Flying Boat Seaplane build

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That fuselage shape specially up near the nose reminds me of a Northern Pike with those colors on it. It looks awesome and I hope it flys as good as it looks for you. Thats a TON of work and detail. Great job mate.

leaded50

Legendary member
Thanks guys! youre right by pike-similarity @PsyBorg :D I wouldnt say it was a hefty hard work to do it... The inverted seagull wing as outer parts detachable, and incident/ vs. prop thrust line measures , to eg ensure clearance for the prop to fuselage , was perhaps the things doing "worst" work. The reinforcing/spar system, where also the pontoons are supported too. Enjoyable design and build creativity trigging :)

leaded50

Legendary member
its still heavy rain here, and my medicine needed dont allow me drive to a testplace... so reached out to a neighbor remembered he have a indoor swimmingpool.. "could i make a float test please?" Not me, but a model plane! :LOL:
i see the rear floats a touch higher, as the darker part here... and the wingfloats are perhaps a touch to low..... it keep it fully stabile, without any tipping to sides.... How it will function i dont know before trying in flight.... to land with just one of them going into water first, easy can spin and tip the plane.. Its some work to readjust height, need opening up the wing... hope i dont need....
It did looked nice on water though.. :)

Be.png

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The 2814 motor showed up today, and got installed. Perfect for the 9.5 x 7 3-blade prop at 4S, with a thrust approx 600+ g more than the plane weights. Well it are a touch under approx. 1/2 inch clearance to fuselage, but thats enough :) its no movement there. No difficulty go off at grass. (just too short yard here..)
Install the dummy 9cyl. radial motor when it comes, some adjustments on the ailerons, and its ready!
Now with a "stolen" reciver though (from another of my planes) . It couldnt even setup throttle "lock".. and battery is under the cockpit.. dangerous near fingers...
! need some nice weather, with the rain stopped, to go on a watertest. (the plane can take water.. not so much me.. :ROFLMAO:)

I got a few minutes "between raindrops", to take a few pics more:

View attachment 178501 View attachment 178502
Wow, amazing!! :cool:

leaded50

Legendary member
i ordered a 4108 motor specially for this build.... but found easy the 2814 motor fits better. The 4108 have lower KV, and can take 15 inch props.... its no place for that anyway... when started checking out how to build it, i found approx 9.5 inch prop would be max to fit correct the size, of 1000mm fuselage length. I suppose i can find another build to use that 4108 motor, (or build anything :sneaky: ) Lucky enough Motion RC had a good pricetag, quick service from Germany, and 9.5 x 7.5 prop ment for a Liberator model in store. When searched in Norway, no shop had even a 9.5 3blade prop... closest i came was 9 x 5 3blade. (and that i already had here) Perfect motor & prop for this build!
With smaller motor, its big spacing in that nacelle though... 9cyl dummy radial will fix that :)

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
ooooooo thats super cool. Is it 3d printed???
Its a Park Flyer Plastic dummy engine , with own painted and some valvetrains.. weights nothing, and does give good circulation with heat disappearence, since used only half front part and cutted valve"tops" to get less radius to fit in place. This motor nacelle needed a such one, its too openly in main sight. im happy with the choice.