Foamboard Focke Wulf 190

JakeTheSloth

Wingspan is 70cm. I have maidened it already. The tail was a bit twitchy but after reducing throws it flies very nice. I've bought gens 850mAh 3s 75c batteries because it was underpowered with old lipos. It still needs hatch, spinner and fairings to complete the look, not to mention paint job. As I said before - this design isn't mine, I just modified existing plans - that's not a problem for me if you refine the plans and release them as yours. You can also mention me as "helper" 😅
And as for the foam I'm using - I think the weight is reduced because it's not covered with paper at all. I only cover the pieces that are outside with packing tape. 3mm for mosquito sounds reasonable but I think P-47 should be made with 5mm all together to keep its sturdiness

Attachments

• IMG_20210118_134532815.jpg
    IMG_20210118_134532815.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

Niez13

Elite member
Wingspan is 70cm. I have maidened it already. The tail was a bit twitchy but after reducing throws it flies very nice. I've bought gens 850mAh 3s 75c batteries because it was underpowered with old lipos. It still needs hatch, spinner and fairings to complete the look, not to mention paint job. As I said before - this design isn't mine, I just modified existing plans - that's not a problem for me if you refine the plans and release them as yours. You can also mention me as "helper" 😅
And as for the foam I'm using - I think the weight is reduced because it's not covered with paper at all. I only cover the pieces that are outside with packing tape. 3mm for mosquito sounds reasonable but I think P-47 should be made with 5mm all together to keep its sturdiness
How does the foam handle paint? If that's how much weight gets taken off I might have to start trying that more with normal foamboard lol! I wonder if the packing tape weighs more or less than the normal paper.

Yeah the mosquito could be a little lighter and that's a good way to do it! The p-47 is super light in general so I don't even know if you'd need it.

JakeTheSloth

I dunno, I never painted RC plane before. The Fw will be the first model I'll paint, I usually try to get simple schemes with coloured packing tape only. Works well sometimes, for example red Fokker is easy to do, but if you want WW II era planes it ain't that easy peasy. I don't even know if the paint will stick good. I'm abandoning the Bf for now, if flies very good but I've got some problems with motors and ESC's I bought recently. One of these cheap motors I mentioned before just burnt mid flight. I crashed, not that bad though, but now the fuse is wrinkled and I'd have to redo it to be in peace with how it looks

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Here's my hatch design. Built everything first, then cut through the top for the hatch cover. I'm using a tab up front and a few small magnets in the back to hold the hatch. As for finishing, I've never had trouble with 2X Rustoleum spray paint sticking to the foam, as long as you use several light coats. I don't even scuff up the foam anymore, as the scratches sometimes show through the finish. Just be patient and let it dry thoroughly....then be slow & careful when peeling up any painters' tape. You've got this!

Attachments

• 20210127_184045.jpg
    20210127_184045.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210127_215754.jpg
    20210127_215754.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210127_184139.jpg
    20210127_184139.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 0

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Here's my attempt.

I also did a quick test flight (before putting the decals on) with no added nose weight using a 4s 2200 battery slid all the way forward. What could go wrong? Watch the video below to see the results.

No real harm done. I wound up adding 6oz of lead (which seems like a lot, doesn't it?) behind the firewall to properly balance it at the CG (41.2 mm) and will hopefully will maiden it "for real" very soon.

Attachments

• 20210206_051632.jpg
    20210206_051632.jpg
    702.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210205_192547.jpg
    20210205_192547.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

leaded50

Legendary member
painting packing tape, goes good by using plastic primer first. If not used, paint "flakes off" easy.