FT MS ME-262

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I would think the pusher version would look more realistic, but would be challenging to hand launch safely. Since you're putting gear on it, that shouldn't be an issue.

chickenhawk

Ok now you have me rethinking things, how much difference in perfomance is there between push and pull? I don't need to go 200 mph, I just like a nice flying airplane.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
All done with #3. Added a removable wing, rudder, plywood reinforced nacelles (for belly landings), and a BBQ skewer reinforced vertical stabilizer.

Dunno about painting it, as I'm really paranoid about weight. Folks that wanna build the EDF version may want to look at using a bigger 70mm motor running a 6S battery rather than the recommended 4S one I'm using. I have a buddy with a Flightline Me-262 that runs a 6S battery and may borrow it if the 4S seems underpowered. His plane is much heavier, but his scoots across the sky with a lot more vigor than mine. My ESCs are 80amp (and I don't know diddly about them), but I would assume my current motor setup could handle a 6S. Both ESCs are buried in the wing, so if I smoke 'em they are going to be a pain to access.

I've also revamped the launch dolly (thanks again, Cappy) removing the foam pool noodles, adding a little more launch angle, and putting paint sticks in the front. Fingers crossed! The weather is supposed to be decent this weekend for a potential maiden.

Attachments

• 20211117_203318.jpg
    20211117_203318.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211118_094028.jpg
    20211118_094028.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211118_094043.jpg
    20211118_094043.jpg
    661.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211118_094123.jpg
    20211118_094123.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
All done with #3. Added a removable wing, rudder, plywood reinforced nacelles (for belly landings), and a BBQ skewer reinforced vertical stabilizer.

Dunno about painting it, as I'm really paranoid about weight. Folks that wanna build the EDF version may want to look at using a bigger 70mm motor running a 6S battery rather than the recommended 4S one I'm using. I have a buddy with a Flightline Me-262 that runs a 6S battery and may borrow it if the 4S seems underpowered. His plane is much heavier, but his scoots across the sky with a lot more vigor than mine. My ESCs are 80amp (and I don't know diddly about them), but I would assume my current motor setup could handle a 6S. Both ESCs are buried in the wing, so if I smoke 'em they are going to be a pain to access.

I've also revamped the launch dolly (thanks again, Cappy) removing the foam pool noodles, adding a little more launch angle, and putting paint sticks in the front. Fingers crossed! The weather is supposed to be decent this weekend for a potential maiden.
Good luck! (y)

chickenhawk

I try hard to avoid the impact part, LOL but I do know that they will fly again after repair after repair after repair. Nothing like a hot glue gun and 2 in wide tape. Just ask my poor old Air Tractor, I don't how many times I fixed the nose-the wings-the tail.

chickenhawk

Well found out how hard it is to put top wing skin on with landing gear hanging down, if I did again I would use the white foaming gorilla glue not the clear none foaming type. Used up 1/2 of a roll of the 1 inch blue tape.

chickenhawk

The only modes I have made have been on the electronic side. I filed a small round notch on the spars to allow the wires to sit flush with the top of the spars. And I terminated the servo and the esc extensions ( with a small amount of slack) at the hole leading to the power pods. My thinking is that if I ever have a servo or a esc failure I can fish the wire out and replace them. If I ever have to replace the power divider wire, I can unsolder the xt 60 and slide that out too. I would hate to have to cut the wing apart for some thing as simple as a servo failure.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Those electrical moves are smart. Saves potential pain and suffering later.

I was going to maiden mine this weekend but killed my $70 4S battery by leaving it plugged in the plane for a few days. Whoops! Not good. My charger won't even recognize it now.

chickenhawk

You can fool the charger into thinking its all right and then it will charge. Done it many times to make up for my dumb mistakes