FT MS ME-262

chickenhawk

I think I will add a little weight by adding some extra packing tape to the inside where the wing joins. I have some 2 inch stuff that has fiber strands in it. Did the fuselage get damaged too or just the wing?

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Mostly the wing. I think it's salvageable, but it ain't gonna be a pretty airplane no more. It was that middle spar that broke causing the wing to fold, so anything you can do to reinforce it would be good. Burnhard's idea to put in a carbon fiber tube sounds smart.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Mostly the wing. I think it's salvageable, but it ain't gonna be a pretty airplane no more. It was that middle spar that broke causing the wing to fold, so anything you can do to reinforce it would be good. Burnhard's idea to put in a carbon fiber tube sounds smart.
its still better to salvage it probably and make it even if it isnt pretty. You put in so much time to get all these versions to work, you can make it work!

chickenhawk

Just had a quick look at the WS5-WS5 wood spar, it looks like the " stack symbol " is lazer cuts right through the wood spar. I will try and take and post a picture. Never looked that close before, but it is right where your spar broke.

Burnhard

EDF or props? With or with landing gear?
Will do the EDF version as it looks a bit more scale and the sound is much nicer. The EDFs I usually use give about 1.5kg of thrust each on 4s.

Have not decided on landing gear yet. The issue is that I am flying on a grass field and anything below 70mm wheels is hard to launch from the grass. Also the retracts add a bit of weight. On the other hand I am also a bit skeptic on landing on the nacelles. Will make up my mind when I start building.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Build, fly, crash, repeat.

I agree with your diagnosis, Chickenhawk. That middle spar is pretty weak right at that spot; I guess the flexing of the wing caused it to pop. Anyway, I cut another spar out of thin basswood and sistered it to WS5 and fixed the wing and reattached the nacelles. She's no beauty queen, but doesn't look too bad for falling out of the sky yesterday. We'll see how she does today.

Attachments

• 20211202_194503.jpg
    20211202_194503.jpg
    708.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211202_223726 (1).jpg
    20211202_223726 (1).jpg
    729.9 KB · Views: 0

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member

I agree with your diagnosis, Chickenhawk. That middle spar is pretty weak right at that spot; I guess the flexing of the wing caused it to pop. Anyway, I cut another spar out of thin basswood and sistered it to WS5 and fixed the wing and reattached the nacelles. She's no beauty queen, but doesn't look too bad for falling out of the sky yesterday. We'll see how she does today.
Lol .. she looks way better than most of my builds😂

chickenhawk

I checked mine it has the same flaw, I was going to take pictures. But your pictures show where the flaw is. I'm going to box that spot in with some light ply ( more weight, not what I wanted) . I think maybe some one should bring this to the attention of the FT people. To me it is a design flaw and if not fixed it could lead to a lot of people having spar failure. I know for me I would be pissed if my first flight led to a folded wing and a crash.

Burnhard

This looks great, can hardly see any damage on the aircraft. Good luck with the next try!

Baron VonHelton

Elite member

Attachments

• we-can-do-it-poster-1024x741-960x695.jpeg
    we-can-do-it-poster-1024x741-960x695.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 0

Mr NCT

Site Moderator

Excellent repair. Now it has character!

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Much obliged to you folks for the support. The original purpose of this thread was to highlight strengths and weaknesses of the FT Me-262. I think we've started to do that. I hope future builders watch for that laser cut hole in the middle of the center spar WS5.

I took it out this afternoon and it flew great. I do run it close to full out and haven't tried any maneuvers yet. However, it's SO BIG and that cool jet noise! It even survived my crappy landing where I bounced it on the nacelles. I don't know diddly about flying EDFs, but I learned this afternoon they do take a while to slow down for landing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z7dLUPUXSE

Last edited:

foamboardflyer

Have the kit in my basement as a winter project. Will need to make either a split wing or removable wing as I cannot fit the full aircraft into my car. Plan to add some carbon tubes which should provide ample stability.
Same here, I got mine at Flite Fest and it’s still sitting unbuilt (Mostly because I don’t have time to build it)

Burnhard

Much obliged to you folks for the support. The original purpose of this thread was to highlight strengths and weaknesses of the FT Me-262. I think we've started to do that. I hope future builders watch for that laser cut hole in the middle of the center spar WS5.

I took it out this afternoon and it flew great. I do run it close to full out and haven't tried any maneuvers yet. However, it's SO BIG and that cool jet noise! It even survived my crappy landing where I bounced it on the nacelles. I don't know diddly about flying EDFs, but I learned this afternoon they do take a while to slow down for landing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z7dLUPUXSE
Great re-maiden! Are you using any sort of flight stabilisation? Lately I tend to install FT auras in all of my larger aircraft. It ads an extra level on security in particular in case of hand launches.

Baron VonHelton

Elite member

I use BBQ skewers for my wings. Seems to do real well. My Pfalz E1 had numerous tumbles & falls, & only one side broke even after a really hard crash.

My Fokker D7 hit the ground so hard it destroyed the foam landing gear & bent the rods, but the wings are still intact.

BBQ skewers FTW!

(y)

Burnhard

I use BBQ skewers for my wings. Seems to do real well. My Pfalz E1 had numerous tumbles & falls, & only one side broke even after a really hard crash.

My Fokker D7 hit the ground so hard it destroyed the foam landing gear & bent the rods, but the wings are still intact.

BBQ skewers FTW!

(y)

That is certainly a handy solution. I guess it also depends on wing size. Once you get above 1m, there seems to be a higher chance of the mid section getting to much pressure and breaking up.
Below is a pic of the P51 wing I built last winter. Still relatively light but pretty much unbreakable. B0C0F622-177A-4250-88F1-157650AE28E8.jpeg

Attachments

• 9983BC47-210B-4F0D-8971-D2FA884E9749.jpeg
    9983BC47-210B-4F0D-8971-D2FA884E9749.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
That is certainly a handy solution. I guess it also depends on wing size. Once you get above 1m, there seems to be a higher chance of the mid section getting to much pressure and breaking up.
Below is a pic of the P51 wing I built last winter. Still relatively light but pretty much unbreakable. View attachment 213001

All my stuff will be Mighty Mini Scale, due to my lack of math skills.

......It's easy to divide by 13!

So if you ALREADY have FT's Dr1 & SE5, these will park right alongside of them no problem!

:D:geek:

CrshNBrn

Elite member

BBQ skewers FTW!

(y)
I don't remember the last time I used a BBQ skewer for its intended purpose. Drill bit? Yes. Reinforcing rod. Yes. Engine bolt. Yes. Shish kabob...Nope!