FT MS ME-262

Taildragger

Legendary member
Wow! Having Splinter189 answer your thread personally is like getting to meet your favorite rock star and getting their autograph. Thank you. No issues with the build so far; I'm going to take it slow and enjoy the process and keep sharing pictures as I go.
haha had a similar feeling when I met trent palmer and got his autograph

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Big rainstorm forecast for the next few days here in the Pacific Northwest, so its a perfect time to start #3.

I plan in using the same mods as #2 (removable wing, added rudder, and reinforce the vertical stabilizer) as well as reinforcing the engine pods with an additional former in the middle and some thin plywood on the inside of the skins. Those pods take the full force of belly landings and need a little help.

At the risk of trashing another $129 SBK, I'm going to put the Powerfun 70mm EDFs back in it one more time. I don't know if they are generating enough thrust for this beasty, but I'll build light as possible and cross my fingers. However, if #3 dies like its predecessors, I'm throwing in the towel: #4 will have propellers and fixed landing gear. Bleah. Kills the look, in my opinion.

I realize for the amount of cash I've invested on #1-3 (plus electronics), I could have just bought the Freewing Me-262 and be done with it...but what fun is that?

Attachments

• 20211111_063619.jpg
    20211111_063619.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

chickenhawk

Snow on the ground and -11c so a good time to start mine. But I'm still going with 3 blade props and landing gear. Still going to follow you with intrest.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Snow on the ground and -11c so a good time to start mine. But I'm still going with 3 blade props and landing gear. Still going to follow you with intrest.

Wise choice. I think you are choosing the less expensive and far less painful option. If you can, document your progress as well- I'd like to see how things turn out.

chickenhawk

I have not unpacked mine yet, today is the day. But I'm going to add the rudder and the extra wing support. But what did you do to beef up the rudder? With taxes and shipping the kit in Canada is almost $200.00 so going slow and carefull LOL

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Congratulations! What a great way to beat the cold outside. Sorry the kit was so spendy up there! Thats powerful incentive to get the build right the first time, eh? The rudder is a little wonky and different from the usual "45* bevel-with-the-razor-blade-scrape-the-hot-glue-in-the-crack" method used in the other master series planes, as I think it was designed with no rudder and differential thrust in mind.

The kit will include two rudder pieces, but I only used one. The rudder is attached by removing some of the foam from the edges of the vertical stabilizer (you'll see in the symbol mapping) to leave two paper tabs. You'll follow the build instructions about folding the paper flat to create a tab, but skip the step that says "glue the tabs together" for now. You then sandwich the paper tabs around the of the vertical edge of the rudder to act like a long hinge. Check for level and alignment before attaching. I hot glued it last time, but am probably going to use something less thick (like clear Gorilla glue) this time. I ran an extra servo with the usual coffee stirrer pushrod method to power the rudder. It had good range of motion and seemed to work okay.

The vertical stabilizer is actually two pieces (see the build photos) sits on top of the fuselage with not a lot of support. I ran a long BBQ skewer through the bottom half of the VSTAB into the fuselage. The other end went through the horizontal stabilizer and then up into the taller portion of the VSTAB as I installed each piece It should keep things more aligned & perpendicular, especially when subjected to the high speed flight stresses. I don't think I have any pictures of that part, but will take some of #3 when I get to that step and share them here.

Good luck. Enjoy the build.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Plywood reinforcement of pods. Thats one expensive piece of wood! $16 at the local hardware store. The extra bulkhead comes in handy to hold the proper shape. Will trim to fit after it dries.

Attachments

• 20211112_105759.jpg
    20211112_105759.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211112_111756.jpg
    20211112_111756.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

chickenhawk

Question about " clear Gorilla glue " its says on box "for non-porous surfaces only" does that mean NOT to dampen the brown foam board?

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Question about " clear Gorilla glue " its says on box "for non-porous surfaces only" does that mean NOT to dampen the brown foam board?

I don't think so. I've been using a spray bottle or a sponge to moisten the foamboard prior to using both white and clear gorilla glues. You could always test on a scrap piece first to see how it acts.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
BBQ skewer reinforcement for the vertical stabilizer and rudder pushrod location. I glued the skewer in first with some white gorilla glue, then measured the distance to know where to put the hole in the fuselage. I think it lodged in the spine, which should give the tall tail a little more support.

As for the rudder pushrod, its easiest to run before putting the spline in. I used some skinny gorilla tape to attach my coffee stirrer pushrod guides to the spline- that little hole in the F5 former comes in handy to feed a long piece of tape in. An extra pushrod is helpful to guide the tape as far back as possible before attaching. The paper hinge seems to work fine on the double thickness rudder. Overengineering? I'll smooth it out later with a hot metal ruler to melt the glue underneath.

Attachments

• 20211115_214455.jpg
    20211115_214455.jpg
    716.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211115_184521.jpg
    20211115_184521.jpg
    656.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211115_184528.jpg
    20211115_184528.jpg
    715.5 KB · Views: 0

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
BBQ skewer reinforcement for the vertical stabilizer and rudder pushrod location. I glued the skewer in first with some white gorilla glue, then measured the distance to know where to put the hole in the fuselage. I think it lodged in the spine, which should give the tall tail a little more support.

As for the rudder pushrod, its easiest to run before putting the spline in. I used some skinny gorilla tape to attach my coffee stirrer pushrod guides to the spline- that little hole in the F5 former comes in handy to feed a long piece of tape in. An extra pushrod is helpful to guide the tape as far back as possible before attaching. The paper hinge seems to work fine on the double thickness rudder. Overengineering? I'll smooth it out later with a hot metal ruler to melt the glue underneath.
Looking Good!(y)(y)

chickenhawk

Well hit my first big snag, must have looked at the picture on Flite Test page 100 times. Clearly shows plane flying with motors in pull configuration, but in the build it shows pusher prop configuration???????? I kept trail fitting the power boxes and just could not wrap my head around the pictures showing the motor mounting. LOL So motors in push or pull? Next question is to mount ESC inside wing and hope one never goes bad or mount behind the motor in side power box?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well hit my first big snag, must have looked at the picture on Flite Test page 100 times. Clearly shows plane flying with motors in pull configuration, but in the build it shows pusher prop configuration???????? I kept trail fitting the power boxes and just could not wrap my head around the pictures showing the motor mounting. LOL So motors in push or pull? Next question is to mount ESC inside wing and hope one never goes bad or mount behind the motor in side power box?
If I remember right they said that it flies better as a tractor. The reason they did it as a pusher was because it looks better.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I'm not going to be much help here, as I've only built the EDF version. I did bury my ESCs in the wing, but would put them in the side power boxes next time if I have to build #4. A little more accessible.

chickenhawk

If I remember right they said that it flies better as a tractor. The reason they did it as a pusher was because it looks better.

Can some one explain " flys better as a tractor" better air for the motors? Not sure how to word my question. I guessing the pusher setup would have to fight the wing for air?