Ft viggen group build!

Headbang

Master member
He did say he did but we haven't discussed it since. I kinda let it ride just because I don't have an EDF to use in it, and I wasn't keen on doing another pusher, just figured if I was going to do it I wanted to do it right and use an EDF. I might see if I can lock down the EDF option first and then talk to Headbang about it, he may have even used it already if he did cut one out. He did offer but I am not really the kind of guy to ask for charity, but if it's offered... that's a different story.
Chances are it is still around, I cut a lot of planes for a bunch of people. Building 3 explorers right now, one of which I cut for @Photo001 and he built most of it, just finished the first today and set it up for buddy boxing. I think there is a couple of viggens on the shelf in that build area.
20191122_162443.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Chances are it is still around, I cut a lot of planes for a bunch of people. Building 3 explorers right now, one of which I cut for @Photo001 and he built most of it, just finished the first today and set it up for buddy boxing. I think there is a couple of viggens on the shelf in that build area.
View attachment 148793

That Explorer wouldn't be hard to spot at all. Another quality build I'd say.

I still haven't talked to buddy about using his EDF for a Viggen but if you have it I could pick it up on Monday, I'll be in town that day, and it may nudge him over the edge to give it up

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Could someone whose built the Viggen measure its fuselage length from the tip of the nose to the farthest point back? I'd just like a reference compared to the 25" wingspan

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Lol - only reason I said twin 64 mm instead of twin 70 mm is cause I can’t buy some 4 or 6s 5000 mah pack. I have 4 5000 mah 3s packs which seem like they’d do a good job🤣 Have you started building the viggen yet?
Nice, how will you modify the Viggen to have 2 EDFs in there? The stock airframe only has one thrust tube

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
So, I ran into a problem 6 minutes into the build video.
IMG_4146.JPG

The inner fuse should look like this...
IMG_4148.JPG

And it came out looking like this...
IMG_4147.JPG

And the front tab didn't line up with the front notch. And when it did,
IMG_4150.JPG

The battery hatch stuck out. I'm not sure why the kit's measurements were off, I built everything right, so I'm not sure. Anyway I hope that my unique fix doesn't mess it up, as the measurement issue might be with the main fuse.
IMG_4151.JPG

So I did this in the photo above.
IMG_4155.JPG

And had to do this to make ends meet, literally
IMG_4156.JPG

And it works!
IMG_4157.JPG

Ok, so it's flush now. I just hope the problem was with the battery bay and not the fuselage, though as soon as I did my score lines I tried to fold it to test if it would fold, and it was bigger than the EDF former, so I'm a bit worried

Matagami Designs

Master member
So, I ran into a problem 6 minutes into the build video. View attachment 148851
The inner fuse should look like this...
View attachment 148852
And it came out looking like this...
View attachment 148853
And the front tab didn't line up with the front notch. And when it did, View attachment 148854
The battery hatch stuck out. I'm not sure why the kit's measurements were off, I built everything right, so I'm not sure. Anyway I hope that my unique fix doesn't mess it up, as the measurement issue might be with the main fuse. View attachment 148855
So I did this in the photo above.
View attachment 148856
And had to do this to make ends meet, literally View attachment 148857
And it works!
View attachment 148858
Ok, so it's flush now. I just hope the problem was with the battery bay and not the fuselage, though as soon as I did my score lines I tried to fold it to test if it would fold, and it was bigger than the EDF former, so I'm a bit worried

Not sure if it helps but my Fuse measures about 27.5" (no nose attached yet) and the battery tray sitting flush at the top goes 11" into it.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Not sure if it helps but my Fuse measures about 27.5" (no nose attached yet) and the battery tray sitting flush at the top goes 11" into it.
Ok, thanks. I'll go measure those. So I think my battery tray was the problem because the lines for folding the fuselage in were not in the middle. They were 1/16 of an inch off! So that took about 40 minutes to get straightened out. Now I'm going to go eat a Vegan breakfast because I'm building the Viggen! (That's how David said Viggen in the release video)

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Yay!!! I'm done with the Viggen. It looks SO good, too. Unfortunately the main fuselage was the problem, as the tabs weren't cut in the right places. Also I have a mystery piece that was included in this kit; anyone know what this is?
IMG_4159.JPG

I don't know what plane this comes from. Anyway here are some pictures of the hacks I had to do to finish this project:
IMG_4163.JPG

IMG_4164.JPG

Finished build photos:
IMG_4160.JPG

IMG_4162.JPG

IMG_4161.JPG

And that's about it. I hope you enjoyed this blog from my experience and if anyone knows what the mystery piece is, you deserve a liked comment!

Matagami Designs

Master member
Yay!!! I'm done with the Viggen. It looks SO good, too. Unfortunately the main fuselage was the problem, as the tabs weren't cut in the right places. Also I have a mystery piece that was included in this kit; anyone know what this is? View attachment 148907
I don't know what plane this comes from. Anyway here are some pictures of the hacks I had to do to finish this project:
View attachment 148911
View attachment 148912
Finished build photos: View attachment 148908
View attachment 148910
View attachment 148909
And that's about it. I hope you enjoyed this blog from my experience and if anyone knows what the mystery piece is, you deserve a liked comment!

Looks good. I'm guessing that piece is for the pusher version, it's in the plans.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I finally maidened the viggen! My friend launched me the first time and she had a mild lawn dart that made the nose a little dirty but that’s all. I left it out of the vid though. I have more footage I’ll edit and post later, including a lot of inverted flying. @BATTLEAXE you were right - you can totally do inverted with a kfm wing and it flies like a dream. My buddy who was with me also flew it and he was super nervous to fly it. I made him anyways😉 He was amazed at how well it flew! One thing is that in high alpha, it has a ton of wing rock so we were discussing adding wingtip plates and vortex generators. Overall a great plane and super easy to fly. My friend even said it may make a good trainer, so that shows how much he liked it.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I finally maidened the viggen! My friend launched me the first time and she had a mild lawn dart that made the nose a little dirty but that’s all. I left it out of the vid though. I have more footage I’ll edit and post later, including a lot of inverted flying. @BATTLEAXE you were right - you can totally do inverted with a kfm wing and it flies like a dream. My buddy who was with me also flew it and he was super nervous to fly it. I made him anyways😉 He was amazed at how well it flew! One thing is that in high alpha, it has a ton of wing rock so we were discussing adding wingtip plates and vortex generators. Overall a great plane and super easy to fly. My friend even said it may make a good trainer, so that shows how much he liked it.
Congratulations on a successful maiden! Those inverted circuits were awesome! :)

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Wow! Oh man, Amazing job! Congrats, that looked amazing and a brilliant landing. I hope the 64mm EDF flies that well! Out of curiosity, what battery were you using?