FTFC21 - Seaplane Design & Build by Leaded50, Yokosuka 12-Shi Special Flying Boat (H7Y)

leaded50

Legendary member
Last layer of thinned woodglue is layered on, just to let it dry, and light sanding with fine paper.... and it can even be painted! Before, i plan to do a watertight test. Weight it down a little, and let it sit on water for a while to check if are leaks.
Plans are good to go too!

leaded50

Legendary member
got some paint... to check if are imperfections needed take care of. One place at wing, t nacelles, at tail, on the hatch/canopy. a couple places need a touch with filler, others just smooth out the teared paper on the other type foam ive used.

I cant install motors/esc yet since my ordered bullet connecors aint comed... but did a "express order" in my country yesterday, should be here latest monday. Nobody had metalgear 9g or a 12g on storage though, without a few really expencive ones, more than rest of plane/electronics... . (another order waiting on)

DSC_0801.JPG

Last edited:

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
got some paint... to check if are imperfections needed take care of. One place at wing, t nacelles, at tail, on the hatch/canopy. a couple places need a touch with filler, others just smooth out the teared paper on the other type foam ive used.

I cant install motors/esc yet since my ordered bullet connecors aint comed... but did a "express order" in my country yesterday, should be here latest monday. Nobody had metalgear 9g or a 12g on storage though, without a few really expencive ones, more than rest of plane/electronics... . (another order waiting on)

View attachment 198255
Beautiful as always good sir!

leaded50

Legendary member
Beautiful as always good sir!
Thanks.
Paintscheme of the one prototype is unknown, so will go for typical Japaneese paintscheme at that time. Prototypes is known had from orange to variants of green. Green typical at bigger planes, and greyish bottoms/bellys, so green/grayish it is. :) (and then i could use rest of the green paint i have... ;))

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
Thanks.
Paintscheme of the one prototype is unknown, so will go for typical Japaneese paintscheme at that time. Prototypes is known had from orange to variants of green. Green typical at bigger planes, and greyish bottoms/bellys, so green/grayish it is. :) (and then i could use rest of the green paint i have... ;))
I would almost want to go with a pre-war color scheme of it. All white with the “hinomaru” on it would be so pretty! Possibly having a bit of black on it for contrast would be nice as well. One can only dream

leaded50

Legendary member
I would almost want to go with a pre-war color scheme of it. All white with the “hinomaru” on it would be so pretty! Possibly having a bit of black on it for contrast would be nice as well. One can only dream
Too late. But yes, i thought about it. Im already finished with main colors, and working with insignias and markings.
One other thing.. this plane made after directive "Shi - 12" was ment to be the first longrange Japaneese airplane, to attack Pearl Harbor ,eg..
It was ment for war.

code.png
H7Y1_01.png

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
a bit difficult to see.. depends on light (hope i got it approx here)

"panels" on! How did i do it? Just with a woodworker pencil, some fast lines here and there, not perfectly made, some places little, some places more. Then rubb the graphite from pencil lines with a finger. Quite fast it get the centerline, and shadowed dirty around.

The plane is now fully painted, and when whole plane got some panel lines with the pencil.... its one layer with clear coat spray.

DSC_0804.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
coming together quite good. Pictures dont show details as "panelling" though... bullet connectors hopefully comes in mail tomorrow, so can install motors and el.components, and shut the top of nacelles too. Weight without any electronics without 2x9g servos = 415g

DSC_0805.JPG
DSC_0806.JPG

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob

View attachment 198255
THIS LOOK BEAUTIFUL!

cyclone3350

Master member
@leaded50 . I can not believe that I totally did not see this thread until now. I have been going over your work, and your construction method is how I envisioned the way I was planning on doing my prototype. @ least now, I know it can be done. Outstanding work U got there and what an awesome choice to do.

leaded50

Legendary member
@leaded50 . I can not believe that I totally did not see this thread until now. I have been going over your work, and your construction method is how I envisioned the way I was planning on doing my prototype. @ least now, I know it can be done. Outstanding work U got there and what an awesome choice to do.
Thanks! Nice known that i perhaps could helped someone make a model.
You know, even by making planes at full size, they uses flat "boards" as skin. Its how many parts its divided into, that decides how "rounded" the total shape will be.:)

cyclone3350

Master member

View attachment 198255

I like the way U got the wing and fuse faired together. I have a similar type and it was causing me anxiety thinking about how to go about doing it. A job well done on those nacelles.(y)