FT Mini Scout Build (Mighty Minis)

Lorenzo

That is about the same size as my Orange, I'll bet if you take off the case it'll be half the weight.

I ordered the lazertoyz package.....
but what would cause the motor not to spin? It just sputters.
Would it be the motor or esc? Its the emax mt1804 with a 10a esc.
Got it all setup and about to maiden and went to check all my throws, servos work but motor just sputters.

Lorenzo

Have you tried the 3 motor/ESC wires connected in different combinations? That is odd, I've got a motor that does that but I'm fairly certain it got fried due to insufficient wire insulation; I think they crossed at some point in flight.

Yes tried switching the wires and nothing happens. Think the motor is bad? Never even got to fly it.
I tried connecting the battery while having the trottle up and the esc would start to beep several times and then bring the trottle down and still the same. Now it actually doesnt do anything. I dont have another esc or motor to try to switch them to see what works so not sure what to do.

Lorenzo

Do you think your wires may have touched with power on? If so that may have something to do with it...

Dont think so....after soldering the connectors i wrapped each one with a small strip of electrical tape just to be on the safe side.

Lorenzo

Well dang, that sucks man. It's either a bum motor or it somehow got zapped, maybe contact emax...or just bite the bullet and get a new one. Or, just maybe, cut that tape away and make sure your soldering didn't break loose...

Yeah i think i might just order a new one. Is there a way to check if its the esc? I might just order a new esc and motor just to be on he safe side

What combo do you have on yours?

Kronblom

Quick question. :)

I took a 2300kv motor from a mini quad build and I want to use it on my scratch built mini scout. Now, since the motor is already soldered on to the esc I noticed that it turned the "wrong" way. Since I am lazy is it ok to use a counter rotating prop? Instead of re-soldering the motor wires?

ruud

That should be fine but keep in mind when you build the power pod to use a left thrust angle instead of right thrust angle.

UltraMan

Newb question here... (Please forgive me)
I just built the Mini Scout and wanted to make sure i get parts that will work with this plane.
Potential Build Config:

TURNIGY Plush 9gram 10amp ESC
HobbyKing™ HK15178 10g Servo
TURNIGY 2204-14T 19g Outrunner

Specs:
Model: A2204-14
Cells: 2-3
Kv: 1450rpm/V
Maxx Eff: 74%
No load Current: .3A
Max Current: 7.5A
Weight: 19g
Int. Resistance: 550mh
Dimensions: 27.6 x 11.5mm
Recomended Model: (3D 220g or less)
Recomended prop: 8040/2S or 7035/3S

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hey Ultraman, Welcome to the forum!

That servo could possibly work, but you might find it a bit large for fit -- there's not much space in there. You'll probably be better off with a 3g to 5g servo like an HXT500 or TG1370A.

Not sure about that motor. Power-wise it should be perfectly fine, but the firewall is pretty small and it might be hard to get it mounted. Might be just fine. Hard to say, and at this size, there's not much room to be flexible.

nagromnewo

Newb question here... (Please forgive me)
I just built the Mini Scout and wanted to make sure i get parts that will work with this plane.
Potential Build Config:

TURNIGY Plush 9gram 10amp ESC
HobbyKing™ HK15178 10g Servo
TURNIGY 2204-14T 19g Outrunner

Specs:
Model: A2204-14
Cells: 2-3
Kv: 1450rpm/V
Maxx Eff: 74%
No load Current: .3A
Max Current: 7.5A
Weight: 19g
Int. Resistance: 550mh
Dimensions: 27.6 x 11.5mm
Recomended Model: (3D 220g or less)
Recomended prop: 8040/2S or 7035/3S

I seem to remember they said on the video that it flew fine with 9g servos so 10g will probably work if there's room for them, but smaller/lighter is certainly better in this case. There's no way you need those big servos. If that was all I had and I didn't want to wait for smaller ones I'd find a way to cram them in. They might have to be staggered height and length wise to have space for the servo arms and control rods.

Owen

Last edited:

UltraMan

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it. This is my first attempt at electric flight and I am really looking forward to it.

Mstrkaratakus

Best Reciever for the minis?

Greetings all. Just got back into the hobby after a 25 year absence, found FT while doing some research and just HAD to try my hand at the Minis so I could have something small enough to fly in the small parks around my house. I currently own two transmitters, both Spektrums, a dx5e and a dx6. My question is, what receiver(s) would you guys recommend for use in the minis? My dx6 came with the AR610, but the esc and servo connectors don't fit the slot with the housing on it. The dx5e came with Pheonix simulator I purchased before buying ANY airplanes so I could brush up on MUCH out of practice skills lol.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
first off, Welcome to the forum!

Second . . . housing? you mean the plastic bits I take off immediately and replace with 3/4" shrink tube? ;)

As for the servo leads, If it looks like they have a key tab like this:

futabaconnector.png

simple cut off the tab flush -- it only helps maintain orientation, and if you plug a modern servo in backwards, noting will break, it simply won't work. flip it over and you should be good to go.

Choice is yours -- any DSM2/DSMX RX should do the job :)

Last edited:

Mstrkaratakus

Still looking for a recommendation

Fixed the connectors fitting in my ar610 issue, but it has proved unreliable while flying, so I'm still looking for a recommendation for a receiver for these minis :)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Unreliable how?

The AR610 isn't exactly a high-end RX, but spectrum gear is typically very good. If something isn't functioning right due to setup, swapping out the RX won't help. If it's failing for defect, Horizon is usually pretty good about supporting their products -- you pay more, but in return you actually get support.

For alternatives, I've had great success with the OrangeRx 615X recievers. they're running on about 1/4 of my fleet, with the older DSM2 615's running on most of the remainders. plenty of range and cheap.

Plenty of people recommend the LemonRX RX's as well. DSMX and DSM2 versions re similarly priced between Orange and Lemon, and many who have used both report similar performance.

I can say, beware of clones-of-clones. Orange and Lemon RX's are Spektrum clones, but function well, however no-name Spektrum clones and clones of Lemon and Orange RX's are on the market and underperform. I'd avoid Ebay for RX's -- no way to verify they're real before it's too late. I'd recommend buying spectrum from reputable hobby shops, or buy lemon/orange RX's from the source -- lemon from lemonRX.com and Orange from Hobbyking.