FTFC Build-Ruary Simple Cub, Simple Scout, Old Fogey, and Versa Wing by Daniel Kezar

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
You never a need to apologize. We all understand life tends to hit while you have big plans.

Sounds like my 2018 WWII D&B challenge entries linked in my signature. Just as I was hitting a good stride and getting somewhere, life hit me squarely in the ding ding.

Keep at it. I would say I haven't seen much on the Scout. enter that.

You already have the 150% B.A.T. Do you think you can fit it all in? When I'm in my right-er mind I try to leave 1 week of slop. So if I think I can easily get it done inside 3 weeks I should be OK.

anyway... you know where the other Challenges are.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
well i have done the wing and most of the fuse of the scout. i have the footage. i will post it at the same time as the versa wing footage.
doesnt look like im going to be able to maiden any as it is currently getting dark but i can maiden them and paint them for march madness.
so far im putting the simple cub in april showers, B.A.T. and Simple Soarer in march madness.

i could put the old fogey and perhaps the scout and versa in march madness as well. the scout, versa, and simple soarer would all be less challenging because they are mostly finished already so the only things i would really be building are the B.A.T. and the fogey (if i enter the fogey).

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
oh, also, yeah im back now. the big presentation and exam are over. they went well. stayed up until 5am to finish the presentation. i did an experiment and filmed it and i was editing a video together and it kept messing up. first windows movie maker said the files were corrupted, then i tried other software which was horrible and a big waste of time, then i went back to WMM and had it just right and had even practiced with what i was going to say but when i tried to save it it said a file was missing then i selected the wrong one because it was 3am so i messed it up and had to start over but when i did that the video ended up a minute shorted and i realized what i had forgotten and redid it again to get it right. everyone loved it (it was about dog training with my puppy) and it made my presentation long enough so it was worth it.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
so its currently 11pm EST so i have to have this done in 1 hour. versa wing video is rendered. uploading to google drive now so I can link it. I dont think i can simple attach or insert a file that big. 1080p 30fps and around 5 minutes long.

so do i link it in my first post or make a new post here? also im still a bit confused about the whole reflecting on the build thing and the rating system with the little cartoonish pictures.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
You're good - it's only 6:30pm in Hawaii - take your time!

Looking forward to the vid

DamoRC

haha! i guess so!! well im not going to get the simple scout video done tonight but the simple scout isnt finished yet either so thats okay. the versa wing video im going to link in a minute but it is processing right now.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
FT Versa Wing Mostly Finished Build Video

Okay!! Versa wing has been almost done for a while now. i made the pusher configuration motor mount today (assuming i post this before 12am 3/1/2018) and mad eht ebuild video. all thats left is electronics and those wing tip cover things.

video here

i give the build 2 x-acto knives out of 5 because it wasn't as simple as just a sheet of foam as a wing but overall it was quite simple. A lot more difficult to mess up than the other planes with a fuselage that i have built (although i still managed to mess it up by getting the aerofoil difference between the two and having a gap where the two wings join).

havent flown it yet.

spent about 6-10 hours on it so far. 6 being the absolute lowest. very fun build. I highly recommend it. we will see how it flies. if it flies well then i may slap an AIO fpv camera on it.

when i was checking balance i thought that this might be fun to "gliderify" since wings are so efficient and its only 2 sheets. could work well. might build a couple more to try that with (someday, always someday).

edit: stuff i learned:
when Josh says in the build video to "make sure the overhang of the trailing edge of the second wing matches that of the first when you fold it over" it is very important and do that right. it makes the wing a ton (like good 3/8-1/2") thicker if you even get it off by 5mm. yes i know i just mixed units in the same sentence. im evil. lol.

so make sure you get that right and make sure you center your servos and have the horns on with the screw BEFORE you fold over the wing. (yeah i messed that up too)

edit 2: the build video of what i have done so far on the simple scout will be done tomorrow.

edit 3: forgot this:

What Went well: great build. my first wing. it was really simple and fun. i think its going to be a great flyer.

What I should stop: messing up.. lol... using an x-acto thats been used on 4 builds, burning myself with my glue gun on high temp setting, using the same build surface for all builds because its messed up and isnt very flat or sturdy.

What would be helpful to start: centering servos and putting on horns BEFORE folding over the wing, watch ahead in the build video right before the next step so i dont mess up as much. GET A NEW BUILD SURFACE!!

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Great Video!

It seems like you learned a number of VERY valuable pointers... the hard way.

I look forward to the Scout progress report, and I love the Versa Wing you built. I cannot wait to see it fly..

RMDC

That was a fun build video. I've gotta give you props for hacksawing that motor mount. I don't trust myself to do it well enough - I'm just waiting for my 3D printer to arrive next week so I can print out a pusher firewall in one piece.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Great Video!

It seems like you learned a number of VERY valuable pointers... the hard way.

I look forward to the Scout progress report, and I love the Versa Wing you built. I cannot wait to see it fly..

thanks! I cant wait either! haha! Scout video coming tonight!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
That was a fun build video. I've gotta give you props for hacksawing that motor mount. I don't trust myself to do it well enough - I'm just waiting for my 3D printer to arrive next week so I can print out a pusher firewall in one piece.

thanks! a 3d printer is on my list of tools for "someday" haha! the hacksawing was quite tricky and i did almost rip open a finger a number of times. even through all that it really isnt that great and i will need to use an x-acto a significant amount to get everything to fit right. definitely going to be using a lot of glue and probably some tape on it.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

so i had a big long amazing thing about the simple scout. it was great. it was funny and wonderful and i was LITERALLY SECONDS FROM POSTING IT!!!!! (took me like 10 mins to write)

and my laptop does this thing almost everyday where is acts like it would if it was a desktop and the power went out. screen goes off, HDD and fan stop, ect...
and i lose all i was working on. i was really hoping that the autosave on here would have saved it but nope.

sell anyways im not going to write the "what went well, what i should stop, what i should start doing" thing because i already did that and its gone and its almost 1:30 am.

heres the video

quick summary of the went well, do better thing:
i did a great bevel(for me) and the glue hinges were better that on the versa.
nothing went really bad so far but i should stop staying up late like right now.
i should start saving up for a new computer and also getting sleep.

k gonna post this so i dont lose it again.

when i get it finished i will do this thing better

oh and i give the build a 3 x-acto knives out of 5 because it was harder than the versa wing with lots of little pieces and such. might have to bump it to a 4 after i do the stuff with the poster board and the formers.
also what is the standard for this rating system? i assume 1 is like ft flyer with very minimal parts and flat wing and i guess 5 is like the X-29 or whatever it is that Andres designed? something like that. please correct me if i am wrong and the simple cub is like a 2 or something.

edit: yay it posted! its 1:31 goodnight.... :p <--no sleepy emoji with zzz and stuff so tongue out i guess works.

FoamyDM

Great Dan, I personally have an aura of Mechanical Malfunction to about 10 ft, so I understand. and thank you for getting this up. I really enjoyed the vid. I really need to start doing that

I suppose there really isn't standard but I would rate the Nutball or Ft Flyer a 1 blade, and the nnA-10, FT - X-29 and XF5U-Flapjack as 5 blades.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Daniel - excellent work on the videos. I was particularly impressed that you went ahead and built the pusher mount for the versa and it came out great - nice skills.

DamoRC

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Great Dan, I personally have an aura of Mechanical Malfunction to about 10 ft, so I understand. and thank you for getting this up. I really enjoyed the vid. I really need to start doing that

I suppose there really isn't standard but I would rate the Nutball or Ft Flyer a 1 blade, and the nnA-10, FT - X-29 and XF5U-Flapjack as 5 blades.

haha!
next time i will be sure to take pictures along the way and post them as well as the timelapse at the end. i am also going to be putting a digital clock in frame so i can keep track of time! haha!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Daniel - excellent work on the videos. I was particularly impressed that you went ahead and built the pusher mount for the versa and it came out great - nice skills.

DamoRC

"skills" lol. as if i have those...

it looks sorta okay in the pictures but the pieces don't line up as well as they should so they will need quite a bit of shaving with an x-acto before they fit. looking forward to getting it flying!

we just had a big storm where i am located and the winds are still in the teens and gusts to 30mph so it may be a while.