Ft viggen group build!

Matagami Designs

Master member
Making progress. All the electronics are in place and the motor is spinning the right way. I guess I will close it up and try to finish it off over the weekend as it looks like they are calling for rain.

Attachments

• 20191122_000004.jpg
    20191122_000004.jpg
    762.7 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So the backyard test was a medium success. I didn't change the thrust angle to see what it would be like and it was an issue that needs fixing but other than that everything else was perfect. And pretty soon (next week or 2) I'm going to fly this fpv!! I've never flown fpv before so this will be my first time and I'm super excited!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It should be. The only experience I have is from build videos, but yes it should be tapered. I tested my EDF last night, and I was SO surprised how much it sounds like an actual JET! It's amazing.
I gotta do the EDF thing sometime. I did some research and yeah the exhaust tube should be somewhere around 85-90% of the airflow diameter so the taper makes sense. A buddy who isn't in the aircraft hobby has a 69mm 5 blade 3700Kv EDF and a 60amp ESC. I should see if he wants to donate it into a Viggen

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I gotta do the EDF thing sometime. I did some research and yeah the exhaust tube should be somewhere around 85-90% of the airflow diameter so the taper makes sense. A buddy who isn't in the aircraft hobby has a 69mm 5 blade 3700Kv EDF and a 60amp ESC. I should see if he wants to donate it into a Viggen
Yeah man, get into the edf thing before I do! Didn’t @Headbang cut a viggen out for you? Every time I see my viggen, it screams “EDF” at me, and I always think I should do a twin 64mm in a slightly enlarged viggen and that would make for some insane aerobatics coupled with thrust vectoring!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yeah man, get into the edf thing before I do! Didn’t @Headbang cut a viggen out for you? Every time I see my viggen, it screams “EDF” at me, and I always think I should do a twin 64mm in a slightly enlarged viggen and that would make for some insane aerobatics coupled with thrust vectoring!
He did say he did but we haven't discussed it since. I kinda let it ride just because I don't have an EDF to use in it, and I wasn't keen on doing another pusher, just figured if I was going to do it I wanted to do it right and use an EDF. I might see if I can lock down the EDF option first and then talk to Headbang about it, he may have even used it already if he did cut one out. He did offer but I am not really the kind of guy to ask for charity, but if it's offered... that's a different story.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
TWIN? Dude, all this talk about 70mm fans and 6 cells. I could barely hold on to my single 64 at FULL throttle on 3S! Also, isnt the real life Viggen a single engine?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
TWIN? Dude, all this talk about 70mm fans and 6 cells. I could barely hold on to my single 64 at FULL throttle on 3S! Also, isnt the real life Viggen a single engine?
Lol - only reason I said twin 64 mm instead of twin 70 mm is cause I can’t buy some 4 or 6s 5000 mah pack. I have 4 5000 mah 3s packs which seem like they’d do a good job🤣 Have you started building the viggen yet?

Matagami Designs

Master member
That looks great! Is it bigger than you were expecting? It was for me!

Definitely bigger then what I was expecting and it was a whole.differnt build process than what I'm used to doing an edf. The actual EDF itself was a bit hard to instal since it was closer to 74mm it didn't fit into the stock formers. Plus I made the mistake of gluing the length of the fuse when I folded it up so the formers weren't quite flush when i went to install them.

I know nothing about EDF's so far but is the thrust tube tampered towards the back?

It is tapered but I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind that. You should get that EDF and join in on the fun.