FT MS ME-262

chickenhawk

Set charger to NIMH, set to lowest charge setting. When cells hit 3.3 volts per cell or about 10 volts change to lipo charge. I always charge at low setting after doing this.

chickenhawk

All done with #3. Added a removable wing, rudder, plywood reinforced nacelles (for belly landings), and a BBQ skewer reinforced vertical stabilizer.

Dunno about painting it, as I'm really paranoid about weight. Folks that wanna build the EDF version may want to look at using a bigger 70mm motor running a 6S battery rather than the recommended 4S one I'm using. I have a buddy with a Flightline Me-262 that runs a 6S battery and may borrow it if the 4S seems underpowered. His plane is much heavier, but his scoots across the sky with a lot more vigor than mine. My ESCs are 80amp (and I don't know diddly about them), but I would assume my current motor setup could handle a 6S. Both ESCs are buried in the wing, so if I smoke 'em they are going to be a pain to access.

I've also revamped the launch dolly (thanks again, Cappy) removing the foam pool noodles, adding a little more launch angle, and putting paint sticks in the front. Fingers crossed! The weather is supposed to be decent this weekend for a potential maiden.[/QUOTE

I have to paint mine, helps me with the orientation, built one once out of white foam board and did not paint it.. Yup lost it in the sky and crashed.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Those electrical moves are smart. Saves potential pain and suffering later.

I was going to maiden mine this weekend but killed my $70 4S battery by leaving it plugged in the plane for a few days. Whoops! Not good. My charger won't even recognize it now.
I left a 2200 4s plugged in for most the day in my mamba, thankfully I discovered it when I noticed a strange glow when the lights were out. It was down to 3.3v per cell so thankfully it’s saveable.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
It was warm enough here today to put a little paint on it. Using very minimal paint to keep it as light as possible for her maiden, which will occur maybe later this week. And yes... that is Matthew Dupreez's new Sig Kadet Junior photobombing us in the background.

Attachments

• 20211128_164412.jpg
    20211128_164412.jpg
    754 KB · Views: 0

CrshNBrn

Elite member
It pushed 60* in the Pacific Northwest on Sunday, so it was a good day to spraypaint foamboard. Yes, I'll post something, maybe tears and cusswords, to document the maiden. Will you do the same?

chickenhawk

Yup but your going to have to it warms way up. Not going to try landing this one in the snow. May have to plow the snow off the run way and hope that I stick the landing. Any chance you can weight the plane in ready to fly form?

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Maidened today. She weighed in at 819g (without battery). As you can see in the video, she hand launched easily and handled great...right until the wing folded up. Post mortem revealed the center spar had snapped. It handled most of the stress of the wing until it didn't.

While it looks cool in the air and sounds even better, I'm done with the FT MS Me-262. I don't know if it is a weak wing design or some other factor, but this plane just makes me sad.

Attachments

• 20211202_093804.jpg
    20211202_093804.jpg
    580.5 KB · Views: 0

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Maidened today. She weighed in at 819g (without battery). As you can see in the video, she hand launched easily and handled great...right until the wing folded up. Post mortem revealed the center spar had snapped. It handled most of the stress of the wing until it didn't.

While it looks cool in the air and sounds even better, I'm done with the FT MS Me-262. I don't know if it is a weak wing design or some other factor, but this plane just makes me sad.

if it happened multiple times, then its gotto get some reinforcement!

chickenhawk

Wow just don't know what to say. I did not see any kind of g-force that would have caused the spar to break like that. Flew great and sounded great. BUT now!!!! I guest I just finish mine and hope for no spar problems. I love what ever that green stuff is on the ground.

chickenhawk

I think it may be interesting to hear from others who may have built the FT ME262 and see what they have to say. Good bad or other wise. I see on the FT web page there is only 1 review of the ME262 and its 3 stars but more about the build plans.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
if it happened multiple times, then its gotto get some reinforcement!

This was the first time the wing folded: #1 died from my poor piloting. #2 died from a bad hand launch. However, I think you're right to point out to any future builders that some additional reinforcement may be needed beyond the one thin spar that bridges the two wing sections. It's a big ol' foam wing, after all.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I think it may be interesting to hear from others who may have built the FT ME262 and see what they have to say. Good bad or other wise. I see on the FT web page there is only 1 review of the ME262 and its 3 stars but more about the build plans.

I agree- we don't see much info for this plane, positive or negative.

chickenhawk

This was the first time the wing folded: #1 died from my poor piloting. #2 died from a bad hand launch. However, I think you're right to point out to any future builders that some additional reinforcement may be needed beyond the one thin spar that bridges the two wing sections. It's a big ol' foam wing, after all.

Got to ask, was the spar glued with hot glue or Grollia glue? Both the foam to wood part and the spar to the wing?

Burnhard

there was so much excitement for them releasing it...
Have the kit in my basement as a winter project. Will need to make either a split wing or removable wing as I cannot fit the full aircraft into my car. Plan to add some carbon tubes which should provide ample stability.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Gorilla glue. It seemed solid. I've only been able to do a quick look so far (had to get back to work), but that center spar was the only wooden piece that was broken. I'll update this thread if I find out differently.

Nothing like my multiple crashes to make you a little worried about your own bird, huh?