FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge

sundown57

Legendary member
im sure it is but i have to say i really like the looks of the scout with the scallops. And i enjoy building as much as flying so think I'll try the mini scout first.

sundown57

Legendary member
ok guys i have another question. I plan to eventually finish the simple scout build, ( although i do feel the word simple to be a bit misleading lol ) I also would like much to start building twin-engine planes. I was thinking if i buy a twin now i could use it in the simple scout then advance to twins . So looking at the store i see several. can anyone suggest should i go with the larger version and overpower some of the smaller models or go with the smaller and underpower larger ones ? in other words is there like a common set up that covers more planes then others ?

sundown57

Legendary member
i put a cummins diesel in a 1500 regular cab dodge ram so heck yeah I'm all for overpowering. so if i go for the C pack do i need that y cable and does it use one or 2 batteries? I see it uses the xt60 connector and my f pack uses xt30. so not sure what else i need to go with it ?

Reactions: FDS

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
For most twins, and especially if you're going C pack sized motors, you'll need to upgrade from the xt30 to the xt60. The number in the xt identifier is the number of amps it's rated for - you'll want that connector to be equal to or greater than the capacity of all the ESC's in the system added together.

However if you power your twin motors with separate batteries to their ESC's you might still get away with the smaller sized connectors - if those ESC's are 30 amp rated or lower.

Either way, make sure to disconnect one of the power leads going from the ESC to the receiver - otherwise you've got two separate BEC's pumping 5 volts each into the receiver, at which point the smoke comes out of it. :D

sundown57

Legendary member
if i buy the c pack I would just get the right batteries to go with it and the right connectors. I just haven't done enough research yet to know if i should use one battery with the y connector or 2 separate batteries. i see the pack comes with 2 ESC. i also just did some looking around in the DIY build. there are really one 2 twins and one is a sea duck. i would have thought there would be more. unless im not looking in the right spot.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
if i buy the c pack I would just get the right batteries to go with it and the right connectors. I just haven't done enough research yet to know if i should use one battery with the y connector or 2 separate batteries. i see the pack comes with 2 ESC. i also just did some looking around in the DIY build. there are really one 2 twins and one is a sea duck. i would have thought there would be more. unless im not looking in the right spot.
There’s the sea duck as you said and also the ft legacy, also don’t forget about the kraken, that beast of a flying wing. Then there’s Peter’s guinea, and his bronco, going back even further there’s the cruiser. I think that’s all the ft c-pack twins ;).

sundown57

Legendary member
i dont see the cruiser but yeah there are a few. i just thought they would be more popular. still i think buying the c pack is a better value then the B.

sundown57

Legendary member
yeah i figured that . I was just trying to plan ahead. I have absolute zero fly skill. but i do like building them but hate waiting a week or more for parts. so thought if i could get kinda of an around set up it would give me the options of what planes i could build

mayan

Legendary member
That’s one thing I did when I started ordering parts if you’d like I’ll share a spreadsheet with you that has all the FT models and their electronics that they need.

sundown57

Legendary member
im sure that would be helpful. It will give me an idea of the most builds possible with each power pack. than you

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That’s one thing I did when I started ordering parts if you’d like I’ll share a spreadsheet with you that has all the FT models and their electronics that they need.

That would be a great thing to upload in the Resources section of the forum too - I think it would be helpful to a lot of people!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
This is where I'm at.
IMG_0256.JPG

If I skip the turtle deck aesthetics and just glue this together and install the electronics, I think I can have it ready to fly on my next day off. My questions is, for the purpose of this challenge, do ya'll think it would qualify as an official FT Mini Scout?