FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Well, look what arrived!
DSC_3642.JPG
I will mount it on the tank and try to push some distance, the fpv glider is currently waiting for a new flight controller

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I froze my butt off in 27 degree f (-3 c) but with no wind we had a great morning of flying! :D

cold_morning.jpg

Even won a round of the "lobster combat" style streamer chasing by taking almost the whole streamer off the chase plane and down in a forced landing (motor stopped) with the All Star bipe! :ROFLMAO:

IMG_20191221_114826-1024x768.jpg

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
cold morning and it messed with everything. 34 degrees when i left @ 7:30, finally feeling a little winter in tucson.

got to field and flew my 64" Corsair and all is good. no issues except my CG is a little off and tail heavy.

went to maiden my new wing model and my new Dx8 wont turn on. screen just flashes and nothing happens. walk around field and find someone with another battery i could try. this was a turnigy 2s-4000mah and as soon as i plugged it in the Tx worked just fine.

i go ahead and maiden the wing and other than being bummed with speed performance of wing, the Tx worked fine.

i take battery back out and hand back to member with thanks. figure at this point it has to be battery and most likely battery temp. so i put it in my pocket and wait...

finally i decide it has to be warn enough. plug it in and same blinking screen. at this point i decide my day is done and just will watch.

jim, the member who lent me the test battery, agin offered it up for test. i plugged it in expecting all to be well but notta' same blinking screen. maybe it's the Tx? time to send back to Horizon???

at this point i knew my day was done and just spent the rest of the time helping others and talking trash.

i get back home and the plan is to print a maintenance slip and hit the post office quick. before i did, i decided to try and plug my battery in again and see what happens. wouldn't you know.....everything was fine.

i unplugged, re-plugged, turned on and off multiple times, and each work fine. not sure what to think.

i will try and go to field again tomorrow and see what happens but will bring spare Tx just incase.

in the mean time i finished this...

100g under max weight.

Emax 1806-2300kv w 5x5 prop, 12A esc, and 3S-370mah.

20191221_172511.jpg

20191221_172328.jpg

messed up a few things, nose and bottom cover i got backwards so vent is on bottom. i also designed and 3D printed my own motor mount. it is not removable but i figure if i crash this plane, i won't be rebuilding it if it's doing the speed i think it will.

hope to maiden tomorrow, if not it won't be till after holidays.

laters,

me :cool:

Wildthing

Legendary member
cold morning and it messed with everything. 34 degrees when i left @ 7:30, finally feeling a little winter in tucson.

got to field and flew my 64" Corsair and all is good. no issues except my CG is a little off and tail heavy.

went to maiden my new wing model and my new Dx8 wont turn on. screen just flashes and nothing happens. walk around field and find someone with another battery i could try. this was a turnigy 2s-4000mah and as soon as i plugged it in the Tx worked just fine.

i go ahead and maiden the wing and other than being bummed with speed performance of wing, the Tx worked fine.

i take battery back out and hand back to member with thanks. figure at this point it has to be battery and most likely battery temp. so i put it in my pocket and wait...

finally i decide it has to be warn enough. plug it in and same blinking screen. at this point i decide my day is done and just will watch.

jim, the member who lent me the test battery, agin offered it up for test. i plugged it in expecting all to be well but notta' same blinking screen. maybe it's the Tx? time to send back to Horizon???

at this point i knew my day was done and just spent the rest of the time helping others and talking trash.

i get back home and the plan is to print a maintenance slip and hit the post office quick. before i did, i decided to try and plug my battery in again and see what happens. wouldn't you know.....everything was fine.

i unplugged, re-plugged, turned on and off multiple times, and each work fine. not sure what to think.

i will try and go to field again tomorrow and see what happens but will bring spare Tx just incase.

in the mean time i finished this...

100g under max weight.

Emax 1806-2300kv w 5x5 prop, 12A esc, and 3S-370mah.

View attachment 151767

View attachment 151768

messed up a few things, nose and bottom cover i got backwards so vent is on bottom. i also designed and 3D printed my own motor mount. it is not removable but i figure if i crash this plane, i won't be rebuilding it if it's doing the speed i think it will.

hope to maiden tomorrow, if not it won't be till after holidays.

laters,

Take out the battery and try putting the tx in the fridge and see what happens and if all good then put it into the freezer for a bit and try it again. Possibly the cold could be affecting the screen, my battery charger screen goes wonky when out in the cold but the charger still works I just can't read the screen.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
just over 1hr with tiling, cut out, and build. you just cannot beat that with a stick.

20191223_170808.jpg

this is gonna be my new high speed FPV rig. with that in mind, gonna give the new FT motor and ESC a shot.

20191223_171206.jpg

the plan is to run 4S with a 5x4.5 prop. according to FT this is the best performance. would be nice if they also said what ESC they were using for this? i'm gonna cross fingers and hope the 35A will be fine. ;)

at worst case we go back to 3S and a 6" prop.

couple things about the motor;

1- motor did not come with any bolts. not a real issue for me but someone else who is new and doesn't have a whole container of spares, it could be an annoyance.

2- why change the bolt pattern to 16x16? it doesn't match your firewalls anymore. why do that? yes, you can still bolt it on but with only 2 bolts. sorry, i prefer 4 and find it odd that you would change something so fundamental to everything you have done in the past.

3- for the price it would have been nice to have the leads already soldered on to match your ESC's. if we need to change that's our job, but having a matching set would be nice.

ok, enough complaining. i really hope this is the combo i have been looking for. we will see on saturday.

laters,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
well, strike 2 for the new motor mount arrangement. the 3D printed center pod that took 10hrs to print has one of the 16mm holes blocked and i don't think i can clear it out. not really an FT issue but had they stuck to 19x16 pattern i would at least still be able to use 3 bolts. as it is now, im either going to have to change to a different motor or do some major design work and reprint the center pod and recut the wing.

grrrrrrrr.....:rolleyes:

laters,

mach1 rc

Master member
just over 1hr with tiling, cut out, and build. you just cannot beat that with a stick.

View attachment 152001

this is gonna be my new high speed FPV rig. with that in mind, gonna give the new FT motor and ESC a shot.

View attachment 152004

the plan is to run 4S with a 5x4.5 prop. according to FT this is the best performance. would be nice if they also said what ESC they were using for this? i'm gonna cross fingers and hope the 35A will be fine. ;)

at worst case we go back to 3S and a 6" prop.

couple things about the motor;

1- motor did not come with any bolts. not a real issue for me but someone else who is new and doesn't have a whole container of spares, it could be an annoyance.

2- why change the bolt pattern to 16x16? it doesn't match your firewalls anymore. why do that? yes, you can still bolt it on but with only 2 bolts. sorry, i prefer 4 and find it odd that you would change something so fundamental to everything you have done in the past.

3- for the price it would have been nice to have the leads already soldered on to match your ESC's. if we need to change that's our job, but having a matching set would be nice.

ok, enough complaining. i really hope this is the combo i have been looking for. we will see on saturday.

laters,

Beautiful plane I love the arrow

Wildthing

Legendary member
well, strike 2 for the new motor mount arrangement. the 3D printed center pod that took 10hrs to print has one of the 16mm holes blocked and i don't think i can clear it out. not really an FT issue but had they stuck to 19x16 pattern i would at least still be able to use 3 bolts. as it is now, im either going to have to change to a different motor or do some major design work and reprint the center pod and recut the wing.

grrrrrrrr.....:rolleyes:

laters,

You can't drill out the other holes ?

Do you have the stl file ? I can take a look and see if I can modify it.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i already fixed the .stl file and changed it to a 16x16 diagonal offset. this solved all the problems shy of the 10hr print time and new wing i have to build. guess this one will get given to someone at the field and let them finish it.

i guess this also means i don't really have anything to do today so....i guess i'm gonna go shoot some pool. been awhile so it should be interesting to see how rusty i am. at one point many moons ago i used to be good enough that i played the World 9-Ball champion. He kicked my butt, but hey it was an experience not many can say they have had. :LOL:

laters,

Wildthing

Legendary member
i already fixed the .stl file and changed it to a 16x16 diagonal offset. this solved all the problems shy of the 10hr print time and new wing i have to build. guess this one will get given to someone at the field and let them finish it.

i guess this also means i don't really have anything to do today so....i guess i'm gonna go shoot some pool. been awhile so it should be interesting to see how rusty i am. at one point many moons ago i used to be good enough that i played the World 9-Ball champion. He kicked my butt, but hey it was an experience not many can say they have had. :LOL:

laters,

That sounds like a heck of an idea, nice fancy table downstairs and hasn't been touched for a few months. :) I actually even bought a set of snooker balls and haven't even taken out of the box. ;)

Vimana89

Legendary member
Just restocked on DTFB, glue, a new glue gun, and new exacto knife with tougher blades. Until I've done my holiday shopping I've got one power pack free. I've got an 1806 and possibly a 2806(might be a dud though). I may try another annular wing plane, but I'm probably feeling something simpler to build at the moment. I may try it as a box/square wing, or might build something else, either a new slender delta or something else funky, who knows.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Gonna finish up the aforementioned build tonight if I can. The new nose looks nice and two small strips of craft wood(probably Basswood or maybe Balsa) makes a good rigid spine. I have a molded piece that I am going to get creative with to go over the spine/servo cables and make a fuselage that blends into the wing and nose. I'll post pics when everything is done.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I just picked up a Guillow's B-17 that I'm going to try to put together after I finish my Mountain Models P-51. I have a few ideas that I want to try with this one that should be fun, this will be my first multi-engine build so I'm looking forward to the experience before I try my hand at my Cleveland P-38.

props to you. i have several balsa builds in the closet that were gifted to me. each time i pull one out feeling like i got this, i quickly stuff it all back in with my tail tucked between my legs. :LOL:

i have converted several old balsa builds to electric, but i haven't built one from scratch. one of these days....

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i did however build this again today. the modified pod printed perfectly.

20191224_213645.jpg

i can also confirm that the FT 2207-2500kv w/ a 5x4.5 prop @ 4S can be run on the new 35A ESC. i got a max of 34.5A at static. neither the motor or esc was hot. so in the air it should be just fine.

20191225_161525.jpg

should have 3 maidens for friday morning.

laters,

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
i did however build this again today. the modified pod printed perfectly.

View attachment 152115

i can also confirm that the FT 2207-2500kv w/ a 5x4.5 prop @ 4S can be run on the new 35A ESC. i got a max of 34.5A at static. neither the motor or esc was hot. so in the air it should be just fine.

View attachment 152116

should have 3 maidens for friday morning.

laters,

That's a sweet Arrow. I like the center pod, it should rip it up good.

When's the maidens?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yes even on Christmas Day, probably doing the same thing as most of you were doin as well today. So I will post this just because it is Christmas Day
20191225_192208.jpg

Was putting the last of the major components together, today was installing the ailerons and finishing up the belly pan. Waiting on servos to arrive to finish this up. New customized Cub at 130% so I can run a 11x7x3 prop and have a STOL plane, inspired by the Kitfox.

Merry Christmas to all...

Vimana89

Legendary member
I finished the slender delta and added some more decals to my '39 PA Special. The nose came out a l tiny bit cocked/slanted(but not skewed to either side) when viewed head on, but the thrust angle lines up with the rest of the plane which is the important part. I'll be a bit more careful next time but I'm messing with some new styles and techniques. The molded part on the bottom came out alright, it looks nice and provides a really nice grip for launch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I finished the slender delta and added some more decals to my '39 PA Special. The nose came out a l tiny bit cocked/slanted(but not skewed to either side) when viewed head on, but the thrust angle lines up with the rest of the plane which is the important part. I'll be a bit more careful next time but I'm messing with some new styles and techniques. The molded part on the bottom came out alright, it looks nice and provides a really nice grip for launch.
The molded part looks really good!!