Fortis TITAN Build

ikem

Just making an offical thread for my TITAN.

View my Flitetest Article Here

Tons of praise and a high recommendation comes from me for Fortis Air Frames. The frame fits my character and is very rugged. Flew into a tree and tumbled down 50 ft, and only broke 3 zip ties.

Frame and Electronics include:

Fortis TITAN with Camera tray and Carbon Hybrid Booms
3D Robotics APM 2.6 with external GPS/Compass
3D Robotics 900mhz Telemetry
Turnigy SK3 920kv 2826 motors
Turnigy Multistar 20A ESC
HiTec HS-82MG
EBay 11x5 Carbon Fiber Props
EBay XT60 -> 4 pairs of 3.5mm bullet
Hobbyking 3s-8s Low Voltage Alarm
Turnigy 3s 2200mah * 4
Turnigy 3s 3600mah * 1

FPV Gear:

Gimped GoPro Hero 3+ Silver
FatShark 250mw vTX
FatShark Power Filter
FatShark Spironet CPL Antennas
FatShark Predator V2
Readymaderc GoPro 3 cable (FatShark compatible)

Radio:

Spectrum DX6i
Spectrum AR6100

DSC_2417.JPG DSC_2418.JPG DSC_2416.JPG DSC_2413.JPG DSC_2409.JPG DSC_2407.JPG

Last edited:
Really interested in the Titan. Now that you have built and flown it, do you think it was worth the price, or would you rather have scratch built David's tri?
-Fin

ikem

Really interested in the Titan. Now that you have built and flown it, do you think it was worth the price, or would you rather have scratch built David's tri?
-Fin

i did build davids tri. I built the frames myself and used rotorbones motor mounts. Lets just say, I want to get a TITAN frame to replace David's plates. BUT i didnt do a full on build like the TITAN so you cannot compare them. But the frame is well worth the money.

baddox

I dig the idea of putting the video transmitter on the back of the camera/battery tray. I mount mine on a spare TITAN landing gear which I put upright on the tail boom. I've also got Zach's FPV mount, but it's too large and tall for my needs.

UaEoqYE.jpg

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Jus make sure the antenna has good clearance away from the CF parts. That stuff causes bad voodoo for reception ;-)

baddox

Yeah, I know it can be problematic, but I've never encountered even the slightest video glitch. I'm still pretty reserved with my FPV flying. I stay close and with few obstacles between me and the tricopter. And I've got the 600 mW transmitter, which is total overkill.

ikem

like i said waiting on hobbyking! had to get the motors from international warehouse...

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
If it's any consolation, I am waiting for shipping as well. I know it doesn't really help, but at least you know you are not alone!

baddox

That's absolutely goooorgeous. I never thought I cared to have a gimbal on my TITAN, but now I want one. Are you making this product for FortisAirframes to sell, or will you sell them yourself? I'll buy one.

ikem

That's absolutely goooorgeous. I never thought I cared to have a gimbal on my TITAN, but now I want one. Are you making this product for FortisAirframes to sell, or will you sell them yourself? I'll buy one.

I am helping Zach with it :D

just flew with it today. VERY different FPV experience... now i have to learn all over again lol. Video soon

baddox

I'm curious if the Delrin is rigid enough. I'm not sure if rigidity is crucial to gimbal operation, but I'm sure it helps. Are you going to fly through the GoPro and not a separate FPV cam? I imagine that would be very difficult unless you're using a GPS-aided flight mode.

ikem

I'm curious if the Delrin is rigid enough. I'm not sure if rigidity is crucial to gimbal operation, but I'm sure it helps. Are you going to fly through the GoPro and not a separate FPV cam? I imagine that would be very difficult unless you're using a GPS-aided flight mode.

well the video is uploading, but it wasnt bad. I flew in stablize, alt hold (where i usually fly) and loiter. All felt ok, just have to get used to the horizon not changing. The gimbal still needs a fine tuning but I am happy with it.

The delrin on the gimbal doesnt flex at all. it isnt thin, and it has tons of support everywhere.

Though I am down to 4:30 on a 2200 battery.... i dont know what I am going to do about that... I would like to stay on 3s, but i dont know what motor prop combo to run.

arsenalj

Very nice Tri ikem, I have been looking for a good Tri to build. This thing has caught my eye by far. I just ordered some motors and the tail servo for it. Next week I should have the frame on the way. Now I am just trying to figure what FC I would like to incorporate with this build. I have done the KK2.1, the DJI Naza Lite w/ GPS, and the Multiwii Pro ez 3.0 w/ all the fixings. I am thinking APM 2.6 for this build. I see you are using the APM. How does it perform on this platform? Would you have any othre recommendations before I dive head long into this build, LOL. Love the article as well keep it coming I am loving this thread. Till next time....

ikem

Very nice Tri ikem, I have been looking for a good Tri to build. This thing has caught my eye by far. I just ordered some motors and the tail servo for it. Next week I should have the frame on the way. Now I am just trying to figure what FC I would like to incorporate with this build. I have done the KK2.1, the DJI Naza Lite w/ GPS, and the Multiwii Pro ez 3.0 w/ all the fixings. I am thinking APM 2.6 for this build. I see you are using the APM. How does it perform on this platform? Would you have any othre recommendations before I dive head long into this build, LOL. Love the article as well keep it coming I am loving this thread. Till next time....

it performs beautifully. I still need to tame down my yaw, but it flies perfectly. Loiter, alt hold, stabilize, RTL logging all work perfectly.

ikem

i am looking to improve my flight times. I want to stay with 3s, but i dont know if that will be possible. Currently running 2830 920kv with 11x5 props. These motors are only rated for 16A, and get kinda hot after some use. I have been thinking of a larger Sunnysky x3108s 900kv motor to help with that, and some Turnigy Plushes to replace my multistars.

What do you suggest. with my current load (i still need to weigh it with the gimbal now) i get 4:30 flight with 1700mah burned out of a 2200mah. I still need to test my 3600mah.

It still has tons of vertical climb, but i think it needs a motor swap with the added weight now.