FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I am going to start designing a new plane and I wanted to get some of your ideas/feedback before starting. So basically it is going to be a cross between a sig four star and a great planes super sportster in looks. The wing won't have much taper, if any, and the fuselage will be thin and sleek. The difference between my design and the other two is that my plane would have pretty large control surfaces. This is because I want to be able to do some faster sport flying, but then flip it into high rates and do mild 3d (just simple stuff like knife edge and a hover would be nice). My problem is that I don't know how I should build the wing. I want to use an FT style simple wing, but with that style of wing if I increase the aileron size I'm worried that the airfoil would change too unless I use a symmetrical airfoil or something. Any ideas on what to do? Also I want to use a power pack c and the plane would have a 40-42 inch wingspan.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I am going to start designing a new plane and I wanted to get some of your ideas/feedback before starting. So basically it is going to be a cross between a sig four star and a great planes super sportster in looks. The wing won't have much taper, if any, and the fuselage will be thin and sleek. The difference between my design and the other two is that my plane would have pretty large control surfaces. This is because I want to be able to do some faster sport flying, but then flip it into high rates and do mild 3d (just simple stuff like knife edge and a hover would be nice). My problem is that I don't know how I should build the wing. I want to use an FT style simple wing, but with that style of wing if I increase the aileron size I'm worried that the airfoil would change too unless I use a symmetrical airfoil or something. Any ideas on what to do? Also I want to use a power pack c and the plane would have a 40-42 inch wingspan.
Just use the FT3D wing?

OliverW

Legendary member
You can do fantastic knife edge with the real four star. I've flown my friends one about 5 times. While his doesn't have enough power to hover, it easily could. And the real one has a flat bottom airfoil I believe

Vimana89

Legendary member
Hey, I've been busy with bad weather, other hobbies, and life in general and I don't have much good foam left, but I'll be gearing up to start really building in earnest again around the holidays, and possibly be doing an EDF build by early next year. The next really dedicated, radical build I'll be doing is the tandem bipe, but before that, I have an Emax B pack and a radial A pack I want to try some stuff on. I want a good custom bipe, and a nice monoplane with a longer, more graceful wing.

So yeah, I'll be around and back in action soon(y)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hey, I've been busy with bad weather, other hobbies, and life in general and I don't have much good foam left, but I'll be gearing up to start really building in earnest again around the holidays, and possibly be doing an EDF build by early next year. The next really dedicated, radical build I'll be doing is the tandem bipe, but before that, I have an Emax B pack and a radial A pack I want to try some stuff on. I want a good custom bipe, and a nice monoplane with a longer, more graceful wing.

So yeah, I'll be around and back in action soon(y)
Same - I’ve lost most motivation for building. I’ve been doing CAD stuff for my plans but that’s about it. The weather has been nasty, and I’ve been swamped in school. I have quite a list for the holidays though! 😂

Timmy

Legendary member
Same - I’ve lost most motivation for building. I’ve been doing CAD stuff for my plans but that’s about it. The weather has been nasty, and I’ve been swamped in school. I have quite a list for the holidays though! 😂
I've lost motivation for painting. And because of that I can't finish the Thresher. All I have to do it paint the wings. All the masking takes a toll on me though. And I'm supposed to start and PAINT my second otter before winter. I also have a bunch of school work too.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Crap. I just got more engines. Why does this keep happening...

An older guy was getting out of the hobby due to health reasons and it was mentioned in the club newsletter how he intends to get rid of his things. Well one phone call and a $200 check later and I now own all his engines. Pretty sure he was more interested in just getting rid of them than actually making any money. Most of the about three dozen were old and very gummy 20-60 size Japanese 2 cycles which I will probably just sell off since I have no interest in doing anything with them but... there were a few jewels. Starting with an OS 120 pre-surpass. This one's a definite keeper though I have no immediate application in line for it.

PXL_20201120_054746579.jpg

These two I'm also gonna keep. Another Saito 91! This one's much cleaner than the one I already had. In fact I think neither of these engines really have any runtime on them. Both were still in their boxes. The other is an OS 65 LA. Generally, my sentiment towards the LA series is that they're junk and should be avoided. But the 65s are different for me. Every one I've had has been a strong runner. This one has monster compression and great TDC pinch so I think it'll run good.

P_20200708_222933.jpg

There were also a couple of these old dinky free flight engines. No idea what the hell I'll do with this either. According to some magazine articles for this thing it put out about 25 watts. By comparison a hot 049 will put out about 75. What does one do with 25 watts???

PXL_20201120_060014433.jpg

OliverW

Legendary member
Crap. I just got more engines. Why does this keep happening...

An older guy was getting out of the hobby due to health reasons and it was mentioned in the club newsletter how he intends to get rid of his things. Well one phone call and a $200 check later and I now own all his engines. Pretty sure he was more interested in just getting rid of them than actually making any money. Most of the about three dozen were old and very gummy 20-60 size Japanese 2 cycles which I will probably just sell off since I have no interest in doing anything with them but... there were a few jewels. Starting with an OS 120 pre-surpass. This one's a definite keeper though I have no immediate application in line for it.

View attachment 183725

These two I'm also gonna keep. Another Saito 91! This one's much cleaner than the one I already had. In fact I think neither of these engines really have any runtime on them. Both were still in their boxes. The other is an OS 65 LA. Generally, my sentiment towards the LA series is that they're junk and should be avoided. But the 65s are different for me. Every one I've had has been a strong runner. This one has monster compression and great TDC pinch so I think it'll run good.

View attachment 183727

There were also a couple of these old dinky free flight engines. No idea what the hell I'll do with this either. According to some magazine articles for this thing it put out about 25 watts. By comparison a hot 049 will put out about 75. What does one do with 25 watts???

View attachment 183728
Congrats! And mmmmmmm saito

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
It's described by Banggood as a CRESTED IBIS V2 1220mm - can't find much in the way of reviews, just one youtube video of it flying. It's by QT-Models who re-released the T-45 jet I bought earlier this year so I'm pretty sure it will be made of decent materials. Is see that after their 11.11 promotion it's gone up in price a little - I paid £130 for the PNP incl. one week delivery. Stoked to see it at my doorstep later one this week, fingers crossed.
It arrived yesterday, double boxed, not a blemish in the foam.
Three minor issues.
1. Slight yellow tinged patch on the cowl - in the plastic, so unable to clean it off
2. Some of the foam got into one wing tube when it was moulded - easy clean up
3. One wing servo duff - glitching all over the place - replaced from my parts stock.
Weather for Sunday looks just possible to maiden in, if it doesn't turn any worse.
A good bit of google'ing shows that like the T-45 I bought from QT-Models (excellent plane) this is re-release of an older FMS model, the FMS falcon.
IMG_20201120_184758332.jpg IMG_20201120_184810008.jpg IMG_20201120_184739188.jpg IMG_20201120_184731193.jpg IMG_20201120_184748882.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It arrived yesterday, double boxed, not a blemish in the foam.
Three minor issues.
1. Slight yellow tinged patch on the cowl - in the plastic, so unable to clean it off
2. Some of the foam got into one wing tube when it was moulded - easy clean up
3. One wing servo duff - glitching all over the place - replaced from my parts stock.
Weather for Sunday looks just possible to maiden in, if it doesn't turn any worse.
A good bit of google'ing shows that like the T-45 I bought from QT-Models (excellent plane) this is re-release of an older FMS model, the FMS falcon.
View attachment 183787 View attachment 183788 View attachment 183785 View attachment 183784 View attachment 183786
That looks like it'll be a really fun bird!