Ft simple cub group build thread!

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
100% for me. I was going to order the kit but now I’m glad I didn’t. Feels good to step up to the scratch build for the experience. Building from 100% plan scale will eliminate more grief than needing to upsize & correct the plan at a print shop Causes me. If you upsize that much you probably 3D print things like motor mounts & control surface horns, etc.

I built one at 140% and used 9g servos and regular servo horns. Worked just fine. :) Very STOL ! I'm going to use it as a glider tow aircraft.

Last edited:

sh0sey

I had so many other planes I was wanting to work on, and the Simple Cub never really got me excited. That is, until I had a vision for this one. So glad I did it in hindsight. Going to put on the regular gear tomorrow am and take her for a maiden.
I’ve maidened 3 other FT scratch builds this year, all with great success, and yet I still feel so nervous... like what if it doesn’t fly??? Lol. Or more realistically, what if it flies so poorly that it isn’t fun 😭😂
Part of the journey I suppose 😊
Building them is so much fun though. All the possibilities, the thought of getting her airworthy. Gosh I love this hobby.

Attachments

• 3BD1B9D5-BEFC-4FFA-B077-633ADA492151.jpeg
    3BD1B9D5-BEFC-4FFA-B077-633ADA492151.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I had so many other planes I was wanting to work on, and the Simple Cub never really got me excited. That is, until I had a vision for this one. So glad I did it in hindsight. Going to put on the regular gear tomorrow am and take her for a maiden.
I’ve maidened 3 other FT scratch builds this year, all with great success, and yet I still feel so nervous... like what if it doesn’t fly??? Lol. Or more realistically, what if it flies so poorly that it isn’t fun 😭😂
Part of the journey I suppose 😊
Building them is so much fun though. All the possibilities, the thought of getting her airworthy. Gosh I love this hobby.
That looks amazing! Good luck on the maiden! The Cubs fly really well so I’m sure it’ll go great. (y):)

Figure9

Elite member
The parts I ordered from Flite Test arrived today, right on schedule from North Carolina! I’ve been running the Bixler live Cub Build. He goes way faster than I can so I need to keep rewinding. The resizing of plans went well & the Staples girl behind the counter has figured out the I don’t speak their copy artist language.

I’ll keep working on The Phoenix modified Simple Stick to have it ready for the nice weather expected to start tomorrow. I’ll also be burning midnight oil plodding along at slow speed building the Simple Cub. I guess the FT Wire Gear Kit will work just fine on the Cub with the 2” wheels a bit like over size like Tundra Tires.