Ft viggen group build!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Ok, thanks. I'll be using a 2200 3s
That will be better, as I had to add some nose weight to mine. Plus, It’ll give you linger flight times, as EDF’s really suck the power! I’d recommend setting a timer to 3 or 4 min. then landing and checking the voltage. @Headbang and @Hai-Lee could give you better tips I’m sure, since I’ve never used an edf myself. I’m just passing on what I’ve read.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
That will be better, as I had to add some nose weight to mine. Plus, It’ll give you linger flight times, as EDF’s really suck the power! I’d recommend setting a timer to 3 or 4 min. then landing and checking the voltage. @Headbang and @Hai-Lee could give you better tips I’m sure, since I’ve never used an edf myself. I’m just passing on what I’ve read.
Ok, thanks! I'll set it to 3 and 1/2 minutes!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I finally maidened the viggen! My friend launched me the first time and she had a mild lawn dart that made the nose a little dirty but that’s all. I left it out of the vid though. I have more footage I’ll edit and post later, including a lot of inverted flying. @BATTLEAXE you were right - you can totally do inverted with a kfm wing and it flies like a dream. My buddy who was with me also flew it and he was super nervous to fly it. I made him anyways😉 He was amazed at how well it flew! One thing is that in high alpha, it has a ton of wing rock so we were discussing adding wingtip plates and vortex generators. Overall a great plane and super easy to fly. My friend even said it may make a good trainer, so that shows how much he liked it.
INVERTED like a BOSS. Nice maiden, flew awesome, almost floaty.

I know the Viggen has a 10 or so degree of positive angle of attack in the canards, correct me if I am wrong, But I heard from others who have flown the Viggen and judging by you flight, it has a lot more roll then pitch authority. I am wondering how it would fly if the elevator was on the canards and the wing surfaces were just ailerons :unsure:

Matthew Sanders

Elite member

I know the Viggen has a 10 or so degree of positive angle of attack in the canards, correct me if I am wrong, But I heard from others who have flown the Viggen and judging by you flight, it has a lot more roll then pitch authority. I am wondering how it would fly if the elevator was on the canards and the wing surfaces were just ailerons :unsure:
You're correct, the build video says 10 degrees of pitch on the canard. That would be cool if someone tried to make the canards as elevators.

Headbang

Master member
As a 70mm edf, a 4s-6s 3300mAh is generally the sweet spot.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
You're correct, the build video says 10 degrees of pitch on the canard. That would be cool if someone tried to make the canards as elevators.
I watch a few vids on the engineering of plane designs once in awhile and I just thought of it when I watched @The Hangar maiden. I haven't heard of anyone doing it to the Viggen yet. I wonder if it would even out the roll/pitch ratio some. I myself haven't flown with canards before

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

Thanks! You should try and see:)

Headbang

Master member
@Headbang do you think the elevators on the canards would work?
Short answer "no". The canards are there to stabilize and there is no advantage to doing anything with them unless you have them adjustable to mix in with different flight conditions. The viggen flies great without modification. I did cut you a second wing to use as a doubler if you want for added strength.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Short answer "no". The canards are there to stabilize and there is no advantage to doing anything with them unless you have them adjustable to mix in with different flight conditions. The viggen flies great without modification. I did cut you a second wing to use as a doubler if you want for added strength.
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@Headbang do you think the elevators on the canards would work?
On a canard the foreplanes provide the same wing loading as does the main wing in level flight, (this is per unit area of course). If the area or the angle of attack of the canards is varied then the CG or balance point will be effected. The good thing about canards is that they are effectively stall proof in normal flight.

When the plane slows the idea is to have the canards stall before the main wing thereby pitching the nose down and avoiding main wing stall. With varying pitch canards it is possible if too aggressive to induce main wing stall first and then recovery can be almost impossible. Yet another thing to remember with maneuvering foreplanes is that they can stall at high up deflections as well which normally gives a sort of control reversal and the nose drops anyway. Combine this stall of the foreplanes with the main wing lift dumping to try to change the pitch angle to nose up can result in a rapid pancake on the runway at the end of a low and slow speed pass!

You can make the foreplanes work in unison with the elevons with the use/addition of just 2 extra servos and a couple of "Y" harnesses so that the port foreplane operates in opposition to the starboard elevon and of course the same oppositional movement between the starboard foreplane and the port elevon. It does work well but keep the foreplane deflections to moderate to avoid some nasty handling issues!

The roll and pitch responses are very different on the Viggen, (rolls are rapid and the pitch changes are somewhat sluggish). Changing the mix ratio is encouraged after you have flown the bird in the original setup. Finally the bird really LOVES to have excess power. Under-powered is stumbles around the sky and maneuvers can be poor but add some serious power and the thing is a rocket with some serious performance!

have fun!

Last edited: