FTFC'18 WWII Grumman XF5F-1 Skyrocket, by Grifflyer and JimCR120

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
FTFC WWII, Grumman XF5F, JimCR120, and Grifflyer

Me and JimCR120 are going to be working together on designing a Grumman XF5F
61395ef967946d7720d1cd23b0c6024c.jpg

@JimCR120 was unfortunately unable to finish his build, but I have completed a twin A pack version of the plane.

a.jpg
Plans: Grumman XF5F Plans
Instructions: Grumman XF5F building instructions

Attachments

• Grumman XF5F instructions.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Cool!! This was one of my choices if I were to go it alone and thought I could learn cad in a short time. Thankfully Rockyboy recruited me again so I did not have to go thru that much so quick. Good to see people teaming up on these as well. I had a great time working with Team Rockboy on last years builds. I think this year will be even more fun with what we have in the woks already. Good luck guys will be watching this move forward.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Very excited to watch this one progress! I think when the artists were working on the Star Wars Pod Racers they had one of these in the back of their mind :)

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I was fortunate enough to have Grifflyer invite me to join him with this project he proposed, the Grumman XF5F-1. Like many experimental aircraft of the era, it does grab ones attention. As a Navy retiree fond of warbirds this one certainly fits my interests. It has quite a bit to boast as well. Aside from building a scale aircraft, it has some other attributes that I have yet to experience such as retractable landing gear, dual props, dual vertical stabilizers, and a tail hook. How could I not accept?

I am well pleased and enthused with this project and look forward to sharing our progress and the final build.

Grifflyer and I will each be working designs and builds at our separate locations and conferring on the side. Any details useful for others will be shared here in this thread.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
OK so I am now building a 31 inch version to be powered of a twin A pack

I have finished V1 of the plans and finished the tail section

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

Namactual

Elite member
Wow, that is coming along rather quick, it looks great so far!

My vote would be for strapping some red bottoms to it though. If you can't rip off the poster board with air speed, it's not fast enough. ;)

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Good job so far with the fuselage section. It's looking scale! I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes along.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hey, Namactual I'd love to go 4s with some 2205s, but I only have one hmmmmm, anyway your F-1 looks amazing

FoamyDM thanks,

I installed the wing

1.jpg

2.jpg

because this is running of two batteries, one in each nacelle, this is where you receiver and jumble of wires will end up;)
3.jpg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I made one of the nacelles, although it came out a little big, and I've found some stuff to change when I build a V2

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

e.jpg

This is where one of you batteries will go
d.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nice progress. I assume you are putting the batteries in the nacelles under the motors? How will that effect roll and or lateral CG with all that weight off the center line? I would think with the shorter wings it would take more to get it to roll and once it did get that weight moving be harder to stop momentum. Or am I thinking backwards and this will aid in making the roll axis more stable?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Nice progress. I assume you are putting the batteries in the nacelles under the motors? How will that effect roll and or lateral CG with all that weight off the center line? I would think with the shorter wings it would take more to get it to roll and once it did get that weight moving be harder to stop momentum. Or am I thinking backwards and this will aid in making the roll axis more stable?

Yep that's where I'm putting the batteries, and I have no idea how it will roll or if it will be anything close to stable:p so I'm just going to have very high rates for the maiden and see what happens.