FT Mini Scout Build (Mighty Minis)

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Are the ailerons very effictive with that much dihedral in the wings? I would be interested in doing a flat wing mod to make them more effective, unless it won't really help.

With how close I placed them to the body, they are very effective in just flying the plane bank n yank. You wont be doing any rolls but they help me tilt through tight spaces with fpv.

Freakazoid

I think about building the Scout with some 6mm Depron I recently bought. Since this is my first build, I don't really know what things I have to change when building with Depron. Is it a good idea to use packaging tape to make the movable parts movable :)? Or should I just wait until Flitetest releases their Flitetest-Foam :p? I don't really know what electronics to get, since I am limited to Hobbyking (I'm from Germany). Could you guys please recommend some parts? I would appreciate that.

Thank you

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
I think about building the Scout with some 6mm Depron I recently bought. Since this is my first build, I don't really know what things I have to change when building with Depron.
I don't really know what electronics to get, since I am limited to Hobbyking (I'm from Germany). Could you guys please recommend some parts?
Thank you

Hi,
I used a mix of 3mm and 6mm depron for my mini scout/duster. Wing is easy to build with 6mm. I used 3mm for fuselage, but sure you can use 6mm too. You 'adapt dimensions' as you build , not so many to do.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Maiden the Mini Scout inside an airplane hanger during a club flying event. Went well but it was not enough room for my comfort. There were too many people and walls to worry about hitting.
image.jpg

I did the outside maiden today and it went Awesome! It was atleast 10 moh winds and it still did fine. I had a 16 minute flight! I was blown away on how long I flew.

Multistar 2206/2150kv baby beast
3.7g HK servos
10a Turnigy Plush
2 cell zippy compact 850
4 channel orange rx
5x3x3 prop

Last edited:

Lorenzo

So even though I told myself...and my wife...that I am on an airplane-building hiatus, I got bored and built a Mini Scout. I purchased some electronics with a focus on being as light weight as possible. What did your all-up-weight end up being for your Scout? Also, did you use a three-blade prop for any particular reason? Did you notice any benefits with using a three-blade?

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
So even though I told myself...and my wife...that I am on an airplane-building hiatus, I got bored and built a Mini Scout. I purchased some electronics with a focus on being as light weight as possible. What did your all-up-weight end up being for your Scout? Also, did you use a three-blade prop for any particular reason? Did you notice any benefits with using a three-blade?

Glad you are building. I know it can get in the way of family time and can be difficult to balance it all.

AUW is 160g( I dont have a decent scale but need one)
Battery is 48g with XT60 on my scale and specs list it as 44g with jst.
Plane is 112g without battery.
image.jpg

Prop choice

Well I had some cheap 5x3s that were not great and broke as I put them on. So I had picked up some 3 blade and they fit.
I ran the watt meter on the 3 blade and it was within the 10a plush limits. Cant remember actual values (updated below). The 3 blade provides more thrust but more amp draw than a 2 blade.

I can hook up the watt meter and try both 3 and 2 blade gemfan props and update my findings on amp and watts but have nothing to measure thrust.

Multistar 2206-2150v2
10a Turnigy Plush
2cell 850mah Zippy Compact 25c
Gemfan props

5x3x3= 35.2 watts / 4.26A- 16min flight until low voltage beeper with 726mah put back in

5x3 = 32.1 watts / 4.05A - didnt have the pep of 3 blade, (on 3 cell 500 was similar to 2 cell 3 blade)

5x4 = 39.6 watts / 5.05A (not tried yet)

6x3 = 43.3 watts / 5.42A (wowzer! hard to hold)(not tried yet)

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Thanks for the info. It sounds like you're right on par with the listed specs. I think (if I did my math correctly) the Scout airframe - with no electronics - should weigh just a hair over 2 ounces. The FT recommended electronics setup comes in at about 3 ounces with the battery included. I'm hoping to shave off 0.5 to 1.0 ounce for an AUW at about 4.0 to 4.5 ounces...this may be hopelessly optimistic, but we'll see.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Thanks for the info. It sounds like you're right on par with the listed specs. I think (if I did my math correctly) the Scout airframe - with no electronics - should weigh just a hair over 2 ounces. The FT recommended electronics setup comes in at about 3 ounces with the battery included. I'm hoping to shave off 0.5 to 1.0 ounce for an AUW at about 4.0 to 4.5 ounces...this may be hopelessly optimistic, but we'll see.

May be possible depends on motor and battery as those are the heavy items. I have a big/heavy motor and battery at 5.5 oz so a smaller combo would get you there.

Looking forward to see yours! Have you a theme in mind for this plane too?

I was thinking of a Curious George figure in mine.
image.jpg

Lorenzo

Well, my airframe is at 2.3 oz. I really wanted landing gear on this one for the occasional touch-and-go off a rooftop or picnic table so I used some super light wheels I had originally planned to put on my Mini Guinea.

Scout.jpg

Scout2.jpg

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Just couldn't get the weight down; she's 5.3 oz RTF. Got stuck about 45 feet up in a tree today, nothing some pvc pipe and duct tape couldn't solve...

Received my lazertoyz mini scout package, are you guys soldering the connectors to the motor wires or is there another way of doing this? These things are tiny.

Lorenzo

I did, I'm using an Orange 6 ch (because that's all I buy for some reason) and brought the weight down from about 10g to less than 5g. Not much, but it all adds up.