FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Hope so!!! Going very simple on this one, no stabiliser, no seperate UBEC.
I have my fingers crossed for the weather.
Maiden today in far from perfect weather but the plane handled it like a champ!
Balanced with a 3300mAh 4S battery which I mounted some 2cm further forward by removing a little bit of foam in the bay. Flew for just over 5 minutes and landed with 57% left, so I have bumped up my timer to 7nminutes and we will see how that goes.
Needed only a click of roll trim and it's rather pitch sensitive so when landed I have reduced the elevator throw a touch.
No pictures or video, I was rushing ahead of the impending rain.

Last edited:

Samh

Elite member
yes. i started just like him (flying thumbs) but was strongly encouraged to support that with my index finger (flying fingers). i have much better control and consistency using fingers, but i made the switch long ago and that is how i fly now. maybe hours of practice again the other way i would be just as good but who knows.

it is an interesting topic though.

how do you fly?

do you fly different depending upon the airplane? fast vs slow, glider vs 3d?

what about a drone?

any helo's out there?

i fly fingers regardless of craft type. airplane/drone/helo all fingers.

me :cool:
I fly thumbs regardless if it is fast or slow or sport or 3D.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
yes. i started just like him (flying thumbs) but was strongly encouraged to support that with my index finger (flying fingers). i have much better control and consistency using fingers, but i made the switch long ago and that is how i fly now. maybe hours of practice again the other way i would be just as good but who knows.

it is an interesting topic though.

how do you fly?

do you fly different depending upon the airplane? fast vs slow, glider vs 3d?

what about a drone?

any helo's out there?

i fly fingers regardless of craft type. airplane/drone/helo all fingers.

me :cool:
big toes all the way

Samh

Elite member
Crap. I just got more engines. Why does this keep happening...

An older guy was getting out of the hobby due to health reasons and it was mentioned in the club newsletter how he intends to get rid of his things. Well one phone call and a $200 check later and I now own all his engines. Pretty sure he was more interested in just getting rid of them than actually making any money. Most of the about three dozen were old and very gummy 20-60 size Japanese 2 cycles which I will probably just sell off since I have no interest in doing anything with them but... there were a few jewels. Starting with an OS 120 pre-surpass. This one's a definite keeper though I have no immediate application in line for it.

View attachment 183725

These two I'm also gonna keep. Another Saito 91! This one's much cleaner than the one I already had. In fact I think neither of these engines really have any runtime on them. Both were still in their boxes. The other is an OS 65 LA. Generally, my sentiment towards the LA series is that they're junk and should be avoided. But the 65s are different for me. Every one I've had has been a strong runner. This one has monster compression and great TDC pinch so I think it'll run good.

View attachment 183727

There were also a couple of these old dinky free flight engines. No idea what the hell I'll do with this either. According to some magazine articles for this thing it put out about 25 watts. By comparison a hot 049 will put out about 75. What does one do with 25 watts???

View attachment 183728
I have the 65LA and it runs great. However if it hasnt run yet, I found to get an intial start the factory recommended setting was extremely rich on the high end and extremely lean on the low end. Just something to keep in mind.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I have the 65LA and it runs great. However if it hasnt run yet, I found to get an intial start the factory recommended setting was extremely rich on the high end and extremely lean on the low end. Just something to keep in mind.
There's some brown on the muffler and sniffing the exhaust port makes me think it's definitely had some runtime. It was just cared for and kept really clean I guess. Generally I wholly ignore the needle settings specified in the manual for any engine; usually the atmospheric conditions from wherever they did the tests to get that number are totally different from where I am, and throw whatever needle settings they specify totally out of whack. Usually I start 2-4 turns out depending on the engine size and then just tune it from there and then focus on the low speed once the high speed is happy.

OliverW

Legendary member
There's some brown on the muffler and sniffing the exhaust port makes me think it's definitely had some runtime. It was just cared for and kept really clean I guess. Generally I wholly ignore the needle settings specified in the manual for any engine; usually the atmospheric conditions from wherever they did the tests to get that number are totally different from where I am, and throw whatever needle settings they specify totally out of whack. Usually I start 2-4 turns out depending on the engine size and then just tune it from there and then focus on the low speed once the high speed is happy.
Same here! My Enya started up at 4 turns out and needed to be leaned about a 1/4 turn

OliverW

Legendary member
Still confused on what happened. Stalled it into the ground after the engine decided it didn't want to run at about 5' off. Didn't sputter which tells me it was the ignition
20201122_152834.jpg

speedbirdted

Legendary member
My estimates do break down sometimes :p I had a Magnum 70 on a Kaos (RIP) which seemed like it needed like 7 turns out to run right. Meanwhile I helped set up a Saito 72 for a club member and it needed like 2.5. Thread dimensions, venturi diameter, needle diameter, that kinda thing...

OliverW

Legendary member
My estimates do break down sometimes :p I had a Magnum 70 on a Kaos (RIP) which seemed like it needed like 7 turns out to run right. Meanwhile I helped set up a Saito 72 for a club member and it needed like 2.5. Thread dimensions, venturi diameter, needle diameter, that kinda thing...
Nitro is the best. Its way underrated

speedbirdted

Legendary member
If it's so great why is does your place suddenly have retractable landing gear? :LOL:
That's gas, not nitro. Doesn't smell nearly as nice and they all sound bad. Don't recommend. Plus why have a CDI when you can just have a hot little piece of platinum that weighs nothing and does the same thing?

OliverW

Legendary member
That's gas, not nitro. Doesn't smell nearly as nice and they all sound bad. Don't recommend. Plus why have a CDI when you can just have a hot little piece of platinum that weighs nothing and does the same thing?
Gas and glow both have their place. It would be a little weird to run a 2 stroke engine on a 105" 3D plane especially since glow engines get angry if you pulse the throttle a lot

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic