FT SPITFIRE

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Do a glide test to make sure the CG is good. This plane glides, but isn't a real floater unless it has some speed. Don't be afraid to throw it hard for the glide tests. I would also leave the rudder alone until you get a better feel for how it flies. (Two questions here: are you flying Mode 2 and on your Stick, rudder was located on the right stick?) It flies really well bank-and-yank, so you don't need to worry so much about a new control right away. Keep control inputs small and don't hold them in. More like bump and release at first so you can feel it out slowly. It will self correct/level some but probably not as much as the Stick. It's also going to be much faster than the Stick and more responsive. Find a large area to start in for the maiden, so you can get some altitude before you have to turn and also so your turns won't need to be so sharp until you get some time in the air with it. It doesn't tip stall like most warbirds but it will stall. Fly it to the ground with a bit of speed, keeping above the stall and flare gently, feeding in elevator gradually, keeping it just above the ground until it won't stay up any more. If you try to bring it in and pop a bunch of up on the flare, it will pitch way up and you'll probably stall and nose it in.

Last edited:

Chrisl

its a pretty easy plane to fly. This was my first plane with ailerons as well and its fine. you'll be fine just get out and enjoy it. You can always build another. just get it up past 2-3 mistakes high and enjoy :) good luck!
Ok I will do that then. I will probably get the CG correct and then cut the hole. Also, any tips for me when I maiden? It will probably be a bit still, but I would like to know. I have never flown a airplane with ailerons, but I have been practicing in a simulator for a while. So far I have only flown a slow stick. I love that plane, except for the fact that you can't order a spare wing or rudder. My wing is busted pretty bad. Note: I got the plane that way. I am not that bad of a pilot. Got it used from a neighbor.

Blenderite

Professional Crash Pilot
Thanks for the tips!!! I will defiantly make sure to glide it first!!! Thankfully I can think of at least 2 really big fields, one of which has foot tall grass. I'll probably start there so that there is a softer landing should it crash!!!

Yes, I fly mode 2. As for the speed difference, my slow stick doesn't use the default GWS motor. Instead there is a Emacs Brushless, so it is relatively fast, hopefully the spitfire will be faster though!!! Probably won't get it in the air till after Christmas :( Hopefully I run into some extra cash before then though!

Blenderite

Professional Crash Pilot
I am working on a custom canopy. Wanted to get your guyses thoughts. Silly little forum won't let me upload the pictures here. Sorry about that.

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/61331

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/61332

This is still a prototype of it, but I think it is ready for some color! Gonna try to add some graphics to it.

Edit: Does anyone know the proper paint scheme for a US Spitfire? I would like to make mine look as realistic as possible, since I am going to paint it, might as well do it right.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Good luck!

If you can't sucker someoen into videoing the maiden, take pictures!

Blenderite

Professional Crash Pilot
Just got back. Warming the hot glue gun now. Seems as though this thing is as sensitive to wind as the slowstick. I checked the controls and they were great. Then I gave it a toss. Flew beautifully!

Then, seconds into the flight and before I could get more than 20' off the ground, a gust of wind comes out of no where, flipping it upside down!!! I had no time to react, and it nose dived into the ground. The prop broke and battery slid out. Also the servo extensions came un-done!!! At first it appeared to be fine, it landed in foot tall grass. Then I noticed the prop, busted. At least I had a new prop in the car. Then I picked it up. I notice that the front of the wing droops. Darn. Turns out the foam around the front skewer is cracked through!

Any tips on how to make that area stronger? Thanks! It flew great while it was up in the air.

Also, do you have any tips or drawings on how to layout the wires?

NewZee

Well finished my spitfire . was going to maiden her before I tok the time to paint, but ended up waiting on weather, so I painted it I think she looks pretty good, bu will she fly??? I'll find out tomorrow!
spit1 1.JPG spit 2.JPG

Flynn

Just got back. Warming the hot glue gun now. Seems as though this thing is as sensitive to wind as the slowstick. I checked the controls and they were great. Then I gave it a toss. Flew beautifully!

Then, seconds into the flight and before I could get more than 20' off the ground, a gust of wind comes out of no where, flipping it upside down!!! I had no time to react, and it nose dived into the ground. The prop broke and battery slid out. Also the servo extensions came un-done!!! At first it appeared to be fine, it landed in foot tall grass. Then I noticed the prop, busted. At least I had a new prop in the car. Then I picked it up. I notice that the front of the wing droops. Darn. Turns out the foam around the front skewer is cracked through!

Any tips on how to make that area stronger? Thanks! It flew great while it was up in the air.

I've been thinking about trying a square piece of a popsicle stick around that area. My Baby Blender and grass have put that area to the test.

Flynn

NewZee, that plane looks great! If you were in North Jersey i'd bring mine for squadron flights!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Great Spitfires guys :) I wanna make my own now, how much was all the electronics and could you include a list?
You can find the recommended setup here and as far as cost, that will depend on where you like to shop. Probably plan on about $60-100 to get started for batteries and other electronics if you have a radio and charger already, but more if not.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times

I had the same thing happen with my Spitfire. I reinforced this area by laminating two tongue depressors and cutting them into lengths long enough to span that section of the foam skewer support, then gluing them between the foam supports and the inside wall of the fuselage, where the skewers are inserted. To do this you will have to trim the foam supports to make room for the wooden reinforcements on both sides. Then I drilled a hole just slightly smaller than the skewer to get a good friction fit. It worked really well, but now that I’ve destroyed that plane, all future builds will have non-removable wings. To prevent the servo extensions from separating, I put a dab of hot glue on the joint. I will also be using hot glue to tack the servo wires to the inside wall of the fuse in future builds.

Last edited:

NewZee

Great Spitfires guys :) I wanna make my own now, how much was all the electronics and could you include a list?

I used an NTM 26 28 motor , 9x6 prop, turnigy plush 25 esc, ar4000 receiver , and hxt550 servos, I have a DX6i radio not counting the radio and receiver it was about $90 bucks all in!!!!

NewZee

NewZee,
Nice paint job. Did you apply one color to the entire plane first, and them the other color on top?

Yes, I did the whole plane in the brown (Kaki) color then masked off and did the green, be careful of what type of tape you use as you can pull off the brown paint when removing the tape, also I did the bottom with light blue. not shown in my pics. for the decals I just printed my own designs off on my printer, and covered the front side with clear tape, and then cut out the shape, applied 3M spray adhesive on the back side and slapped them on worked great!

This is how I mounted a spinner on my Turnigy motor (the spinner is from hobbyking )
My Spitfire prior to the spinner
View attachment 13888

I had to enlarge the hole in the spinner backplate just a fraction (just enough to make the hole the same diameter all the way through.)
View attachment 13889

Then screw on the front of the spinner, with this prop this just barely fits
View attachment 13890

After a quick spray of black it all looks the part.
View attachment 13891

All that remains is to fly this thing hard into the ground :black_eyed:

Okolloen - Thank you. The photos help.

I am working on a custom canopy. Wanted to get your guyses thoughts. Silly little forum won't let me upload the pictures here. Sorry about that.

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/61331

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/61332

This is still a prototype of it, but I think it is ready for some color! Gonna try to add some graphics to it.

Edit: Does anyone know the proper paint scheme for a US Spitfire? I would like to make mine look as realistic as possible, since I am going to paint it, might as well do it right.

DogLover -

Regarding USAAF Spitfire color schemes, check out Google images for "USAAF Spirfire." Most seem to have been used in North Africa and followed the RAF's Desert Air Force scheme of earth brown over tan on top, azure blue underneath. Also check out Wings Palette at http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/52/3/3.

NewZee

"NewZee, that plane looks great! If you were in North Jersey i'd bring mine for squadron flights! "

Great! just one more thing to crash into!!!