FTFC'18 WWII - Ushakov LPL Flying Submarine by FoamyDM

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Stupidly Perseverent - It's how I got to be an Engineer. :) I wasn't paying close attention the first build to things like symmetry and I don't think it was much of a help.

as the Pot calls the Kettle - "Hey pal" :p

An amendment to the recent post on the project: I think I will be waterproofing as I go on this one, well at least the servos and Escs.

I need to get this XF5U-Flapjack situated tonight. Right now I have a ton of pieces.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Stupidly Perseverent - It's how I got to be an Engineer. :) I wasn't paying close attention the first build to things like symmetry and I don't think it was much of a help.

as the Pot calls the Kettle - "Hey pal" :p

An amendment to the recent post on the project: I think I will be waterproofing as I go on this one, well at least the servos and Escs.

I need to get this XF5U-Flapjack situated tonight. Right now I have a ton of pieces.

THE SYMMETRY MUST BE SYMMETRICAL!!!!!!

?OKAYAKO?​

FoamyDM

The Flapjack must still be cooking 'cause it's still in the same condition: a ton of pieces... However, I now have a nearly complete Blood Black Widow Baby, And I am REALLY excited about it! I mean Really Excited!

If I do this right, I will have it in the air tomorrow. And a lot of the the Philly Flapjack ready.

I now have a setup ready for all kinds of other twin-engine A-pack non-sense.

Maybe I can make an A-pack Flapjack... that's just CRAZY - or is it. Honestly, the hard work would be done already.

All that to say this... I'm behind.

FoamyDM

I agree BasherSmasher. I really wish it had flown the first attempt so I could have moved on to the finer points. like buoyancy, and retracting floats with a disengaging central motor, to lock into the propeller.

Oh, the plans I have. This project might actually be the perfect candidate for 3d printing. in nearly every way.

First - controlled flight
Second, water proofing and water landing
Third submersion and sub surface cruising with torpedo action!.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
It would be cool if you flew this above deep water then dove vertical and went into sub mode midair so it shoots underwater very fast, and it would also be cool if it did the opposite to come out, go deep underwater, then go straight up at full speed and shoot out of the water. Those enemies don’t have a chance!

FoamyDM

Some progress on the rebuild

I have reduced the wing thickness. and decided on a straight main fuselage. As I forgot if it was an A vs. B fold, I had to get it wrong. Oh well. This will work.
58 Beta Plan Set LPLFS.JPG
59 Beta Nose.JPG
60 Beta Primary Motor Fit.JPG
61 Beta Adjusted4Spar.JPG
62 Beta Elevator.JPG
63 Beta WingSpar.JPG
64 Beta WingSpar2.JPG
65 Beta SparInFuselage.JPG
66 Beta SparFitUnder.JPG
67 Beta FuseSparTop.JPG

I hope to have wing and empenage tonight. with a Thursday electronics binge.

FoamyDM

More Progress on the re-build. Also Dunk test Imminent.

Anyone want to hazard a guess.. (no electronics dunk, of the alpha model.)

progress Pics
68 wing cuts.JPG
69 PiecesCut andFitting.JPG
70 looking good.JPG
71 FrontView.JPG

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
wow that looks so cool!! i guess that... it will do fine underwater. probably will float too much though.

hey are you on discord? you should get in discord. i can send you the link to the flitetest discord and this other rc discord that's good. you would add a lot. i think you would like it.

FoamyDM

PM or email me the discord link... I was on discord... but it didn't make much sense to me so I may have removed it. It does look fast. three motor seems like it will move.