FT-Viggen Review

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Expo is a fairly personal feel kind of thing, as you adjust them until you are comfortable. I think Josh and David usually recommend around 30% and then adjust to your liking. It looked like you could use maybe a bit more, so you may want to start at 35 or 40% until you get a feel. You can always adjust it as you need to

Jcrankshaw

I am still at a stand still with the foam wire cutting instructions. I would really like to build the plane this way because I went through the trouble of building a wire cutter and cut the templates out

So I finally figured out how to print the hot wire template... big question is how many mm apart should each piece be from each other. Like piece DD is closer to E than say FF is to G. Can someone clarify that...I would think that would be pretty important.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I am still at a stand still with the foam wire cutting instructions. I would really like to build the plane this way because I went through the trouble of building a wire cutter and cut the templates out

So I finally figured out how to print the hot wire template... big question is how many mm apart should each piece be from each other. Like piece DD is closer to E than say FF is to G. Can someone clarify that...I would think that would be pretty important.
Will this help?
View attachment Sportskala_viggen_EDF_70_cm_edit_3_hela.pdf

Jcrankshaw

If it were in English it might... I have seen that and I guess if I were to measure the image at the top I would get numbers but is that the correct way? I don't want to buy foam and do all that work and not have it right. I just think the instructions are pretty vague on this build for the hot wire. My main issue is I don't have the time I used to have to build so every minute I spend troubleshooting is one less minute I have to spend towards a build when I have kids, work, my side business and life to tend to. Thanks for responding

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
There are no measurements only instructions. You'll have to get this printed full size to use like a former plan. There is also a tiled version if you want that to print at home.
Here is what the text on the drawing say in English according to Google:
Manual cutting of body :
Cut the top ( center line ) for themselves and the bottom part as well. We start by cutting out the air duct.
Cutting the two blocks in the styrofoam or Ecoprim , which is the same as that between the "A" and "H" .
Share these so you get the pieces " BC ", " CF " and " FH " . Pin up templates for B and C. Cut the air duct and outer contour.
( Model B becomes steadier if you glue it with adhesive on the foam ) .
detach the C template and attach it to the C -F . Cut your air duct between C and F , and F -H. Wait outer contour .
Share Now foamblocket in C-D , D-E and E-F F- G, G-H .
Pin up the templates and cut the outside contour. Do the same with the page.
Scoop out , or cut out of the radio compartment in the nose BD and battery compartment ev battery may be added during CE . depending on the battery used !
The wing's vertical position depends on the diameter of the air channel selected .
Wing saddle is cut out with the simplest glödsåg by pinning a straight template against the "E" and "G" after they have been glued together .
Canarden simplest folds in on respectively side with a sharp knife. Before the top and bottom part glued together.

guido9788

the link for download the decals is broken,or doesnt work,or i dont know,did somebody have downloaded the decals? if somebody have it,can post a link to download it please??

manasdeore

Rudder!

PHP:
How about you add a rudder right in the wind tunnel.. I am new to the hobby and I am not sure what it's called, the exhaust pipe thingy. You could always add a rudder there and it won't put the plane in a barrel roll.

bluestreak342

Landing gear

Anyone who's out there now -- I'm going to get the viggen, with an edf setup (everything included esc, fan, tx,...), and I was wondering where I could get a pair of light landing gear.

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
PHP:
How about you add a rudder right in the wind tunnel.. I am new to the hobby and I am not sure what it's called, the exhaust pipe thingy. You could always add a rudder there and it won't put the plane in a barrel roll.

Welcome to to the forum! :D Good idea. I may have to try that when I get a Viggen built...

Komengjher

I got the Graupner MZ-12 HOTT transmitter from the flitetest store, and don't seem to locate the elevon mixing. Any help would be appreciated. post a reply here or email me. Thanks. I also fear that this transmitter does not support elevon mixing... if not what transmitter/receiver are you all using? I want to fly my Viggen as well, first scratch build and finding a lot to learn. Learned how to ply from RTF/BNF planes from local hobby and thought I should try this out. It's harder than I thought, but I'm sure after I get the info I needed from above I should be good to go. Thanks!

earthsciteach

I'm just piling on an old thread. I picked up a Viggen at last year's Flite Fest and finally got around to building it. I installed a 70 mm edf setup. Maidened it today and WOW! This plane is pure fun! It really is as described in the review video - docile, yet fast. Roll rate is blurry. I only needed two clicks of right trim and it flies straight as can be. I am totally happy with it! :applause:

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
only issue i have with this, being that im building a quick build kit right now, is that the cg is not gone over in the build video and on the plans it says 5.25 from the leading edge of the rudder. That is just a wacky place to measure from, plus it doesn't say to measure towards the nose 5.25 or towards the tail.