FT Style F-14 Tomcat

MiniacRC

@jpot1 and @Matagami Designs , thanks for the post and tag!
I love this plane and have always wanted a swing wing for fun. I might build your design as a slope soarer. Just to avoid confusion where do I find the latest plans? Thanks.
Jpot1, awesome tissue application, you're a master!

Matagami Designs

Master member
@jpot1 and @Matagami Designs , thanks for the post and tag!
I love this plane and have always wanted a swing wing for fun. I might build your design as a slope soarer. Just to avoid confusion where do I find the latest plans? Thanks.
Jpot1, awesome tissue application, you're a master!

@MiniacRC - I don't know the 1st thing about building a slope soarer, but if your interested the V1 plans are on #20 of this thread V1.1 stabilator on #30 and updated tail graphics on #50. @jpot1 built his without swing wing and all-moving stabilizer (which require 3d printing) and did a fantastic job. This project is a bit on the back burner for me now as i have been working on the group spitfire build and am doing a FTFC20 build. I believe this was a bit ambitious at the time for me as well. :LOL: I would love to do a V2 some day and any input would be greatly appreciated.

I must say i would love to see as many examples of this build as possible and would be thrilled to see someone build and fly the swing wing design.

JTarmstr

Elite member
I have a spare Racerstar br 2205 with a 6x4 or 5x3 (three bladed). just thinking at this point but could this power the F-14?

jpot1

Elite member
I think mine was about 500g with a 1300 3s and a 50g 2200 kv motor with a 6x4 prop. It was a little sluggish as this plane has a big wing span to move through the air. I actually just bought a 7x4 prop to see if I could get done more speed out of my Turnigy d2826/6.

I think I have a br2205s. On 3s it will certainly fly but may be a bit slow. If you do shrink the plans by 15% I think you’d be fine.

Matagami Designs

Master member
With my build i am at 810g with all the different printed gadgetry for the swing wing and 1300 3s and 2212-06, 2200 kv motor. I have had a nice 3 second or so powered glide. I think @jpot1 has the right idea here. If your looking for the f-14 aesthetics just scale down 15% and build with the wings out.

I think maybe i should be experimenting with moving the motor location to the tail so i am not limited by the size of the prop slot, i could put a bigger diameter prop and C pack? or maybe get really crazy and run a twin pusher?

JTarmstr

Elite member
I think mine was about 500g with a 1300 3s and a 50g 2200 kv motor with a 6x4 prop. It was a little sluggish as this plane has a big wing span to move through the air. I actually just bought a 7x4 prop to see if I could get done more speed out of my Turnigy d2826/6.

I think I have a br2205s. On 3s it will certainly fly but may be a bit slow. If you do shrink the plans by 15% I think you’d be fine.

With my build i am at 810g with all the different printed gadgetry for the swing wing and 1300 3s and 2212-06, 2200 kv motor. I have had a nice 3 second or so powered glide. I think @jpot1 has the right idea here. If your looking for the f-14 aesthetics just scale down 15% and build with the wings out.

I think maybe i should be experimenting with moving the motor location to the tail so i am not limited by the size of the prop slot, i could put a bigger diameter prop and C pack? or maybe get really crazy and run a twin pusher?

Alright then, I think i will try it with a 3 bladed prop. Thanks for the advice.

JTarmstr

Elite member
It has begun!
P1200277.jpg

(Sorry about the image quality)

JTarmstr

Elite member
Hey @jpot1, i'm curious what you had set for throws/expo on your F-14? I am running elevons so I dont know if they require different settings as all the elevon planes I have built previously had the rates already set up. I am aiming for a maiden on Monday so hopefully the weather works out.

jpot1

Elite member
Hey @jpot1, i'm curious what you had set for throws/expo on your F-14? I am running elevons so I dont know if they require different settings as all the elevon planes I have built previously had the rates already set up. I am aiming for a maiden on Monday so hopefully the weather works out.

@JTarmstr i am flying with elevator and ailerons. Not sure the best way to measure deflection but on the transmitter I’ve got 90% throws on the elevator and 70% on the ailerons with 40% expo on both. Just flew again this weekend, super smooth and was much better as I upped to a 7x4 prop on my Turnigy 2826 2200kv motor. Good luck!

Yayat

t
Looks great! I've been working on a similar setup in the form of an SU-34 (SU-27 derivative). I limited myself to a 6" prop and ended up using 3-blades to squeeze more power out of it. Have you given any thought to the change in CG when the wing changes? I was surprised to find out that it balances near the leading edge of the wing at the root.
nice planes, how does it fly?

Joe Carpino

AdityaPratap

Its probably close to that. An earlier post of mine says 19" from the nose. If I recall correctly it was right around the wing pivot.

Here is a video of the same plane modified to be a twin pusher on F packs. Unfortunately I ended up crashing it though.

can you tell me , where these three pieces are used ?

Attachments

• f-.jpeg
    f-.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 0