Frankenplane -- Rise of the undead airplane -- Halloween Build Contest!!!!

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I could reuse the wings from the first Frankenplane. I have a perfectly good fuselage with a pushed in nose that I could simply cut the nose off of and reinstall the motor.

So I might build a third one with completely different parts.

I just don't know if I should try reusing a power pod with a broken firewall. The firewall got pushed in and cracked. It's fine when I pull on it because of the tape.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Last power-pod I repaired (because it was *slightly* easier than cutting a new one) I trimmed off the firewall, lined the leading edge with toung-depressors cut to size, then glued/taped the firewall back on. It's taken a few nice its since then and is holding up well -- got an odd natural thrust angle though . . .

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
RCSF,

got you added to the list, so now your entry is 'fficial.

BTW congrats on the first "complete" entry in the compition -- you at least get the "earlybird" prize. Now go rebulild and reanimate --your next prize could be a nifty flying plane!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Comming in under a week and a half, and RCSpaceflight has almost finished twice! (man I need to get craking on mine!)

How's everyone else comming along?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Coming down to the wire with only two complete entries so far . . .

YIKES! I'm not one of 'em! Gotta get back to work! How's everyone else coming along?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I just haven't crashed anything bad enough to not fix it. I guess we need more contests like this so I don't crash anymore!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
If only we had a "uncrashable plane" contest . . . the carnage would be epic!

rcspaceflight

How come the most expensive planes find the hardest things to hit?

I FINALLY took out a war bird that I bought when I first got into the hobby. I made the mistake of thinking that ONE trainer plane would get me far enough that I could handle the war bird. I was smart enough to wait. A couple days ago I thought I was at the point where I could handle it, but it flew controlled for a few seconds, then I lost control and nose dived straight into a (parked) corn picker. Dislodged the motor, crushed the nose a little, snapped the plane in half, and stripped out a servo. It is fixable, but still. There went about $70 in less than a minute. I'm going to continue to only scratch build for a while but I am really tempted to buy a really nice plane, or buy a laser cut balsa kit. ... But I think I have to wait on that.

Okay, enough sharing crash stories. Back to the purpose of this thread.

Dan, by "only two complete entries" do you mean my two? I haven't really been paying attention but it doesn't look like any one else has finished. Which would mean that I'm going to win by default. ... Which is the only way I ever win anything. :( (just joking)

Last edited:

Johan

How come the most expensive planes find the hardest things to hit?

Ha!, maybe Newton missed something in his theory about gravity and masses attracting each other:
apart from mass, there might also be a "purchase price" component involved (neglectable in his time of living, but now with inflation and such ...)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Dan, by "only two complete entries" do you mean my two? I haven't really been paying attention but it doesn't look like any one else has finished. Which would mean that I'm going to win by default. ... Which is the only way I ever win anything. :( (just joking)

Come on, RCSF, have a look at the other entries . . . there's only 4.

Eagle finished his sparrow. yeah it got ridiculed out of the air by the camera operator, but it still finished.

now back to work with me . . .

rcspaceflight

The sad thing is that after re-looking at his thread, I realize that I already seen it.

I have the memory of... I forget what those things are called.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Man! I forgot all about the FFF morback I crashed a bunch. It was one of my first all foam builds and my first 3D flying planes. It was great for 3D even if I wasn't! I'm going to mate it to a tri and see what we get.

_DSC0481_01.JPG

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Not gonna make it...I just got kicked out of the living room so I'm not going to be able to get in on this one. If only I had found that fuse yesterday!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Excuses, excuses.

Just for that, your penance is to officiate the next competition.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Alright. What do I gotta do for that?

Not to get off the subject, but has anyone heard from Fred lately? I haven't seen anything from the illustrious FM in a while...