Foamboard SU-47 Pusher/Twin 50mm EDF

Matagami Designs

Master member
Getting started on building a SU-47. Going to see how it goes together and try building as a pusher to see how airworthy it is before I spend money on any edfs for it. Design is inspired from @Namactual 's Dat rhino as well as @Grifflyer 's F-22 with some low polygon styling. Should be interesting/challenging for assembly, we shall see.

Currently cutting on the TimeSav (3 sheets)

Here is the current model as twin EDF:

And my Idea for a thrust vectoring pusher:

1627247067510.png

Matagami Designs

Master member
Progress on the wings. Should have designed the nacelles to fold up the other direction to make assembly easier. The seam is on the bottom and I'm now thinking it would be easier for assembly if they glue last on the top. That way I can glue the lower body to it easier and run electronics rather than do half and half...

Anyway happy with the way it looks but I'm starting to second guess being able to cram two 50mm EDF in there. 😅

20210726_232710.jpg

Flyingshark

Master member
Progress on the wings. Should have designed the nacelles to fold up the other direction to make assembly easier. The seam is on the bottom and I'm now thinking it would be easier for assembly if they glue last on the top. That way I can glue the lower body to it easier and run electronics rather than do half and half...

Anyway happy with the way it looks but I'm starting to second guess being able to cram two 50mm EDF in there. 😅

View attachment 204293
That looks amazing! I hope you'll make plans/stls for both the pusher and EDF versions available. I'd love to build one!

Matagami Designs

Master member
Thrust vectoring setup installed. Now I can close the nacelles up. One thing I am noticing is this setup isn't really serviceable at all. If anything gets messed up you will have to cut into the plane to get to it. That said other than snapping the control arm for the gimbal and having to CA it back on it went together alright and I think it should work as intended.
20210727_225606.jpg

JustPlaneChris

That looks amazing!

If you don't mind me asking, what software are you using for the design work? I have struggled when it comes to designing foldable planes, and have had zero success using Fusion 360. I have no issues with 3D printable stuff, but I can't seem to crack the secret to making flat skins that will unfold. It's frustrating! Especially because I spent WEEKS on an A-7 design, only to end up not being able to create skin templates for it. :(

Anyway, excellent work. Can't wait to see the results!

Chris

Matagami Designs

Master member
That looks amazing!

If you don't mind me asking, what software are you using for the design work? I have struggled when it comes to designing foldable planes, and have had zero success using Fusion 360. I have no issues with 3D printable stuff, but I can't seem to crack the secret to making flat skins that will unfold. It's frustrating! Especially because I spent WEEKS on an A-7 design, only to end up not being able to create skin templates for it. :(

Anyway, excellent work. Can't wait to see the results!

Chris
I use SolidWorks for all my designs so I can't really comment on F360. Looking at the model you made I would think it would be fairly easy for me to unfold it (In SolidWorks) I'm not sure if F360 has a convert to sheet metal feature but this is what I would use in SolidWorks from the model you created. Alternatively you can design flat and fold up in the software but its definitely not as intuitive.

JustPlaneChris

I use SolidWorks for all my designs so I can't really comment on F360. Looking at the model you made I would think it would be fairly easy for me to unfold it (In SolidWorks) I'm not sure if F360 has a convert to sheet metal feature but this is what I would use in SolidWorks from the model you created. Alternatively you can design flat and fold up in the software but its definitely not as intuitive.
Thank you for that! I also have SolidWorks (through my EAA membership) but I have a lot more time invested learning F360. F360 does have sheet metal functionality, but it won't play nice with the lofts I have in that A-7 model.

Perhaps this will finally push me to buckle down and learn SolidWorks. I'm sure it'll be like when I had to switch programming languages at my job. The theories and logic is the same, just the syntax is different. :)

Matagami Designs

Master member
Thank you for that! I also have SolidWorks (through my EAA membership) but I have a lot more time invested learning F360. F360 does have sheet metal functionality, but it won't play nice with the lofts I have in that A-7 model.

Perhaps this will finally push me to buckle down and learn SolidWorks. I'm sure it'll be like when I had to switch programming languages at my job. The theories and logic is the same, just the syntax is different. :)

I can struggle through using F360 just the same but solidworks is better as I use it everyday and I know most of the shortcuts. Anyways there are plenty of sheetmetal tutorials on YouTube that can help if you are trying to learn.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Glued the bottom of the fuselage on and then got the canard axle servo and linkage set up. Next challenge will be the elevators I was going to link these mechanically to the canard but i think it might be easier to use 2 more servos. Would be a bit more weight but I think it would be more reliable than one servo for all these surfaces.
20210729_232229.jpg
20210729_232252.jpg

Last edited:

Flitedesign 3d

Elite member
Glued the bottom of the fuselage on and then got the canard axle servo and linkage set up. Next challenge will be the elevators I was going to link these mechanically to the canard but i think it might be easier to use 2 more servos. Would be a bit more weight but I think it would be more reliable. Then one servo for all these surfaces. View attachment 204466 View attachment 204467
Very nice, Im definitely interested to see how it flies

@JustPlaneChris You can also export either parts (components) of your fusion model as .step or the whole model at once, import it into sw and use the surface flatten tool to flatten the surfaces (insert -> surface -> flatten) In the tool you can select a chain of surfaces to be flattened and an edge/vertex through which the flat pattern goes. If you want to go fancy you can also see the deformation plot by right clicking the flat pattern -> deformation plot

Matagami Designs

Master member
Very nice, Im definitely interested to see how it flies

@JustPlaneChris You can also export either parts (components) of your fusion model as .step or the whole model at once, import it into sw and use the surface flatten tool to flatten the surfaces (insert -> surface -> flatten) In the tool you can select a chain of surfaces to be flattened and an edge/vertex through which the flat pattern goes. If you want to go fancy you can also see the deformation plot by right clicking the flat pattern -> deformation plot

Flatten surfaces is only available in SW premium. This is a tool I wish I could use but instead limit my design to what convert to sheetmetal and lofted bends is capable of.

JustPlaneChris

Flatten surfaces is only available in SW premium. This is a tool I wish I could use but instead limit my design to what convert to sheetmetal and lofted bends is capable of.
I'll have to check and see if I have it. The version I have through the EAA is the student / education, but honestly I haven't spent enough time with it to know which features it has.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Just about finished and ready for the maiden. Somewhat optimistic as the weight is 430 g dry and 660 g with the battery. Just need to be careful with the rates and pick the right CG and have a decent throw Into the wind. 🤞 I dont think it will be very fast as I plan to only run 3S 1300 mah on an 5 x 4 x 3 prop and 2205 motor. (F pack) 20 amp esc and 6 channel receiver so it should have decent flight times. Planning for a Wednesday afternoon maiden.
20210731_233115.jpg