FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I pulled the trigger on what's likely going to be the biggest build in my hangar for a LONG time.

1x VQ Models B-24 Liberator(Silver)

1x Robart scale retract set for above

1x scale bombload for above

5x Saito FA-40

Flying that thing above Edgewater...man it's gonna happen. Hopefully this year at FPVFest, if not, then next year. But mark my words I will fly this thing above Edgewater Airpark at some point.

Build it light, build it straight, take your time. And try to make seams between sheets of covering face aft so the airstream can't easily get underneath and lift it later on.

You better post pics. I want to see this beast come together....

I'm sure breaking in 5 FA40s will be real fun. Me personally I would just hook up all 5 straight to a gallon jug and do all of them at once. Are you going to use the fifth one for spares in case one of the others takes a dump or will it go on something else?

JennyC6

Elite member
You better post pics. I want to see this beast come together....

I'm sure breaking in 5 FA40s will be real fun. Me personally I would just hook up all 5 straight to a gallon jug and do all of them at once. Are you going to use the fifth one for spares in case one of the others takes a dump or will it go on something else?
pics, videos, the works. You know I'ma fill this thread with the sound of four Saitos firing off in unison like a model aviator's barbershop quartet hahaha.

Step number one will most likely be getting the engines started and bench run. Saito recommends something close to 45 minutes of running on the bench before the engines are flyable so that'll keep me busy all week after work. Probably won't even open the B-24's box except to verify FedEx doesn't FedEx it and yoink the manual to peep after it gets too dark to see what I'm doing running engines in until they're ready to fly.

The fifth FA-40 is for Speedyboi. That little porkbutt weighs too much for the Magnum 30 but I'm hooked on it having a 4-stroke thump and >6 minutes endurance.

Last edited:

JennyC6

Elite member
Had a fly today. Different field than normal. Three things of note:

1: They were having a fly in. I knew this much. What I didn't know is they were having a contest as well. Club trainers brought out...one was a Kadet Senior the other a Robinhood 80...3-channel, nitro. You took off, zoom climbed for all those little engines were worth. Timer ran out, they killed the engine. The goal was to stay aloft as long as possible; landing on the tarmac locked your score in. I placed second overall. Also first time I ever flew a 3ch nitro. Won a $20 gift card to my LHS.

2: My Kaos handles wind like an absolute boss and sounds absolutely identical to a manned GA aircraft when it's part throttle cruising. Love it. Flew ten minutes used about a third of a tank. Didn't do too much with it; busy flight pattern at the time just relaxed and cruised instead. Love the versatility of this thing too it's as happy doing that as it is pulling stunts or going fast!

3: Had my Super Sportster in the air alongside a foam T-28 Trojan flown by the guy who runs the hobby shop I bought it from. Bet he got a kick out of seeing it in the air haha

speedbirdted

Legendary member
1: They were having a fly in. I knew this much. What I didn't know is they were having a contest as well. Club trainers brought out...one was a Kadet Senior the other a Robinhood 80...3-channel, nitro. You took off, zoom climbed for all those little engines were worth. Timer ran out, they killed the engine. The goal was to stay aloft as long as possible; landing on the tarmac locked your score in. I placed second overall. Also first time I ever flew a 3ch nitro. Won a $20 gift card to my LHS.

We do something kind of like that at my field at the annual 4 stroke event. Basically it's just a contest fun fly where you can fly anything as long as it's got a 4 stroke on the nose. There are different sub events, last year I think we had most flatspins, carrier landings (2 pieces of rope 50 feet apart, you get 2 go-arounds, if you landed outside them you were DQed and points were distributed based on the amount of "deck" you used) limbo and endurance. Whoever accumulates the most total points at the end wins some silly cheap prize, but it's more about having fun.

Rather than a climb up and glide down event we have an endurance event where everyone gets 1 ounce of fuel to hypermile with. One year a guy brought out a Wanderer 99 with an OS FS-20 on it and won the whole thing with points he mostly accumulated from that one event!

JennyC6

Elite member
We do something kind of like that at my field at the annual 4 stroke event. Basically it's just a contest fun fly where you can fly anything as long as it's got a 4 stroke on the nose. There are different sub events, last year I think we had most flatspins, carrier landings (2 pieces of rope 50 feet apart, you get 2 go-arounds, if you landed outside them you were DQed and points were distributed based on the amount of "deck" you used) limbo and endurance. Whoever accumulates the most total points at the end wins some silly cheap prize, but it's more about having fun.

Rather than a climb up and glide down event we have an endurance event where everyone gets 1 ounce of fuel to hypermile with. One year a guy brought out a Wanderer 99 with an OS FS-20 on it and won the whole thing with points he mostly accumulated from that one event!
My Kaos would be a great bird for that. It's so versatile. Itt'l do aerobatics, itt'l do fast, itt'l float along, itt'l hypermile, and it's got a Magnum 52 4-cycle on the nose. I don't know how long it would hypermile on just one ounce but I know it will float around all day long if I pull the coals out of 'er.

Flew it today for ten minutes in cruise mode and only used a third of a tank or so.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
thought i had another new AIO fpc camera. my last was damaged in last crash. turns out i don't...:(

so i thought what the heck, can we fix the damaged one?

i know how to solder, but will not profess to be any master of the art. i gave myself 1 in a 1000 on this one. the mushroom antennae was split in 3 diff places. 1 on top, 2 on the bottom.

20210430_180052.jpg

guess today is my day. not only did i get it soldered, the camera still works perfect. powered it up and took goggles for a walk and got to end of block no problem. not the prettiest solder but i will take it.

20210430_180100.jpg

guess we will find out tomorrow. i will fly it in the black wing 1x and then hand the controls to a good friend who is dipping his feet into fpv. he is the best pilot in the club and has been flying fpv for a bit but never fast and low. i built him an arrow to get him started but hasn't gone there yet.

anyways, the plan tomorrow is for me to fly while he watches in the goggles to get himself tuned to the speed and low levels. assuming i don't kill the wing on the first flight, he will then take over and try to replicate the run.

cross fingers for us both and the wing. i'm feeling feisty. :LOL:

laters,

me :cool:

JennyC6

Elite member
thought i had another new AIO fpc camera. my last was damaged in last crash. turns out i don't...:(

so i thought what the heck, can we fix the damaged one?

i know how to solder, but will not profess to be any master of the art. i gave myself 1 in a 1000 on this one. the mushroom antennae was split in 3 diff places. 1 on top, 2 on the bottom.

View attachment 199405

guess today is my day. not only did i get it soldered, the camera still works perfect. powered it up and took goggles for a walk and got to end of block no problem. not the prettiest solder but i will take it.

View attachment 199406

guess we will find out tomorrow. i will fly it in the black wing 1x and then hand the controls to a good friend who is dipping his feet into fpv. he is the best pilot in the club and has been flying fpv for a bit but never fast and low. i built him an arrow to get him started but hasn't gone there yet.

anyways, the plan tomorrow is for me to fly while he watches in the goggles to get himself tuned to the speed and low levels. assuming i don't kill the wing on the first flight, he will then take over and try to replicate the run.

cross fingers for us both and the wing. i'm feeling feisty. :LOL:

laters,

Heh, AvE approved finagling. If it's broken no harm in trying to fix it it's already broken haha.

I need to look into FPV on a couple more of my planes. My Super Sportster would be a good candidate I think, but I want a windscreen over the camera for aerodynamics reasons, and that will be a glare issue I think.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Heh, AvE approved finagling. If it's broken no harm in trying to fix it it's already broken haha.

I need to look into FPV on a couple more of my planes. My Super Sportster would be a good candidate I think, but I want a windscreen over the camera for aerodynamics reasons, and that will be a glare issue I think.
Ive tried a few windscreens, never works that well, unless you just really want that "in the pilot seat" view

JennyC6

Elite member
Took my Kaos, my TwinStar out today.

TS Flight 1: 5m on the dot, yet another flameout of the port engine. Grr. Shot a few touch'n'goes with it though.

Kaos flight 1: Ran mint, as it always does. Did a little of everything from lazy low-rate cruising to aerobatics. 15 minutes aloft.

TS Flight 2: Spent a few minutes on the start stand fiddling with the engines. Pulled 3/8 turn out of the port engine low-speed needle, quarter turn from starboard. Sent it back up. 10m aloft, no deadsticks. Cuban eights, immelmans, split s's, a tailslide, inverted, low slow low fast passes, buttered 'er in, and taxi'd back up with both engines running!

Vibin' from it still. You ain't flown till you've had a twin engine ICE bird under your thumbs with both mills pullin' 110%!

Ive tried a few windscreens, never works that well, unless you just really want that "in the pilot seat" view
I don't want the drag of an open cockpit or a camera poked out into the wind. Might do a very tight hole around the lens or something.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
i just finished skinning the simple cubs wing. going fot a l4 grasshopper sheme. tiled skins are harde to get smooth, the paper expands/streches but the tape doens't:rolleyes:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
it's here....!!!!! :devilish:

20210504_170021.jpg

couple things i have been surprised about;

1- the box was much smaller than i thought
2- the wings are STUPID light weight
3- it looks like in the V2 version they have eliminated a lot of the prep work the old ones took
4- how much i can't wait to get it together

this is going to be fun.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

View attachment 199608

3- it looks like in the V2 version they have eliminated a lot of the prep work the old ones took

this is going to be fun.

Looking good! I sure hope this one goes better than your previous balsa 3D bird attempts!

JennyC6

Elite member

View attachment 199608

this is going to be fun.

I know that excitement all too well. I did a derp yesterday and opened the box to my VQ B-24...now it's getting turbo difficult for me to be patient and wait until I have a proper build area set up to actually build the thing in before I start building it hahahah

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I know that excitement all too well. I did a derp yesterday and opened the box to my VQ B-24...now it's getting turbo difficult for me to be patient and wait until I have a proper build area set up to actually build the thing in before I start building it hahahah

my brain is such a scattered mess i'm kinda in the same boat. i have way to much stuff, taking up way to much space, and now i need more to build this plane. at some point something has to give. :unsure:

i guess the first step is always admitting you have a problem. :ROFLMAO:

Bricks

Master member

View attachment 199608

this is going to be fun.

ENVY, is all I am going to say and luv the green over the red.

Bricks

Master member
my brain is such a scattered mess i'm kinda in the same boat. i have way to much stuff, taking up way to much space, and now i need more to build this plane. at some point something has to give. :unsure:

I know I have a problem there's roughly 80 planes sitting around here not including quads, and 99 percent are field ready, charge batteries and go.

JennyC6

Elite member

heh heh. Usually I work out of my lap in my bedroom. That is NOT gonna happen with a 110" wingspan bird. 9 feet. 2.7 meters. The fuselage is nearly as long as I am tall and I ain't exactly a small guy!

I can't wait to fly it over Edgewater.