FT Gremlin - SP0NZ Build Log

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well I stripped my Gremlin down to bare build on the Delrin Josh B frame. I was helping another person sort his out so I did a really aggressive re tuning to see what kind of performance we could get out of his build that was giving him problems.

The Femto is flashed to 3.1.7, the esc's are flashed with 16.5 firmwares to start. This allows me to use multi shot which for the Femto is the fastest that can be used and still not hog up processor time causing issues. I have not tried the newest firmware nor newest Betaflight on the Gremlin yet. I am under the thinking if it ain't broke don't fiddle with it unless there is some absolute "To die for feature". On a new build I would go to the latest and greatest though so that's gonna be a choice you would need to make. Most of the stuff I do will transfer over no problem if you did upgrade.

I have done a lot of testing to find good settings that make the Gremlin a good indoor flyer and a great out door one. The rates I came up with for that I now fly on all my quads and you can literally tilt the Gremlin less then a mm at a time when using a Taranis with the M9 gimbals. They are very docile and smooth at center but will still snap 1000 degree per second on full deflection. Anyway enough yakking about it here is what I came up with a few days ago.

Tight tune.jpg

Pids may be different for a perfect tune on your build as they are all different but this should put you in the ball park of happiness to start. I set the loop times to 8k and 8k which is where Multi shot differs from one shots as they run best at 4k 4k or possibly 4k 8k but that puts the processor close to 50% at idle. You want ~35 % so you know you have some headroom for when you are ripping the wild blue.

The rates are set up with a very high yaw rate which is nice for racing and turning the little ones on a hair. The way the rates are set though it is still super smooth and extremely controllable with small inputs for slow indoor flying. Which brings us to the work I did for the Horizon mode self leveling. I worked that out so the transitions for auto level are not so brutish and fight you so much. Smooth starts are easy without having to force the quad to move then have to back off to keep speed down indoors. It also transitions back just as nice without that snap back wobbly where is the horizon defaults. I limited it to 10 degrees for indoor which is the lowest it can go but I really wanted like 5 or 6 degrees tops for a 3s indoor setting. You can still fly 3s inside you just have to be aware of speed which is where the rate profile I made really shines. Just be sure of your skills AND the room needed. I do not advise doing what I do and flying it in a one bedroom shoe box apartment.

When using them micro cameras with the fish eye lens I suggest ZERO camera tilt to aid in keeping yourself under control as well.

Other then that make sure the Flight controller is as close to square with the arms and motors as possible and more so that it is as parallel to the base plate as you can make it within the abilities of double sided sticky tape. I advise using the 3m red backing tape more then the provided foam tape. Make sure when you mount the camera it is on foam between the bottom and the frame as well as the back against the frame. That will cause nightmares on the gyros and accelerometers with the tiny Gremlin. I use the foam from Emax motor cases and cut to fit the camera snugly then a piece of the double sided tape across the back side where it touches the frame. If your cameras have CP antennas build a cage for them using zip ties other wise your video will be crap the first time it lands upside down. Possibly snap that pcb riser clean off like I did to mine.

I would advise a run cam micro swift so you can adjust the video to perfection instead of them crappy cmos cameras and then use a light weight vtx. The Gremlin is a strong beast so don't fuss over weight. I have had mine as heavy as 187 g and it still did well. Just ran a tad warmer then it does under 150 g.

Oh and that brings me to the last piece of the puzzle with setting throttle center to 63%. For a pilot used to flying quads the larger more powerful ones have a certain feel to them you develop to control the quad after a flip or power loop or dive. This allows for that muscle memory to be retained while having the power to "Catch" the quad more accurately in its power curve.

This probably reads like a boring book but that is all I can think of to help you get the best from the Gremlin. Just take it one piece at a time as you learn and understand more of what I said. If you need more aid I will be happy to pass my Skype account info to you so we could talk live if need be.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Got the motors soldered tonight. Think I might get it finished up tomorrow night.

21868291_1681498325218450_187476492_o.jpg

Frolic

"You are dead, Frolic"
Sponz,
Here is some feedback on the PIDs that Psyborg is talking about. This is 3 months worth of learning to fly quads. I can fly planes, well sort of. Haha. But the first video shows me working the stock PIDs. Then I have 4 hours of actual flight time. Then I worked on a second gremlin and the second video shows that.

The combinations of softening of the centers of the sticks and the 0 degree angle change, which you can see in the second video, really helped me get confidence in the flying of the Gremlin.

Also that beeper you have in the foreground is ESSENTIAL! I have been 2 feet from my Gremlin and could only find it by the beeper.

Thanks so much for your plans man, and also for your directions on printing tiles. Your helped work wonderfully for me.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Thanks for the info Frolic.

Anyone know where I can find some good info for installing that LED/Beeper?

Frolic

"You are dead, Frolic"
The back of the flight controller has the pads. It is on the board layout if I remember. I will do a quick check. Do you know which is positive on the beeper?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
MY F3 FC has BeatFlight 3.0.1 on it and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to update. I tried TJ's instructions in the build video, but no joy. Doesn't seem to want to go into boot mode with all the ESC's and motors soldered to it. Did I mess up by not flashing it first?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nah Sponz its OK. You can flash at anytime with or without motors and such. I will bet you had the same issue I had trying to shunt those boot loader pads one handed and plug it in to get it into boot loader mode. What I had to do since I had no spare hands around was to put solder blobs on the boot loader pads. Then I double sided taped the FC to the table so it wouldn't slide around. After that I put a jewelers screw driver between the solder blobs and twisted to get good contact. As long as the drivers are properly loaded then it should get into boot loader mode.

I will pm you my number if you want you can call and I can call you back if ya want. I am up for most of the night I am guessing as I have one of my headaches working and sleep won't come at all.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Oh my gosh. I have the vtx/camera and the led/buzzer installed. Everything is working so far. I have bound the transmitter to the receiver and have everything mapped to the right input channels already. I think I just need to get switches setup in OpenTX and map the flight modes. Well that, and mount everything on the frame. I did make sure all the motor spun up, but I will need to check the direction after I get everything mounted on the frame.

It might get to hover tonight! Progress.

PsyBorg, saw the PM. Thanks a ton for the offer. I'f I run into any snags after I get it all on the frame I may just take you up on that. Thanks in advance. :applause:

three west

I had a helluva time trying to get my FC into bootloader mode, I never did get it with the boot pads. Fire up Betaflight, go to CLI and type DFU (on that older version of BF), way easier way to get it into bootloader mode than the boot pads, at least for me.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
We can neither confirm nor deny the fact you may or may not have built your first quad copter. Internet rules state there MUST be video or it NEVER happened.

Looks good Dan not bad for a first timer. Were you able to do all the flashing and get it to lite up for you?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Alas, I cannot be that lucky. And I fear my loosing streak when it comes to quads is continuing to plague me. Everythig was working beautifully before I mounted it to the frame. I created a model on Keegan's radio, and got everything set correctly for SBUS in Betaflight. Plugged in my goggles and had a good video feed. The beeper was even making noise. After I finished stuffing all the electronics into that tiny frame, everything went south.

I needed to change the motor direction for motors 1 and 4. So I downloaded BLHeli Suite and followed TJ's directions. Took a while to figure out how to configure BLHeli to connect, but I got it. I was able to reverse the two motors. Back to BetaFlight to confirm everything is working. For some reason, the configuration was reset to Spektrum instead of SBUS. Odd, but I changed it back to SBUS and did a save and reboot. Went to the controller tab and nothing. Went back to config tab, and it's still on Spektrum. No matter what I do, it won't stay set to SBUS. Checked to make sure UART3 was set to serial, it was. I'm stuck. Also, no longer getting a good video signal. There is something there, but it's mostly black.

So, what happened? I seem to have no luck at all with quads. :(

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
Alas, I cannot be that lucky. And I fear my loosing streak when it comes to quads is continuing to plague me. Everythig was working beautifully before I mounted it to the frame. I created a model on Keegan's radio, and got everything set correctly for SBUS in Betaflight. Plugged in my goggles and had a good video feed. The beeper was even making noise. After I finished stuffing all the electronics into that tiny frame, everything went south.

I needed to change the motor direction for motors 1 and 4. So I downloaded BLHeli Suite and followed TJ's directions. Took a while to figure out how to configure BLHeli to connect, but I got it. I was able to reverse the two motors. Back to BetaFlight to confirm everything is working. For some reason, the configuration was reset to Spektrum instead of SBUS. Odd, but I changed it back to SBUS and did a save and reboot. Went to the controller tab and nothing. Went back to config tab, and it's still on Spektrum. No matter what I do, it won't stay set to SBUS. Checked to make sure UART3 was set to serial, it was. I'm stuck. Also, no longer getting a good video signal. There is something there, but it's mostly black.

So, what happened? I seem to have no luck at all with quads. :(

No joke, I had the exact same issue. two things I did that fixed it, and they may not be related at all. First I re-flashed it, well I tried to reflash it. For some reason I couldn't get the com ports to work right for flashing on my PC laptop. After an hour of this I said forget it. Went to the home computer which is a mac, reflashed without an issue, set it to sbus and saved and it stuck that time. I have since hooked it back up to my laptop for BLheli (also took me a while, really wish TJ would have spent a few more minutes on how to install and set up BLheli suite in the gremlin video) and changed 1 and 4 motor rotation.

So yeah, I haven't read through your whole thread so not sure if you reflashed or not but going to a different computer fixed that issue for me.

Not sure it will help or not.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
No joke, I had the exact same issue. two things I did that fixed it, and they may not be related at all. First I re-flashed it, well I tried to reflash it. For some reason I couldn't get the com ports to work right for flashing on my PC laptop. After an hour of this I said forget it. Went to the home computer which is a mac, reflashed without an issue, set it to sbus and saved and it stuck that time. I have since hooked it back up to my laptop for BLheli (also took me a while, really wish TJ would have spent a few more minutes on how to install and set up BLheli suite in the gremlin video) and changed 1 and 4 motor rotation.

So yeah, I haven't read through your whole thread so not sure if you reflashed or not but going to a different computer fixed that issue for me.

Not sure it will help or not.

Should have mentioned that I tried it on two different computers with two different USB cables. I have no idea how I can flash it right now. I wasn't able to get it to go into boot mode at all.

Sponz,
I hope I'm wrong but your symptoms sound similar to what I experienced after accidently plugging the battery JST in backwards to the pig tail (and yes I know it is keyed and am not that stupid grrr.. accidents happen!). Anyway, I wasn't getting response from my ibus receiver either and my video, like yours, was evident it was on but mostly black. I was, however, able to connect USB and get Betaflight to talk to the Femto. I assumed the worst and bought a new camera, Rx and Femto board. While doing the heart transplant I tested all components and realized ONLY the Femto was shot and the rest are currently working on my flying Gremlin.

I assume the 5 second short and subsequent overheating of electronics must have fried my Femto's voltage regulator. No blue smoke in my case but instant finger burning heat. Is it possible you shorted something out while cramming it all into the frame? Try de-soldering the camera or use another camera pig-tail to connect it to a known good regulated voltage and see if you again get good video transmission. If so, I'd guess you have a Femto problem and the bad news is you will need a new FC... The good news is you are now an expert at microscopic soldering so should be easier the second time right?.......

Last edited:

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
Dan,

I didn't have to get in to boot mode (at least I don't think so) I just connected the FC to the computer but did not connect once in betaflight. I went to the firmware flasher tab, selected the board (SPRACINGF3EVO) then the latest firmware, selected "full chip erase" and none of the other options. Load firmware online, once loaded I clicked flash firmware and it erased the board and reflashed it. Once again, never got this to work on my PC, worked first time on my mac.

I know in the past when I tried out the quad thing I would have to load the ST bootloader program and put the board in to boot mode, etc, etc. It was a real pain. Hope you don't have to go through that.

I am by all mean a newb with the quad thing so I know someone far smarter than myself will speak up and hopefully help you out soon. I will say, hooking up servos to a standard receiver and chucking a piece of foam in the air is far easier and relaxing haha.

Justin

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
... I will say, hooking up servos to a standard receiver and chucking a piece of foam in the air is far easier and relaxing haha...

I couldn't agree more. But, I need to try and figure this out. Especially since this is Keegan's Gremlin. I was hoping to take it to him when we visit him at UND this weekend.

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
one thing I did notice when trying to reflash on my PC was that when I connected to the board, it was on COM8, when I tried to flash the board from the flash loader, it wanted to use COM3 for some reason. Maybe yours is searching for the wrong com port? There may be a way to override and force it to use a certain port?

Do you remember what errors you were getting when you tried to flash the board?