FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
only 4 of use made it to the field today. i only flew 3 times, edge 540, demon, and crack yak.

speaking of Crack Yak. i can confirm that the Yak55 from bangggod is pretty much identical to the twisted hobby version, just about $30 cheaper and diff name. it does not have fancy the CF landing gear but i don't use them anyways.

20201128_142117.jpg

i plan on reinforcing it with CF strip along full length of fuse (top and bottom) and along the vert stab. i have good Emax, high speed, metal gear servos, and a kicking sunnysky motor. this is gonna be a flyer. ;)

laters,

me :cool:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
4g extra weight but worth every gram i think. ;)

20201128_180648.jpg

i will slice into the foam and slot the CF in. the long horizontals will be cut into 2 to accommodate main wing spar. front X will be cut into top and bottom. there will be another CF strip that runs along entire vertical portion of fuse, just along the "twisted" graphic in top plane. that with some CF to prevent twist we should be locked in.

this is gonna be a fun plane.

Timmy

Legendary member
I "flew" my Tree slapper again, broke my last prop. I've solved all its aerodynamic issues and I've boiled down all the problems lack of pilot skill. Which makes sense because I haven't flown in months. I also tested the Otter and I was shaky on the sticks. Later I glide tested the Tree Slapped and wudyaknow it glides fantastic. My friend has another prop I can use and a fresh supply of propellers should arrive along with my EDF stuff near Christmas.

I kinda wish I asked for a balsa plane for Christmas rather than EDF stuff. Now I gotta wait till May (my birthday) to get into balsa.

Last edited:

Timmy

Legendary member
wudyaknow it glides fantastic
I think if you gave it dihederal it would make an awesome 3ch plane too. I gotta figure out thrust angle too. Oh yeah and I haven't tested the flaps yet! Who know what it'll be like with those on. This plane has a lot of potential, I just gotta figure out how to fly it :D.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Now I gotta wait till May (my birthday) to get into balsa.
I gotta wait until next year too, and probably around the same time (or maybe a bit later). It seems like a lot of people here are getting into balsa. So what do you want to build as a first balsa plane? I was personally thinking about building a Willy Nillies Eaglet next year, they seem pretty nice.

Timmy

Legendary member
I gotta wait until next year too, and probably around the same time (or maybe a bit later). It seems like a lot of people here are getting into balsa. So what do you want to build as a first balsa plane? I was personally thinking about building a Willy Nillies Eaglet next year, they seem pretty nice.
I got these in mind:

Vintage Model Company Spitfire
Old School Models Robin hood
Old School Models Spadport
4 Charlie
Mountain Models J-3 Cub
SIG 4 Star 20

by May, I'll have one picked out.

Thanks @BATTLEAXE for inspiring me!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I "flew" my Tree slapper again, broke my last prop. I've solved all its aerodynamic issues and I've boiled down all the problems lack of pilot skill. Which makes sense because I haven't flown in months. I also tested the Otter and I was shaky on the sticks. Later I glide tested the Tree Slapped and wudyaknow it glides fantastic. My friend has another prop Ii can use and a fresh supply of propellers should arrive along with my EDF stuff near Christmas.
I kinda wish I asked for a balsa plane for Christmas rather than EDF stuff. Now I gotta wait till May (my birthday) to get into balsa.
You’re going to need to get some more stick time in before you get a balsa plane if you want it to last. :p

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Yeah, I almost feel guilty since I have several planes/kits that I haven’t gotten around to building yet and then there are you guys that would build one but don’t have them yet! I’m eager to do it but I haven’t had the time with school and all yet.
Eh, don't feel guilty. We will be fine a long as you make a thread for your progress once you do start those builds.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
caution to all you young ones. don't let your mom catch you looking at pictures like these. ;)

20201130_181611.jpg

20201130_181618.jpg

i knew and was expecting the kevlar but words just do not do it justice in person. when sat side by side with the EF i sent back, there really isn't any. kind of a whole 'nother level.

sooooo happy!!!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
caution to all you young ones. don't let your mom catch you looking at pictures like these. ;)

View attachment 184864

View attachment 184865

i knew and was expecting the kevlar but words just do not do it justice in person. when sat side by side with the EF i sent back, there really isn't any. kind of a whole 'nother level.

sooooo happy!!!

I want one of those once I can actually fly 3d. They say it is a good pattern plane too, but I bet it would feel a lot better to do a low rolling harrier instead of a high speed pass with this plane.

Timmy

Legendary member
When did you start flying? I always assumed that you had been flying for years lol.
No way! I've been flying for one year. hmm well I got my first plane 2 years ago. I started with FT planes and stuff December 2019.

Last edited: