FT Gremlin - SP0NZ Build Log

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The whole problem I have found with windows (specially if you are smart enough to NEVER let it do things on its own like update drivers) is if the drivers are not computer hardware drivers Windows does not play well. External hardware like flight controllers and the little programming things like arduino boards and all that Windows seems to think its own crappy generic drivers are better suited then the manufacturers drivers because a lot are not signed since Microsoft charges to do that.

When I install a new fc driver I will always do a cold start on my computer as that makes windows forget what IT thinks it should use and actually loads the new drivers properly when it is supposed to. Between Zadig and the Impulse driver fixer I am not sure why the guys working on the guis do not just embed one or the other into the gui and save all of us this freakin nightmare. You should plug the board in.. windows generic drivers will see it to talk thru the gui in most cases. Then have the gui auto execute zadig or impulse tool when DFU is typed in the CLI. Both are free to use and I am sure their devs would allow it to be part of the Guis as we normally use it anyways.

Don't believe the hype. Windows is not going to a pay as you go service. It is being constantly serviced for free once you initially purchase with new PC or got the FREE upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7 and above. If Linux was so great you guys would be on it already and not waiting for Win 7 end of Life. As for me I've NEVER had a single issue with a FC driver on Win 10 until this Femto board. Soap Box over..

Sponz, I don't think you ever read post #57. http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?33653-FT-Gremlin-SP0NZ-Build-Log&p=367498&viewfull=1#post367498 You need to test your camera because if it works outside of the Gremlin I'd suggest that you might have shorted something and toasted your voltage regulator. My femto also worked via USB but both camera and Rx were unresponsive while both were wired to toasted femto and running off battery power.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sponz, I don't think you ever read post #57. http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...P0NZ-Build-Log&p=367498&viewfull=1#post367498 You need to test your camera because if it works outside of the Gremlin I'd suggest that you might have shorted something and toasted your voltage regulator. My femto also worked via USB but both camera and Rx were unresponsive while both were wired to toasted femto and running off battery power.
hack, I did read the post, just haven't gotten that far yet. I think the femto is working fine now that Bill helped me get the driver issue sorted and it's flashed with the latest firmware. The Rx is working fine, but the camera is not. What is the easiest way to hook up the vtx/camera to something else to test it?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Has there been an official maiden yet?

Work has been seriously kicking my behind lately. No progress to report. I did get a new piece of FPV gear though...

22015615_1687516601283289_1839252962_o.jpg

Frolic

"You are dead, Frolic"
I don't know who said it first but if you can figure out how to solder on a plug to your camera, then hook it up to a correct voltage source, the camera should come on by myself. I like to put a 1s battery into the camera or if the voltage works I sometimes put it on only one cell off of the balance port on a battery. make sure to keep the polarity correct. Then the camera should work fine. If not. then something has gone south.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I think there is something amiss with the camera. I just hooked it up to a 1S and went through all the bands on my goggles. some gave a little bit better reception than others, but none were good. I have another NIB Hyperion camera and I test that too. That one works perfectly.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@Frolic.... yes cameras can work off one cell or two cells.. BUT.... NEVER hook up anything on a lipo that does not pull from all cells at once. You can un balance a battery and that is where lipos go south. Its ok for testing but never to run full time pulling a lipo cell out of balance like that.

@Sponz... the Hyperion AIO's are total garbage from piss poor assembly quality right down to the bad design for the mother boards on them. The one I got with my Gremlin originally was so far out of focus you could not see to fly. THEN to top it off they epoxied the lens in place which took over 2 and a half hours with a razor blade to free up with minimal damage so it could be focused.. Most of them AIO's follow the same style and all have the same flaws. If you are using it like a tiny whoop for babying the Gremlin thru the house they may be ok. For anything else its far better to get a run cam micro and a separate vtx that uses a dipole antenna. CP antennas on a Gremlin is just asking for more issues and headaches. The Gremlin can easily deal with the weight with minimal effect and IMO makes it more controllable anyways.

You are probably going to want some LOS time on the Gremlin before trying FPV anyways as you have to get used to catching the weight and controlling altitude with them more then like on a tiny whoop. When you do mount the fpv camera mount it with zero degree tilt. The fish eye effect on the 2.1 and 2.3 lens are enough you can get some speed going early but will make it far easier to be slow and stable for indoors. Foam padding like the foam full size motors come in is great to carve a form fit mount out of and then a little double sided tape on the back of the camera to isolate the frame. Save the hassle of ANY added vibrations getting to the FC.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
PsyBorg, we're going to have to run with what we have for now. My hobby budget is pretty small. Maybe not as small as yours, but still...can't swing paying for new camera when we already bought these Hyperions. I'll put mine on keegan's for now and see about getting the other one exchanged.

I did notice that FT isn't selling the Hyperions on the store anymore either. So you might be right about the quality issues.

I did pick up an FX805 dipole that I was going to put on my Inductrix to complete the transition over to a full blown tiny whoop. I suppose I could put that on my Gremlin instead. Any experience with that camera?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh by no means when I suggest things is it that people run out and do what I do. I just try to let people know by what I have already done what works well and what not so well. I have been going thru video night mares between getting a working system for the Gremlin that does not weigh a ton but is reliable and can go more then 25 feet away before losing picture to the weirdness I have been getting on Taz with a brand new Runcam that had issues out of the box.

If I can steer people away for the same bad issues and save them time and money in the process as well as the frustration I don't mind making suggestions. They are after all only my opinions and people do have to make decisions for themselves by their budgets or needs and wants.

After what I have gone thru my new rules for video are to not by cmos cameras as they only come factory preset. I use CCD cameras exclusively now so I can do the settings that work best for my eyes with the headaches and issues I have with all that mess. As far as these new mini cmos aio's I don't think any of them are worthy for fpv. I think they all pretty much jumped on the get em out the door bandwagon and did not put much effort into their design. FPV use is a totally different set up for best results of flying in and out of shadows then for static cameras and all these cmos cameras being sold for FPV STILL use the crappy static surveillance settings.
Most of the CCD cameras are the same but at least they are user adjustable. Some companies like Runcam have actually began trying to ship with a generic FPV setting but still could be much better.

Just keep in mind what I suggest and as you grow and need repairs or upgrades the ideas and experience is there to draw on. After all that is what we are all about here at FT and helping each other.

I would still no matter what video system you use do a few packs on it without so if there are set up issues you can isolate them without outside factors. Then add the video after you know it flys right.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Oh by no means when I suggest things is it that people run out and do what I do. I just try to let people know by what I have already done what works well and what not so well. I have been going thru video night mares between getting a working system for the Gremlin that does not weigh a ton but is reliable and can go more then 25 feet away before losing picture to the weirdness I have been getting on Taz with a brand new Runcam that had issues out of the box.

If I can steer people away for the same bad issues and save them time and money in the process as well as the frustration I don't mind making suggestions. They are after all only my opinions and people do have to make decisions for themselves by their budgets or needs and wants.

After what I have gone thru my new rules for video are to not by cmos cameras as they only come factory preset. I use CCD cameras exclusively now so I can do the settings that work best for my eyes with the headaches and issues I have with all that mess. As far as these new mini cmos aio's I don't think any of them are worthy for fpv. I think they all pretty much jumped on the get em out the door bandwagon and did not put much effort into their design. FPV use is a totally different set up for best results of flying in and out of shadows then for static cameras and all these cmos cameras being sold for FPV STILL use the crappy static surveillance settings.
Most of the CCD cameras are the same but at least they are user adjustable. Some companies like Runcam have actually began trying to ship with a generic FPV setting but still could be much better.

Just keep in mind what I suggest and as you grow and need repairs or upgrades the ideas and experience is there to draw on. After all that is what we are all about here at FT and helping each other.

I would still no matter what video system you use do a few packs on it without so if there are set up issues you can isolate them without outside factors. Then add the video after you know it flys right.

Very well said PsyBorg. I dipped my toes into the quad/FPV ocean with the Inductrix FPV. With the Gremlin build I'm cautiously wading out a little into the waves. It's going to be a while before I'm sailing across this ocean! There is so much to learn here and sometimes it feels a little overwhelming. I'm taking my time, and learning a little here and there as I go. I do not have the time for a deep dive into all of this right now. That said, I really really appreciate all of the feedback, insights, and assistance you, and others here, have been providing me on this journey. This truly is a great community we have here.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I would not rule out all CMOS cameras. Some of my best FPV video comes from them. I'm often surprised when I go back and fly one of my older builds that has a CMOS camera and find that the video quality is much better than my CCD builds. Sometimes cheap simplicity and lack of adjustment really is a good thing. I do have a gopro style lens on them though...

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh I am not saying they don't have their place.. Just the quality is questionable and the circumstances for them to preform well have specific parameters to be met for them to do so.

I have found that in open areas where the light is stable and not changing they can be good providing the antennas are in perfect shape. Its when there is the slightest change from new on the antennas that performance exponentially degrades as well as any light changes happen that the reaction can be detrimental.

For me its just easier to start with something I can get reliable performance from and not have to bother with modifying my flying to suit the gears limitations.

GluedFingers

I wasn't able to get my receiver talking to BetaFlite, I ran the ImpulseRC Driver Fixer, and then reflashed. This time I kept the jumper on it until the flasher said flash successful. I'm used to equipment that you only jump something initially to connect and then you can release.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Been on hiatus from this build for a little while. Time for the final push to get this thing in Keegan's hands by this weekend so he can start flying it while he's at college.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Good luck Dan hopefully it flys nicely for you and the adding of a video system does not bring further bugs so you can get that all done. I just finally got video back on mine and ripped it around the yard. Its been raining since but tomorrow is supposed to have a nice break in the afternoon so maybe more footage with the new gates and flags I got for it.

Don't hesitate to call if you need further assistance mate.