Solved FTFC20 Classic to Modern Forum Challenge!

bracesport

Legendary member
I am hoping for the KK invader (powered and with pitcherons)! :LOL::eek:

FTFC20 thread

Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 9.21.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 6.30.44 PM.png

Vimana89

Legendary member
This little plane flies well with the new nose. I have an imperfect thrust angle, so I busted and had to replace a prop dialing her in. No structural damage and a little trim cleaned it up enough to fly well. Controls are a little more touchy than they used to be. The new nose and the more forward CG where it was tail heavy before make it carry more momentum, which gives me cleaner, crisper turns with less drift, more stability in high alpha, and with the CG forward it actually glides fairly well when I cut the engine.(Imagine that I made it more like the original which was a glider and now it glides!).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

jfaleo1

This could prove to be an excellent project. It's a good way to do racing. I was thinking about the "Toad", but the Quicky 500 is a better choice.

I raced Quickie 500 class at the first NATS it was included in for real in 1987. I have raced the Quicky 500, Scat Cat 500, Quik-V (original V1), and a guys local design in Northern, IL (but that was just in a demo race) it was fast but had a pitch hunting issue due to he LE being too sharp.
All these either has Supertigre, or Rossi engines($65 to $100). When Nelson and Jett got involved it the engines alone were over $400, time for the near broke 21 year old to bow out. This should be relatively easy to build and fun to fly, depending on the motor and battery it could be fast too. guess I will find out. The three projects at one are pretty ambitious for me though...

Vimana89

Legendary member
Loving this challenge so far. It was @FoamyDM 's Buildruary that pushed me over the hurdle and finally got me building and flying successfully. Using a sim and getting the Champ to train around the same time had a lot to do with it, but busting my butt for that challenge got my build skills just where they needed to be to finally get the ball rolling. Only one of my four planes for that competition flew for a bit and I didn't have the YouTube channel to share vids yet. I know this challenge is gonna push my skills up again, but this time I'm bringing planes that fly and decent footage.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'll be working on a compilation vid and doing further flight testing on my Floating Kidney prototype. Also, I'll be drawing up/writing down specific specs for the 1.0 version. It will make very minor improvements to the prototype. Nose will be the same, but I may change the size and shape of the VS a bit more exact to the original. Its position in front of the one piece elevator will remain. I'll round the elevator a little more to make it look like the back of the original more as well. I'll clean up the electronics and do a bit of through wiring to the spine so there's less stuff on top of the wing, and see about maybe moving the receiver as well. I also think the dihedral angle could be sharpened a bit for better stability and auto-leveling.

Here's a raw clip from this morning with a short bit of casual flight and a simulated dead-stick landing(this baby can glide!)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome to all the new entrants! :D

I think I've got everyone added to the list of entries in the second post - if you don't see your info there, please let me know.