates then transferred to the wing is a pretty easy process, but I did get a bit of bleed that needs to be sorted at some point.

The wings are joined to my centre mount which also locates the 4mm bolts that connect the wing to the fuse. I chose to epoxy the bolts in place and slotted two of the holes in the fuse mount to make assembly possible.

IMG_4997.jpg
IMG_4999.JPG
IMG_5001.JPG
IMG_5003.JPG
IMG_5004.JPG
IMG_5005.JPG
IMG_5024.JPG

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
Well, I decided to use the Bixler 2 spare part tail I bought to make the 'V' tail. I'm thinking it will be light and a simple way to try out the tail design without too much effort and if it goes wrong I can live with it!

I borrowed the basic tail design from the SKUA 1.5m 'V' tail but opted for 110 deg in the 'V'. The SKUA has similar overall dimensions as my glider so the sizing should be OK! The tail will be a bit fatter at about 15mm, so I hope 'Crafty Dan' is right that it will help me fly slow!

Essentially I sliced and diced to get the basic shape, hot glued the two halves together and dry fitted it to see if it looks OK! I am going to use my same technique using the cable ties for the hinges. The foam seems to be OK with high build spray filler so I think I will be able to shape the leading edges quite well in the next stage!

Wish me luck!

IMG_5025.JPG
IMG_5033.JPG
IMG_5028.JPG
IMG_5029.JPG
SKUA.png

bracesport

Legendary member
Small update to fit the cable tie hinges using the same technique I previously used on the main wing. Given the tail is EPS foam I just used a small Philips screwdriver to make the holes.

Time to trim the edges and clean them up for painting and they then glue to the CF tail boom.

IMG_5034.JPG
IMG_5035.JPG
IMG_5039.JPG

kdobson83

What are the chances you will post your 3d files? This looks very interesting and I might look into building one myself. Heavily modified and simpler than yours but similar in concept. Your 3d files could get me a GREAT starting point.

bracesport

Legendary member
What are the chances you will post your 3d files? This looks very interesting and I might look into building one myself. Heavily modified and simpler than yours but similar in concept. Your 3d files could get me a GREAT starting point.

easy peasy - what format would you like the files? I use Onshape which is a cloud-based CAD system and the operating kernel is Parasolid same as Solidworks, but I can export in whatever format you need?

Last edited:

kdobson83

easy peasy - what format would you like the files? I use Onshape which is a cloud-based CAD system and the operating kernel is Parasolid same as Solidworks, but I can export in whatever format you need?
Well, I use cura to print with and it uses .stl files. Looks like the cad program I use, tinkercad can import .stl and .obj. So either one of those should be fine. Thanks for the assistance!!!!

bracesport

Legendary member
Well, I use cura to print with and it uses .stl files. Looks like the cad program I use, tinkercad can import .stl and .obj. So either one of those should be fine. Thanks for the assistance!!!!

I will put some files on dropbox and post the link. Seems to me it will suit you better to import the .obj files for the plane as an assembly, then you can ‘tinker’ and export .stl if you want to print anything.

bracesport

Legendary member
Finally got to put the whole assembly together - time to put some servos in this puppy! I realise this has a few RP parts and c/f tail boom but I have to kick myself that the wing is made of foam board, and the tail came up pretty sweet from the Bixler spare part tail!

Hopefully with the servos in I can balance out the c/g with the motor and battery up front! I was considering a pull-pull system for the tail, but I think I will stick with a wire from 'up-front' to 'down-back' inside the tail boom.

IMG_5081.JPG
IMG_5075.JPG
IMG_5077.JPG

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Wow just wow, if you showed that to me without me knowing you built it, I'd think it was store bought!!

Excellent work!!!