FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

OliverW

Legendary member
I built beavis based around flyzone beaver wings. It is the most wide open fuse I have ever seen.
20190717_214537.jpg

Attachments

• 20190717_224933.jpg
    20190717_224933.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Reusing parts from old planes to make new ones is great fun! :D

It looks like you've got some leaning going on with the wings, but as long the wing is square and level with your tail surfaces you should be fine - the fuselage is just to keep them spread apart after all! :p

skymaster

Elite member
Had an interesting night yesterday . I decided to work on one of my oldest builds, which is the FT mustang i had to do a nose job on it but the main thing i could not get around doing was fixing one of the aileron servos that when i power the plane the servo would start jittering and i also notice that the esc would get kind of warm. so i replace the servo and put a new one. well i finished gluing the servo and tested it. i started throwing a fit @#$@$@$@$@. cause i thought i glued the servo wrong. the ones i had on the plane originally where some metal gear servo that came with a bundle i guess that they where digital servos or something cause no mater wich way i turned that servo it would match the other on the way that it turned up and up, instead of one up and the other side down and they were joined with a y harness. so after messing with it. i replaced the other metal servo and wallaaa perfect like the ailerons should work. do digital servos work like this. any of you ever messed with digital servos i am supposing that they are digital servos

OliverW

Legendary member
Reusing parts from old planes to make new ones is great fun! :D

It looks like you've got some leaning going on with the wings, but as long the wing is square and level with your tail surfaces you should be fine - the fuselage is just to keep them spread apart after all! :p
Beavis is a bit to the right... But it will fly. The runup I did shows it has enough power to hover.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I was literally just finishing up editing, reorganizing, and tidying up the overview/guide for the V Sliver plans resource when I refreshed and saw that it had been approved and published as a resource! So, anyone who's interested, grab it out of the community release/ resource center, it's brand new, can't miss it. There is also a link to it on the plans sub forum. Thanks again @Grifflyer for taking the time to make the plans!

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
I tested my AET prototype. Too many real and model planes called "Lancer" already so if I name it anything it will be something other than that. Maiden went well, but had a nasty crash trying to roll the plane. I had another similar prototype once that didn't last long that was able to get off a couple good rolls, but this one doesn't barrel roll. I think the large winglets and too small ailerons and docile 1806 motor don't add up to a good roller. I got some nose work to do. Elevator is a bit weak too. Good news? For casual cruising, this plane is so easy and banks so smooth and clean it's ridiculous, as long as you don't try to roll it. I'll go through my footage including the crash and likely upload it to the show is your maidens thread.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Rebuilt my nose, added some color and decoration. No more attempts at aerobatics and barrel rolls with this one. She'll be a casual yanked and banker. 6 bladed prop will deliver enough thrust to get the job done, while looking extra cool and running nice and quiet. Cut out a Raycorp logo from the enclosed sheet that came with the props and stuck it at the back plate of my fuselage under the motor mount and behind the prop, as this plane will be using raycorp 5x4x6 and 5x5.3x3.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Had a cool thought today.Once I get the funds to order some more plane parts, I really want to make a micro EDF version of my slender delta designs, probably something along the lines of the Sliver because it's very basic. I kind of wanted to make a really big one, but not too convenient for my every day flying field. The micro will work well because the wing has a surprisingly low wing loading of I use a modest, streamlined fuselage, and the EDF will have much lower torque than a prop. I think I'll set it up to blow over my elevator.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I flew the new AET plane again this morning with some wind and tried different props and batteries. It did not like the 1300. Enough wing loading to spare, but the 1806 motor just couldn't get it up. 850 is just right. 5x4x6 props were bad. Too anemic and caused the motor to quit a few times. Gem fan hulkies 5x5.5x3 were too much. The torque caused bad handling and the motor quit a couple times again,and on inspecting the landed craft was super hot. My original choice of Raycorp 5x5.3x3 worked best with no motor incidents, decent handling, and adequate but not great thrust. I'll use these for now, but if I get bored or the motor mount breaks off, I'll raise it up and get enough clearance to try some regular 6x3x2 props. I have a feeling they might be better for this one.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Completely forgot left my battery in this morning after flight. Burnt out a nice new 850. LAME. Windy the whole rest of the day, so I did some maintenance work on my fleet, and have three homey foamies ready to roll. My Sliver had a bad noser last time I flew it trying to do a straight low pass with an 850 in it, so I patched it up. Trying a standard 6x3 on the Tailed Nutball next time I take that one out, and patched up a small chunk a gnarly bush ate from my new plane's wing in an emergency landing.

Attachments

• IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Looking good so far*knock on wood* hope the day stays relatively windless long enough to put all three of my home build planes through the paces today. The Sliver will just be keeping my skill and checking everything's good after repairs. TNB will experimenting with different prop and battery load outs, and the new white plane needs to demonstrate a good full flight with no motor hiccups or handling issues.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Completely forgot left my battery in this morning after flight. Burnt out a nice new 850. LAME. Windy the whole rest of the day, so I did some maintenance work on my fleet, and have three homey foamies ready to roll. My Sliver had a bad noser last time I flew it trying to do a straight low pass with an 850 in it, so I patched it up. Trying a standard 6x3 on the Tailed Nutball next time I take that one out, and patched up a small chunk a gnarly bush ate from my new plane's wing in an emergency landing.

I've done that with a battery before too - not fun!

I made it out to our club field on Sunday to run some Pylon Racing - had a great turn out! Even though I missed FliteFest this year, having 6 planes doing a fast 2 pylon oval circuit reminded me of flying at FliteFest! It was even a heat index of 105 degrees Fahrenheit so we got the full unpleasant weather experience too! :ROFLMAO:

I had 2 mid air collisions with the FT Spitfire, and was able to recover and fly away from both of them which was great!

IMG_20190721_170903_244.jpg

At the end of the day I gave the Spitfire away to a new middle school aged club member who is almost ready to graduate from his Tiny Trainer. He knows he should wait and make the Spit his 3rd plane, but I'm sure he'll have fun no matter what. And now I've got room to build a FT P-40! :D

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
I've done that with a battery before too - not fun!

I made it out to our club field on Sunday to run some Pylon Racing - had a great turn out! Even though I missed FliteFest this year, having 6 planes doing a fast 2 pylon oval circuit reminded me of flying at FliteFest! It was even a heat index of 105 degrees Fahrenheit so we got the full unpleasant weather experience too! :ROFLMAO:

I had 2 mid air collisions with the FT Spitfire, and was able to recover and fly away from both of them which was great!

View attachment 136845

At the end of the day I gave the Spitfire away to a new middle school aged club member who is almost ready to graduate from his Tiny Trainer. He knows he should wait and make the Spit his 3rd plane, but I'm sure he'll have fun no matter what. And now I've got room to build a FT P-40! :D
Sounds like a fun time👍.That's a cool looking plane that club member has, that looks like a longer more stable long EZ.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Flew all three of my planes and I'm 2/3 satisfied with the results so far. The white AET plane can go an entire 850 without hiccups and land. It is anemic and has no aerobatic or axial roll potential, but it is a fairly easy introduction to flying ailerons and not having dihedrals to level out, so I'll count it as a success. The Sliver needed some trim and is flying better than ever so that's two. The tailed Nutball was flying better than ever with a 6x3x2 prop and 1300 mAh 45c battery, but somehow the motor is getting mega hot and having to land early. I'll have to see what's up with that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited: