FTFC'18 WWII - Ushakov LPL Flying Submarine by FoamyDM

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
doitnow.JPG

FoamyDM

For you yungun's that is Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Predator. His character is goading the alien to come and get him - thereby triggering a deadly trap.

All I want you to do is Finish and fly your plane.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
haha. im working on it. always, always, working on it lol. and yes, i know, pictures, pictures, pictures. they just take sooo long to upload.
say, would it be alright if i made a ft article and linked that? at least for the minwax testing anyways. probably the build too. i will post some pictures and make a build video as well.

FoamyDM

Daniel,

Before you upload, open them and screen shot o snip Snip.JPG . It takes another step, but it will upload MUCH faster.

I say, make an article on your minwax experience. You won't have me stop you. just read any that may be there if you wish to increase the knowledge base, or just document your experience. either way everyone reading will be likely to gain something useful. You certainly will by doing it. :)

It's a great lead-up to the April showers challenge. :p

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
ooh yeah cant wait for that. i need to get some corrosionX, though, to waterproof electronics. would that be okay to spray on my e010s board? it seems to already be waterproof lol since i crashed it in water (fully submersed) and it came out still trying to fly until i unplugged it.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Yeah Daniel, it would work great for that, and thanks for reminding me that I have to do that to mine.

FoamyDM

I know I'm going to spend a great deal of time with my electronics and the control setup tonight... does anyone else take as long with the electronics as the plane build? Uhgg.

OH, does anyone here use a testing rig at home to run things up and test flaps and such? if so, would you share?

FoamyDM

In the months leading up to FF'18 OH, I tried, and tried, and tried to get this boat in the air. no real success. but each time some progress, and always on the cusp of... maybe if I just shift this. (I have nearly a dozen vids of attempts. I will make a compilation, and post.)

I took this to FF'18 and attempted a maiden. It worked, lifted and veered-yawed quickly to the left. My rudder-shy self failed to use it to correct, so I landed it hard. I never got back to it. But I DO have this on my radar still. I am routinely wracked with dumb-me issues like. the wrong props are spinning backward, or the gear is too... something... causing issues. the motor spins the wrong way. There should be ample pull for the weight. The Tail wheel is... workable.

Compilation pending

FoamyDM

I'm afraid it is time for me to buck up, get off my duff and tackle my longer running entries. (VF-9, Flying Sub, and Anime-XF1)

If you have Devo/Jumper T8SG, I made a B&W icon for the Flying Sub icon... in anticipation.
TxIcon.PNG

FoamyDM

I am SO discouraged by this project. (the 15minute battery-killing pizza order prior to the video here didn't set a good tone either)
I have had only glimmers of success, but most look like my attempt yesterday.
I think sent it skyword with a toss, only to have it land in the muddy ditch to the right in the vid.
IMG_20190226_150542701.jpg

I am going to redesign it, rebuild and go again. The goal is success by FF

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
She taught us all a lot, and her sacrifice will be remembered! :cry:

Now, onward and upward! Maybe time for a diet... an increase on the tail surfaces... larger under cambered area under the wing tips... :unsure:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I like the way you both think! although I will need about a two week space to just enjoy what I built.
Definitely continue its development! You seem to be close.

This is just my opinion but you seem to have enough wing area if the build is reasonably light but the elevator and rudder seem tiny! This would not matter if the speed was high enough but a definite problem for take offs and low speed flight. Perhaps a little less scale build until it is airborne and then trim them back for a more scale look if the flight envelope can support it.

Have fun!

FoamyDM

@Hai-Lee I hear you saying that the elevator is a big part of my issue? It's an easy fix.
I found that it was responsive when I got it in the air the once.

I still have the first one on the shelf in my bathroom for a Bouyancy test. maybe I do a single engine test.. tape the ailerons straight. and make it 3-channel. ditch the pontoons, and the tower...

Either way I need to ruminate. The sting if failure still smarts.
Besides, I am still working finishing some other projects right this moment, but I have this as my pet project for sure

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@Hai-Lee I hear you saying that the elevator is a big part of my issue? It's an easy fix.
I found that it was responsive when I got it in the air the once.

I still have the first one on the shelf in my bathroom for a Bouyancy test. maybe I do a single engine test.. tape the ailerons straight. and make it 3-channel. ditch the pontoons, and the tower...

Either way I need to ruminate. The sting if failure still smarts.
Besides, I am still working finishing some other projects right this moment, but I have this as my pet project for sure
I have no doubt that you will get it to fly and even fly well. I have found that sometimes the path to that perfect design needs to be a little indirect or even progressive in nature. By progressive I mean to solve one little problem or flaw at a time until in the end there is nothing left to overcome and it flies perfectly.

Have fun!