FTFC20 - April Showers Challenge

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
You have over a month. I am sure it will rain at some point :). But I do kind of want to see someone chasing your plane around with a hose
Oh shoot - I for some reason I thought it had to be in by the end of this month... :rolleyes:

Is it ok to start the plane earlier or does it have to be only in April? I don't see anything about it in the directions post and I also don't see anyone starting their builds yet... Well anyways I have Maker Foam all ready for whenever I can start! :D

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Oh shoot - I for some reason I thought it had to be in by the end of this month... :rolleyes:

Is it ok to start the plane earlier or does it have to be only in April? I don't see anything about it in the directions post and I also don't see anyone starting their builds yet... Well anyways I have Maker Foam all ready for whenever I can start! :D
early is fine, if I can finish last years bird (spruce gosling, see below), I should finish up the Sea Angel with enough time for a Polaris - or something

Rhaps

Elite member
Against my better judgement I think I'll try this challenge.
But I need to decide which movie star should I build?

This:
Murphy.jpg

Or this:
Porco.PNG

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I might perhaps be in, I don’t know... Life is pretty hard today :cry::cry:
Not to make light, I'm no stranger to bipolar depression myself so I'm not trying to come off as facetious, but I do find a simple study of history really helps keep my perspective in balance... no matter how bad today is for you a simple Google search will give you almost any random history figure that has been through worse than you are experiencing now on any given day... doesn't work for everyone but it does for me.

ScratchBuildMast

Elite member
Not to make light, I'm no stranger to bipolar depression myself so I'm not trying to come off as facetious, but I do find a simple study of history really helps keep my perspective in balance... no matter how bad today is for you a simple Google search will give you almost any random history figure that has been through worse than you are experiencing now on any given day... doesn't work for everyone but it does for me.
Thank you, man!

FoamyDM

Against my better judgement I think I'll try this challenge.
But I need to decide which movie star should I build?

This:
View attachment 163574

Or this:
View attachment 163575
@Rhaps - Welcome aboard! I'm sorry I'm a bit behind with some things here... but I will be adding you to the list in a minute. Don't forget a links so we can check out your work and progress. I will be putting together the Sea Angel tonight.

FoamyDM

Can we do Ground Effect Vehicles?????
The "rules" state - fly in the wet. either off the wet on a nice day or through the wet on a less nice day. so do a GEV in a wet lawn/rainstorm.
The Maker Foam makes this task easier, this started before they developed it. (not complaining as you still have to consider protecting your components) in @grifflyers or @SquirrelTail 's case they threw an unprotected plane out. and flew it until it came apart! :D

As always share your thoughts and progress. We love seeing that here!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I´m gonna build this thing! Maybe not in April, but maybe in May. I think it will work much better as a radio controlled plane.
I put together a small version, just the airframe. (So, a chuck glider I guess... ) it's a bit tricky to get the balance with the odd layout, I'm definitely going to have to scale it up a bit. I'm thinking something in the 40" range at a minimum...

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I like amphibious planes in general because I mostly belly land my planes. Water planes inherently make the best belly landers... ;)

FoamyDM

I flew my AP Sea duck 2 days ago. It has a couple squirrelly tendencies but it has been through a broken wing and a mm of dust and about 3 years sitting on the shelf. it is NOT water resistant.

Back then i was flying it on A packs. with red jst connectors for the motors with high gauge wires... which worked for that setup. but now I have F-pack 2204 radials with a 30a escs in there on 1.3Ah 3 cell, It jus isn't rated for that much current.. so the plastic coating around the combined section melted completely off. Thankfully, they stuck in place, and only a few location much have touched... I may have damaged them, but it was a good flight otherwise... time to upgrade wires and connectors. xt30s, then... 4S!