FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Namactual

Elite member
Today I finished the U2

View attachment 167383

Ok not really but I did make a lot of progress. I mounted the BDF and started glueing the fuselage sections together and made a new tail section that has a better profile. I might start working on the tail feathers later or more likely tomorrow. I did run into an issue with servo placement in the tail, after I glued the BDF in I realized I had nowhere to run the servo wires. My original plan was to make a U2A, however the U2R has a conveniently placed commlink pod on the tail that is just perfect to hide the wires. The fuselage ended up looking more like an R model anyway so I think I'll just finish it as an R.
Hmm...
You might want to double check your wing specs.:unsure:
:p

whackflyer

Master member
so i got this FT Legacy during some crowd funding thing, been awhile don't really remember... ;)

anyways it has been sitting in the build closet ever since. the plan originally was to do do a 4 motor plane with twin, contra-rotating nose motors and a motor on each wing spinning counter. regrettably i used the nose motor on my mario cart challenge. i won but totaled the motor in process. hence the reason it has been sitting...

zoom forward and i am a big fan of Mike Patey and his builds..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSvdee86uThqIrloZjWwNVg

when Draco crashed i almost cried. :sneaky: now he is building Scrappy...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9OFkVHYEhoFUPV78e3hh0TVPMhYI73f9

and in his recent video he did the crazy suspension he had planned. this got me thinking about the Legacy.

what if instead of going crazy on motors, i go crazy on suspension and style? what about a Legacy that is a bit of a blend of both Draco and Scrappy? :unsure:

went out into garage and stole a shock off an old RC car, and started measuring. these are only 1/18 scale but provide enough info that i'm able to order what i need. got the tires, motors, esc, and battery i need already. just need to design the mounts for the shocks. i will not have the new (4) shocks for several days so final design will be a bit.

in this pic the bbq skewer is the length of the new shocks that i ordered.

View attachment 167674

i plan to run 2 - 1/10 scale shocks on each side to deal with weight plus toe in the wheels so at full extension they hang in, but at static weight they are level. hope this will be enough.

motor plan has changed to 2 counter rotating motors on the wing using a 2213-980 w 9x4.5, 20A esc, and 3S-2200. it's what i have...:sneaky:

for the wing i hope to change to match more of a Draco design with wing tips. haven't got that far in design yet. :devilish:

so basically, i will be building a twin counter rotating, fully suspended, blend of a Cub and a Wilga, out of an FT Legacy. I am actually very excited.

laters,

me :cool:
Where did you get those wheels 😍

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
started fuselage build today but made rookie mistake and screwed up an A vs B fold so need to print and cut a new one. duh... :rolleyes:

but, that meant that i could start design work on the rear wheel. i really wanted to do a fully suspended and steerable but after hours of work i just don't know how i will be able to do that with the space and size we are dealing with that could handle the abuse. so, with the fact that i will have differential thrust, i am going to ditch the steerable part and just see what we can design for suspension.

this immediatly took me back to my motorcycle days and the rear swing arm design. KTM ran a linkless suspension on their off-road models for years. i kinda copied their design and came up with this after a quick speed print...

20200501_190210.jpg

suspension works off the 2 pivot points on bottom of plane and the bottom of swing arm. that pivot is done using a ball joint from the original RC car i stole the shock from.

20200501_185121.jpg

once i had a rough mock up i could make final measurements and go from there. the length is extended 20mm and width 2mm. i also added some "bling" on the outside to make it look cool.

20200501_191205.jpg

i still have to design the top half that this all hooks too. i think i have a plan, :unsure: stay tuned. :LOL:

laters,

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
started fuselage build today but made rookie mistake and screwed up an A vs B fold so need to print and cut a new one. duh... :rolleyes:

but, that meant that i could start design work on the rear wheel. i really wanted to do a fully suspended and steerable but after hours of work i just don't know how i will be able to do that with the space and size we are dealing with that could handle the abuse. so, with the fact that i will have differential thrust, i am going to ditch the steerable part and just see what we can design for suspension.

this immediatly took me back to my motorcycle days and the rear swing arm design. KTM ran a linkless suspension on their off-road models for years. i kinda copied their design and came up with this after a quick speed print...

View attachment 167748

suspension works off the 2 pivot points on bottom of plane and the bottom of swing arm. that pivot is done using a ball joint from the original RC car i stole the shock from.

View attachment 167749

once i had a rough mock up i could make final measurements and go from there. the length is extended 20mm and width 2mm. i also added some "bling" on the outside to make it look cool.

View attachment 167751

i still have to design the top half that this all hooks too. i think i have a plan, :unsure: stay tuned. :LOL:

laters,

What truck was the shock off of? I'm also an RC truck guy and I've thought it would be cool to put RC car shocks on a bush plane but haven't gotten around to it yet...