FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Finally got back from 4 weeks of business trips on Friday to find that the forecast was rain for the next several days. So, I charged my batteries, went to the field, and maidened my FMS P-40 and flew the Little Bird less than an hour before it started pouring. Was great to finally get back to flying again!

Attachments

• BE9568D6-B242-4FAE-94E3-7BE1E322715D.jpeg
    BE9568D6-B242-4FAE-94E3-7BE1E322715D.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

Dante

For fun fly challenges at the field....

- Timed Flight (2 minutes from takeoff to landing - either no timers allowed for anyone, or a caller hollers out at 30 second intervals)

- Bomb Drop (rubber band attach a flat popsicle stick with a nail sticking up to the top of the wing. Slide a washer with a streamer tied to it over the nail. When the plane rolls over, or even does a sharp quick dive, the washer and streamer will come off. Closest to the target wins.

- Spot Landing (stick a ballon on the field, closest touchdown wins)

- Loop and Rolls (quickest time to takeoff, perform 3 loops and 3 rolls and land)

- Lots of Loops (from level flight, 1 minute timer for as many loops as possible)

- Taxi Races (pin several balloons in the field to make a ground race course - quickest time around the course 1 time without taking off wins)

- Formation Flying (for the very brave - two circuits of the pattern maintaining a formation position - behind right or behind left)

There is also a good Model Aviation link with some ideas - I like the "dice loops" https://www.modelairplanenews.com/10-great-fun-fly-events-and-ideas/
I recently made a flying sheet of foamboard ( just a sheet with a motor, elevons, and a rudder- add landing gear right at the front, it could perform all of those requirements with ease because of the slow high alpha characteristics and high controllability. It is also the most fun thing to fly I have ever made, and it took only about an hour to make. That kind of contraption has the best cost to fun ratio of anything, and also performs amazingly. It was the first plane I hovered. Highly recommended

Dante

I built a flying wing by hot wire cutting. I also watched a video in memory of Samm Sheperd, the RC Youtuber. He taught a lot of us in the hobby many things about RC. as well. Samm Sheperd 1994-2018 He passed away in a motorcycle accident. I just thought some of you would like to know whether you were a subscriber of occasional viewer. RIP Samm Sheperd

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Today was rather gratifying for me as I finally designed and printed my first firewall for an RC model aircraft. The motor fitted almost perfectly which was a worry for a while. My first CAD design! Anyway it feels good for an old bloke like me!

having fun again!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Took Rainbow Wing up at the weekend - was having great fun, even flying inverted and then made the mistake of pulling back...cue very hard nose dive into ground, breaking both sides of wing, ripping out a control horn and cracking the firewall. All fixed now and even made it better than new with a more supportive 3D printed firewall.

Last edited:

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
I built a flying wing by hot wire cutting. I also watched a video in memory of Samm Sheperd, the RC Youtuber. He taught a lot of us in the hobby many things about RC. as well. Samm Sheperd 1994-2018 He passed away in a motorcycle accident. I just thought some of you would like to know whether you were a subscriber of occasional viewer. RIP Samm Sheperd
Yeah that was very sad. I was inspired by many of his videos over the years.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
I had asked Samm if i could copy his flying rectangle at the next flite fest and he said go for it. Definitely going to have to make one now. He will be missed.

IcedStorm777

So I didn't crash this today but ya know...

1538535557419.png

Freewing 64mm F-86 sabre. Reciever blacked out and it nose dived full throttle into the ground. Right behind the yellow stripe at the trailing edge of the wing is where the EDF was. It exploded on impact.