FT Racer Narrow Fuse/Speed wing

Sero

Elite member
Remember way back in the day when we used calculators? I recall wearing a calculator watch in the fifth grade I think. Does that age me? :ROFLMAO:
My spelling has gotten bad with all the auto correct and spell check. If I didn't have that Id have to go back to grade school....:(

Sero

Elite member
Well I had a possible weak spot on the fuse, I'm suspecting due to the fact that I'm using a short power pod. Looking back when I added the skewers I should have moved them all the way forward as the crack ran perpendicular and just in front of the skewer. So I glued the crack with Mod Podge, added gift cards on both sides of the inside and ran tape on top of those.

Then the first coat of paint went on.
IMG_20190921_205433_edited.jpg

IMG_20190923_120500.jpg

IMG_20190924_110730.jpg

Sero

Elite member
Went to the family farm this morning and ran 2 packs through the Racer, 2 packs with the Mini F22 and 2 with the Cub. Was a beautiful morning with practically no wind and I went to the far field which a much nicer spot to fly and land from. I brought my GoPro and recorded both Racer flights. Unfortunately my first flight the camera got knocked and was pointing to the side the whole time. First flight was with the 7x7 prop with a spinner on and when it came down the motor was 29 Celsius.
Second flight I ran the 7x8 prop and had a bit of trouble launching as the prop stalled. Second attempt was successful and when the plane came down the motor was about 36 Celsius. I'm not sure if the plane was much faster with the 7x8 and it probably used more battery. Flight time was almost 4 minutes with the 7x7 and about a minute less with the 7x8 prop. I probably flew at higher throttle settings with the 7x8 prop.
Overall I'm taking it easy still and not doing any aerobatics. Once I get the plane fully dialed in I'll play a bit with loops and inverted. currently the plane is pitching up a bit under high throttle/high speeds, which leads me to believe its more of a trim issue but perhaps a bit of down thrust will be needed. I'm also going to have turn the low rates down a bit, that will make me more comfortable with lower level high speed passes.
Well below is the video and most of the time the ground isn't in view to get a sense of the speed but there are a few shots. Hoping to get a chance sometime soon to measure time over distance to get a speed reading.

How fast do you think it is?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
What the...! Vid is unavailable for some reason.

I tried to play with an 8x10 on the BB and it was prop stall all the way. 3 attempts at launching and the best was at full throttle and it did a high alpha right out of my hand for a couple seconds and dropped to the side. I might try the 8x8 on it but it might be limited to the 9x6, which I get 6+ minutes on.

Sero

Elite member
What the...! Vid is unavailable for some reason.

I tried to play with an 8x10 on the BB and it was prop stall all the way. 3 attempts at launching and the best was at full throttle and it did a high alpha right out of my hand for a couple seconds and dropped to the side. I might try the 8x8 on it but it might be limited to the 9x6, which I get 6+ minutes on.
Video should work now. The fastest looking passes are at 3:30 and 4:00

Ya you could hear when the prop change sound once the plane got a bit of forward speed, couldn't hear it in the video. Going to have to toss it a bit harder.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Went to the family farm this morning and ran 2 packs through the Racer, 2 packs with the Mini F22 and 2 with the Cub. Was a beautiful morning with practically no wind and I went to the far field which a much nicer spot to fly and land from. I brought my GoPro and recorded both Racer flights. Unfortunately my first flight the camera got knocked and was pointing to the side the whole time. First flight was with the 7x7 prop with a spinner on and when it came down the motor was 29 Celsius.
Second flight I ran the 7x8 prop and had a bit of trouble launching as the prop stalled. Second attempt was successful and when the plane came down the motor was about 36 Celsius. I'm not sure if the plane was much faster with the 7x8 and it probably used more battery. Flight time was almost 4 minutes with the 7x7 and about a minute less with the 7x8 prop. I probably flew at higher throttle settings with the 7x8 prop.
Overall I'm taking it easy still and not doing any aerobatics. Once I get the plane fully dialed in I'll play a bit with loops and inverted. currently the plane is pitching up a bit under high throttle/high speeds, which leads me to believe its more of a trim issue but perhaps a bit of down thrust will be needed. I'm also going to have turn the low rates down a bit, that will make me more comfortable with lower level high speed passes.
Well below is the video and most of the time the ground isn't in view to get a sense of the speed but there are a few shots. Hoping to get a chance sometime soon to measure time over distance to get a speed reading.

How fast do you think it is?

Wow, that was FAST! It's really hard to judge, but I'd say a good 80mph +. an absolutely awesome flight!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That was a fast run bro, I know it would get a speeding ticket on the Coq though. And even with flaps it had a sweet glide slope. Low rates still had it handling like an Indy car. Nice flight man

Sero

Elite member
2 more flights today, no issues. Both launch's went much better, more throttle and a harder toss and all is good. I recorded both but nothing new to share. I got the trim set a little better but still need a bit more. I find at higher speeds the trim is a little finicky to set. I might go again to fly in the morning as the rain doesn't come till later.

That was a fast run bro, I know it would get a speeding ticket on the Coq though. And even with flaps it had a sweet glide slope. Low rates still had it handling like an Indy car. Nice flight man

Ya I'm having fun. I just increased full flaps from 45 degrees to 55 degrees, we'll see what happens.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Playing around with some video editing, put together some of the fast passes of V2. Soon I'll know the actual speed as a radar gun is on its way...:D

WOW that was exhilarating! Radar gun on the way! AWESOME! Your fastest pass, I'm thinking 106mph. Before the gun gets there, what do you think?