FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Bricks

Master member
I would really like to see his transmitter as Jase is flying I do not think I could move my stick's quick enough. To do rolls that quick and keep a turn going is insane wondering if he is using elevator or rudder, or at that speed using both which makes it even more unbelievable.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
I should have been doing some homework for a bootcamp I'm taking, or trying to clean my bench to get a plane ready to fly but no. I'm daydreaming about smartwatches and designing watch faces. This is what I did with my afternoon:
Flite Test Watch.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 with a simple custom Flite Test/Edgewater face with time, battery, wind speed, and date.
Kind of RC related. lol
built with Facer Creator (https://www.facer.io/creator), Illustrator, and Photoshop. Now to talk my wife into a smartwatch!

Last edited:

OliverW

Legendary member
I would really like to see his transmitter as Jase is flying I do not think I could move my stick's quick enough. To do rolls that quick and keep a turn going is insane wondering if he is using elevator or rudder, or at that speed using both which makes it even more unbelievable.
He uses both! You use every control surface at once for just about every maneuver in the XA world

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
ya, he flies thumbs which is kinda different than most. most fly fingers including me, and it makes me start to wonder if i should go back to thumbs for 3D? :unsure:

me :cool:
I think that it really depends on how much experience you have with each. For example, I always flew thumbs and I can get more precision with that than almost anything else. The only thing better for me would be thumbs and bracing the stick with my index finger for support. I think that he was probably flying since he was really young, so he had to use thumbs then and he just stuck with it.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I think that it really depends on how much experience you have with each. For example, I always flew thumbs and I can get more precision with that than almost anything else. The only thing better for me would be thumbs and bracing the stick with my index finger for support. I think that he was probably flying since he was really young, so he had to use thumbs then and he just stuck with it.

yes. i started just like him (flying thumbs) but was strongly encouraged to support that with my index finger (flying fingers). i have much better control and consistency using fingers, but i made the switch long ago and that is how i fly now. maybe hours of practice again the other way i would be just as good but who knows.

it is an interesting topic though.

how do you fly?

do you fly different depending upon the airplane? fast vs slow, glider vs 3d?

what about a drone?

any helo's out there?

i fly fingers regardless of craft type. airplane/drone/helo all fingers.

OliverW

Legendary member
yes. i started just like him (flying thumbs) but was strongly encouraged to support that with my index finger (flying fingers). i have much better control and consistency using fingers, but i made the switch long ago and that is how i fly now. maybe hours of practice again the other way i would be just as good but who knows.

how do you fly?

what about a drone?

any helo's out there?

I fly thumbs with my index finger on the front of the stick for support. I do that on everything 😆

Ketchup

4s mini mustang

how do you fly?

what about a drone?

any helo's out there?

I usually fly thumbs but every once in a while I brace it with my index. This usually only happens when I remember to do it though. Also I would normally only do this when I need more control and precision. I am making the slow transition to doing this all the time though.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
on another humble note. one of our club members was again recognized for his service. he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his heroism in action. his actions were just recalled in a new book. he was the first person to hand me a controller in flight and i am honored to know him.

his story here... BEST BACKSEAT DRIVER EVER!

never guess who asked me to maiden his new twin otter this sunday. :sneaky:

honored,