FT Cub V2 tweaks and mods!

I recently found myself with some spare time due to the COVID-19 situation, and figured I'd make the best of my extra day off. This is my second cub build and although my first cub was a good transition from 3ch to 4ch, I found it lacking in some respects (stability, didn't handle wind well, didn't track very well) . With V2 I decided to opt out of the dihedral and go right to a 4ch set up as well as re-position the elevator/rudder servos similar to that on the bushwhacker. I also added split flaps but have to try them out. The end result was amazing. Not only did removing the dihedral in the wing make the build a little faster, but the flight performance was substantialy improved. The new cub was able to handle wind far better and felt less "wobbly" in the air than its counterpart. The servo relocation simply saved on the amount of pushrod req. for construction. If anyone has any other little changes they've made to this great airframe I would love to see them!
MVIMG_20200620_184803.jpg
IMG_20200620_185304.jpg
IMG_20200626_205847.jpg
IMG_20200626_205732.jpg
IMG_20200626_205758.jpg

Jackson T

Elite member
Welcome to the forums! That's a good idea removing the dihedral if building as a 4 channel. I haven't built a FT Cub yet, I'll keep that in mind if I do.

Spitfire76

I recently found myself with some spare time due to the COVID-19 situation, and figured I'd make the best of my extra day off. This is my second cub build and although my first cub was a good transition from 3ch to 4ch, I found it lacking in some respects (stability, didn't handle wind well, didn't track very well) . With V2 I decided to opt out of the dihedral and go right to a 4ch set up as well as re-position the elevator/rudder servos similar to that on the bushwhacker. I also added split flaps but have to try them out. The end result was amazing. Not only did removing the dihedral in the wing make the build a little faster, but the flight performance was substantialy improved. The new cub was able to handle wind far better and felt less "wobbly" in the air than its counterpart. The servo relocation simply saved on the amount of pushrod req. for construction. If anyone has any other little changes they've made to this great airframe I would love to see them.

I'm in the middle of my first Cub build and didn't like the long linkages to the servos either as they bend too much when pushed. Also the servos are only glued to the side of the fuselage paper which can't be that secure. I thought about placing them like yours at the rear and on the outside. This is the way they are mounted on the FT Storch and FT Spitfire that I built. I know this will add some tail weight but I am using a GT2215/09 (old C pack) motor and a 2200 mAh battery so hopefully that makes it balance well. I've already made the wing with a dihedral so maybe I'll try flat wing on my next build. I am adding a steerable tail wheel and the Aura 5 lite.

Last edited: