• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

FTFC20 - April Showers by The Hangar (Simple Stick)

The Hangar

FTFC20 - April Showers by The Hangar - (Build Skill: 4 - Pilot Skill: 4)

Alright, so my entry is the Simple Stick that I made plans for. I uploaded the plans as a resource - Link to plans!
I chose to do the Simple Stick since it flies really well and this challenge would give me the kick I need to get the plans done and a good excuse to build another to train several of my friends on. :)

Wingspan is roughly 41 inches from aileron tip to tip.
AUW with a 2200 3s is about 860 grams
Radial C pack with 8x5 or 9x6 prop (will use a 4s 1500 that weighs about the same weight as the 2200 3s)

Last edited:

The Hangar

any progress on this guy?
Well it was rainy today so it got me thinking about it. I have it all cut out and plan to build it over the weekend. There’s a little rain forecasted for Saturday so I might try to maiden it then, or I might put some floats on (that I built for my very first scout over a year ago) and fly off some water nearby.

The Hangar

Well I have an overflowing boneyard since I hardly ever throw away planes even when I crash them. Probably sounds stupid but it’s hard for me to throw a plane away that I have many memories associated with or that I spent a long time working on. Anyways I’ve tried to go in and throw stuff away that I don’t plan on using again. Well of course the floats happened to be one of them (as well as another plane that I went looking for then realized I had tossed it as well... :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:). Anyways I took the floats from my retired FF cub and those will go on tomorrow. I should be able to maiden it tomorrow or Wednesday!

The Hangar

So I'm not using any special waterproofing techniques on this plane since I'm building it out of the new maker foam. The maker foam is awesome! I love working with it. One thing I did notice that after painting it and peeling off the masking tape it pulled off quite a bit of the paper. I probably should have rubbed the tape on my pants to make it less stick first, but still a little disappointing. I'm hoping I just had a bad sheet or something.
Here's the wing in progress:
1588195204003.png

servo installation:
1588195259815.png

and the wing is done!
1588195340612.png

The fuse is taking shape!
1588195370751.png

Now she has a tail!
1588195464670.png

Tail servos in!
1588195511356.png

The floats I will be using are the ones for the simple cub. Link to the floats
F82886A5-869E-42C8-A049-EAA156894B08.jpeg

Ok, here she is- all it needs now is a sweet paint job!
EA806DE0-524C-40E3-B9FC-1ED21807248A.jpeg

And here she is with the paint! I do plan on adding the black crosses sometime but it was getting late and would have taken too much time.
1588196370374.png

Last edited:

The Hangar

So, the takeaway. I'm super happy with how it turned out. It flies absolutely awesome and is super aerobatic! This is my first time successfully flying off the water and it's a super awesome experience! It was easy to take off and land, and touch-n-goes were a breeze! It was plenty powerful with the radial C pack and a 9x6 prop on 3s. Tips for future builders would be to reinforce the landing gear slots. I didn't when I built it and afterward I couldn't access the rear slots. So far the 2 flights it's had it hasn't been an issue but I can imagine after a couple of rough landings it'll start to get loose. Overall it's a super easy build and a blast to fly off of the water - I highly recommended it!